the world is gonna end

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
bet not very many of you guys that go into the amd forum from time to time expected to see me with one of these.. without being dead ;)

631.jpg

waiting for my board to show up tomorrow (thanks again mav ;)) and some fun should be had on the dark side :p

Nice, a Cedar Mill..

I just went back to Intel too, only I went back to a NW... I got it cheap from my buddy and I really cant tell the differnece between it and my X2... Still much better than my old XP though.

There are some things I really love about Intel's chipsets and hate about NV's, such as the SATA implementation that made me want to ditch it for a while. How I wish AMD would make an enthusiast chipset worth a damn...

i really just wanted to have fun actually, but there's a logical reason for this:

intel's memory controller. as it stands now, the AM2s are far to finicky and don't clock well enough for me to REALLY have fun with ddr2, so.. this will be my ram testing rig until that time :D

kinda o/t about amd for a sec.. i wouldn't be surprised if they use a bit of their extra fab capacity to start making chipsets again, but they don't really have the resources as of yet to really make something worth much imo :p

*checks to make sure im in the intel section* yeap its the intel section. *double checks just to make sure*. *dies*

:D

That was my plan too. Cheap system to screw with OSX, actually.

Then I realized that I couldnt tell a difference in windows and my CPU+Vid was worth $500 to a buddy of mine, the 6800GT is plenty fast for 1280, and the P4 actually runs a hell of a lot cooler, even at 3.8.

*shrug* I was more impressed with teh system that I thought I would be. Easily outruns any A64/XP single core Ive used.

Hell, the p4 keeps my system smooth even encoding FLAC files and ripping a CD directly to MP3. I was impressed. That bogged down my Winchester like no other.

HT may have been a hack, but it was a damn good hack..

brucedeluxe169 said:
the world definately aint ending
you don't know me well enough then ;)

lithium726 said:

Then I realized that I couldnt tell a difference in windows and my CPU+Vid was worth $500 to a buddy of mine, the 6800GT is plenty fast for 1280, and the P4 actually runs a hell of a lot cooler, even at 3.8.

*shrug* I was more impressed with teh system that I thought I would be. Easily outruns any A64/XP single core Ive used.

Hell, the p4 keeps my system smooth even encoding FLAC files and ripping a CD directly to MP3. I was impressed. That bogged down my Winchester like no other.

HT may have been a hack, but it was a damn good hack..
yeah, HT is a good hack. HTL is a good hack too ;)
the way i see it, intel makes good single cores for multitasking, and amd makes awesome dual cores, because the ht link allows for much better scaling, and lower access latencies. but then, the memory disambiguation that conroe has makes for some impressive latency numbers for having an off-die memory controller... it'll be interesting to see how much better latency gets when intel goes with an IMC

I was always an Intel fan until P4 came out and the Athlon was kicking its butt. Intel has always had the best chipsets, IMO. I'm back with Intel now and it feels good to be on the dark side again :D

lithium726 said:

I went the easy route and got a Celeron D 315 to mess with OSX, got bored of it quite quickly though. There just simply isnt anything of interest with Mac's and their OS, I try to give them a shot too.

wee96 said:
I went the easy route and got a Celeron D 315 to mess with OSX, got bored of it quite quickly though. There just simply isnt anything of interest with Mac's and their OS, I try to give them a shot too.
I found the same thing :p

Havnt heard much experiences on Cedar Mill cores since they came out as everyone seems to be getting a 9xx processor if they go Intel. How much cooler are they and will they overclock better than a 6x0 processor?

Is that a AW8? If so, mine doesnt look like that at all. Just may be warped. Only to know is to power it up! Also, good luck with that stock heatsink. I dont OC yet and I idle at 50.. and load at 65. I up the FSB by 10 and idle at 55-58 and load at 70.

yeah, i'm hoping it'll be enough cooling power for now.. i was able to mod my s939 waterblock to fit AM2, but lga775 might be a stretch..

and yes, it is an abit aw8. and it is warped. very warped. that's why i'm worried. stupid lack of a backplate :p

eh, ive got a 6800GT that is kinda warped like that, the end of hte card (where the AUX connector is) is bent... its never skipped a beat though.

(cf)Eclipse said:
bet not very many of you guys that go into the amd forum from time to time expected to see me with one of these.. without being dead ;)

*giant picture of Cedar Mill goodness*

waiting for my board to show up tomorrow (thanks again mav ;)) and some fun should be had on the dark side :p

You okay there, clipse, buddy?

The power of the Dark side....ah, you can learn many things from it. ;)

Seriously though, I was super impressed with the Athlon X2s, but motherboards and costs left a sour taste in my mouth. I built one for a friend, and thought about getting one myself, but decided to stick it out with my old P4 northwood in the sig. In single threaded applications, even games, I could never really tell a difference between my old roomates 3200+ venice and my P4. I figure, hey...thats a good thing.

Enjoy the 631 Eclipse. They are crazy clockers.

mwarps said:
You okay there, clipse, buddy?

no, haha. :p

an oddity. i figure the bios is misreporting. i booted up and checked temps in the bios. 15-17c, and it slowly rose up to 20c and stayed there. stock heatsink :cool:

installing windows now, then i should have some fun once i get the drivers installed and stuff. need to figure out an easy way to switch between amd and intel rigs without moving my os drive back and forth and moving a whole bunch of power cables around.. i guess it's time to buy a 2nd good psu and hd :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
oi. is this normal? it doesn't seem very safe :(

mobo.jpg

Oh yeah......thats very normal. My last couple mobos looked almost like bananas. If you are ever gonna install this on a mobo tray, screw in those plastic stand offs under the CPU area for added support. But make sure you brake the oriantation pins off the stand offs.

I use these

Ughh, the stock intel cooler gives me nightmares just lookin at it. So loud, and barely cooled my wifes 805 at stock speeds. Is yours pretty loud at full load eclipse?

Well, i know u dont liek ASUS, they OK, but they seem to be better on the Intel side.

As for the heatsink, the cedar cores run MUCH cooler. You can probbaly add a bit of V to it before it gets too hot.

eNJOY E!!!

MC FLMJIG said:
Well, i know u dont liek ASUS, they OK, but they seem to be better on the Intel side.

As for the heatsink, the cedar cores run MUCH cooler. You can probbaly add a bit of V to it before it gets too hot.

eNJOY E!!!

Yea I was curious to see if the 65nm cpu's caused the stock cooler to become the typhoon it is with the 90nm ones.

wee96 said:
Yea I was curious to see if the 65nm cpu's caused the stock cooler to become the typhoon it is with the 90nm ones.
it started off at 1080rpm.. basically dead silent, but i wasn't liking the ~45c load temps at stock, so i cranked the fan to the max, which is around 2650-2800rpm, and load has dropped to 30c. :rolleyes: sounds reasonably quiet to me... but i'm not a stickler for quiet enviroments

MC FLMJIG said:

eNJOY E!!!
i do like the asus intel boards. i was actually planning on buying one until MAV proposed a trade that i liked, so abit it is :p

btw, i'll probably have something worth looking at just for kicks in a couple min

(cf)Eclipse said:
it started off at 1080rpm.. basically dead silent, but i wasn't liking the ~45c load temps at stock, so i cranked the fan to the max, which is around 2650-2800rpm, and load has dropped to 30c. :rolleyes: sounds reasonably quiet to me... but i'm not a stickler for quiet enviroments
WOW, thats pretty damn good for a P4 on the stock HSF!

Prescotts were topping out at ~70C when they came out with the stock HSF...

If only Cedar Mill wasnt too little a little too late. Sounds like it could be a decent chip like Northwood was. My NW idles at ~24C and loads at ~32 at 3.8Ghz :D

hahaha, well basically no chance in hell are the temps right. 15c idle in windows at 3.7ghz my ass :p

is speedstep on?

If it is, I wouldnt doubt it if youre in a cold room... if not, yeah, time for a BIOS update? :p

lithium726 said:
is speedstep on?

If it is, I wouldnt doubt it if youre in a cold room... if not, yeah, time for a BIOS update? :p
it's a rev B1 chip, i didn't think it had speedstep? and cpu-z isn't showing it slowing down if it is

Wow eclipse, I never thought I would see the day :-p.

Actually, When I went from P4 to A64, I vowed never to go back...and rightfully so, at the time. Now these new core 2 duo's are makin my mouth water. I will wait for K8L, but I would much rather support the "little guy", but when it comes down to it, I want to fastest rig for my $$, which very well might mean Core2.

atm, i'm actually not very excited for K8L. it's revG that's caught my eye :cool:

btw, stock voltage (1.3v) seems to be topping out at just over 3.8ghz in sp2004

(cf)Eclipse said:

Ahh yea, mine would get in the 4k rpm range and sound like a jet, it was very annoying. Not as annoying as my Venus 12 was for my x2 though (80mm fan at 5800rpm, yea haha). I got her the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro though so my ears and the cpu can rest :)

(cf)Eclipse said:
it's a rev B1 chip, i didn't think it had speedstep? and cpu-z isn't showing it slowing down if it is
Fairly certian all 65nm chips have it... but if CPUZ isnt showing anything, it must be off or absent.

Nice OC there! Though a cheap guy like me still prefers his P4 1.8A (C1 step) @ 3.348GHz :D

Very nice OC. the max is running well....

Since U always ask...

Lets see some screenies!!!!! wat mem u using?

will get to it in a bit. just lapped the ihs.. i pulled the heatsink and checked it. not exactly flat, so i took a bunch of metal off.. barely took any off the middle, but the edges is down to copper :rolleyes: :p

edit: temps seem to be ~4-6c lower at load. not bad :D

You will enjoy the 631 - its a fabulous chip, been using one for many months now and its great (Who needs dual core when all you do is play games on a clean system?)

I just wish my P5LD2-VM would let me select speeds higher than 265Mhz FSB, and voltages under 1.1875 (to see how far it would undervolt before it becomes unstable)

the ~25c difference between idle and load is still getting to me. oh well.

here's a cpu-z validation at 4.3ghz. took 1.5v to get there, which is probably prime stable at ~4.15-4.2ghz
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=100292

kinda odd how little headroom there is for benching at higher mhz than stable :confused:

Back