The World's Worst Datacenter

looks like either a small system builder or someone with a folding addiction.
either way, looks like a cable management seminar is in order.

are these the before pictures of a fire?

this is pretty poor....

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

2 x Dell Poweredge 1600SC Each with 2 x Xeon 2.4Ghz CPUs, 1 gig Ram, 2 x 36gig 10K SCSI Drives (RAID 1) and 1 stand alone 36gig 10K SCSI and on top is a NAS 2 x 500gig RAID 1 server.

1 x Cisco 2950 24 port Switch (Patch Panel in the other side of the wall (long story as to why)

1 x BT Wireless ADSL Router (for VPN)

these are part of a file server node, hidden away in the lower floor of the building and will be removed in the next 12 to 16 months.

Nice pink wallpaper. And if you didn't notice, it's a girl. hah. Check out the female hands in the last picture.

Looks like it was staged...

Also, seems like a lot of the configs are the same.

I recall seeing that picture years ago...someones Folding farm.....rather than an actual data center.

This is by no means a data center, nor was it ever intended to be.

This is somones folding/seti farm that they brew at home. I can say I've seen worse condition bedrooms before.

This is by no means a data center, nor was it ever intended to be.

This is somones folding/seti farm that they brew at home. I can say I've seen worse condition bedrooms before.

definately looks like a distributed computing setup

That is absolutely ridiculous. I realize it's a potentially good cause but why do all of that personally just for folding?

I have had this convo before

Folding is intended to use up wasted cycles you are not supposed to setup system just to fold. It creates pollution etc which in turn adds to the general ill health of the population.

I have had this convo before

Folding is intended to use up wasted cycles you are not supposed to setup system just to fold. It creates pollution etc which in turn adds to the general ill health of the population.

Please, I invite you to the Distributed Computing forum. There are some who setup systems to fold because they've had loved ones who've died.

If pollution is your only argument as to why you shouldn't setup computers just to fold, I really, truly hope you aren't a lawyer.

Oh ya, all the pictures that everyone seem to think that the computers were used for folding, they were being used for Seti@home projects.

Please, I invite you to the Distributed Computing forum. There are some who setup systems to fold because they've had loved ones who've died.

If pollution is your only argument as to why you shouldn't setup computers just to fold, I really, truly hope you aren't a lawyer.

I am just saying that it is supposed to use "wasted cycles" not cycles that you create just to fold! I fold but I use servers that have to be up for business. The cycles that would normally just go to waste I give to folding. I do not agree with creating farms to fold as this is not what the folding program was intended to do.

I agree with folding on system that need to be on anyway! The argument that people set up folding farms because a loved one has died is not a valid excuse! Its harsh to say but what use is it to them, they are dead. We are just polluting an already poluted world in the hope to cure diseases that, by burning fuels etc, we are helping to create! We all know that a lot of folders only do it for "the numbers" and you would be naive to think this is not true.

Wasted Cycles Only

Jay_oasis said:
I do not agree with creating farms to fold as this is not what the folding program was intended to do.

Um, no. Have you even installed the FAH client before? Obviously not, because if you had, you would notice the NUMEROUS options involving CPU Utilization, Numbers of CPU Cores, Instances of FAH to run, running FAH Client at idle or otherwise. There are a myriad of configuration options which support running FAH on computers solely dedicated to FAH. Why a console version? Why does it support Electron for Network stats? Why are there so many packages around that get you from nothing to a operating system + FAH in about 10minutes?

Honestly, your argument isn't very well thought out.

Moreover, most ppl. that run dedicated FAH on a DC farm, usually don't run it on very high specced machines - and it's usually only a stick of ram, disk\cd drive, mobo+cpu. Add a ~200W PSU, and 12 machines - 2400W isn't that much, considering we have what? 1100W PSUs just for one computer nowadays?

Even moreso, where would all these old PCs be going if they wern't being used? Ultimately - Landfill. Oh wait, burning fossil fules and contributing a Ton of greenhouse gasses every, what? 10 years? or contributing to Landfill. Looks like it's a lose\lose. May as well squeez out a few more years of life out of the PCs before they're put to rest, yes?

Case closed.

did you read my post?

I said that i also fold.... so yes I have installed it. :rolleyes:

[H]orde Basics:

Q: What is the [H]orde?

A: The [H]orde is our Distributed Computing team. We use our spare CPU cycles to help Research Organizations attempt to find solutions to some of today’s major illnesses.

Even moreso, where would all these old PCs be going if they wern't being used? Ultimately - Landfill. Oh wait, burning fossil fules and contributing a Ton of greenhouse gasses every, what? 10 years? or contributing to Landfill. Looks like it's a lose\lose. May as well squeez out a few more years of life out of the PCs before they're put to rest, yes?

Case closed.

That is a very valid point there.

I believe the point that they are arguing over is this -

Should you buy new PCs for folding? Probably not.
Should you use old or unused PCs for folding instead of putting them in a landfill? Yes.

I'm about to set up a A64 X2 3800+ Ubuntu server for my grade school - LAMP server to run moodle. Naturally, 90% of the time (if not more) it is sitting there doing nothing, so it would be stupid not to put folding (under the school's name on team 33) on it and set it to low priority. It would instantly zonk out when PHP pages were requested and do some good overall when not.

I am just saying that the old computers could be donated to charity and used in that way. To be honest if the PC isn't good enough for charity then how many WU's per Watt will they actually produce?

I invite you to stand outside a coal power plant watching how much pollutants it spews into the air you breathe....

then realize, it takes 30 of them just to power people folding... how many cures has folding blessed us with ?

so far, it has done more bad than good.

Back