The Windows 10 Technical Preview

How do you guys even tell it's faster. I mean, I feel like there's been no lag on any of my systems since Windows 7. Are programs literally opening a few seconds faster, or what?

How do you guys even tell it's faster. I mean, I feel like there's been no lag on any of my systems since Windows 7. Are programs literally opening a few seconds faster, or what?

I was wondering the same thing. Windows 7 was damn near instantaneous for me on an SSD. I'd appreciate Windows 10 booting up faster though. I'm downloading Windows 10 right now to see what all the fuss is about.

That's alright, the command line thing sounds interesting but most of those are still UI improvements.

Like it doesn't even mention if PowerShell 5.0 is coming with Windows 10 that according to this article is in the new Server preview:

http://www.zdnet.com/first-preview-...available-to-testers-on-october-1-7000034260/

Were there any changes to Storage Spaces? Any Hyper-V improvements? Anything new with SMB? Can we do NIC teaming?

It is actually noticeably faster than 8.1. I just reinstalled 8.1 on my laptop and this is faster by a good margin. Crazy.

I noticed this as well, sure the "clean install" feeling but windows seems quicker to open , even browsing the web seems alot faster under this OS even using the same browser versions i had under 8.1

Going to install it on my 2 rigs at home tonight, see how things go.

Were there any changes to Storage Spaces? Any Hyper-V improvements? Anything new with SMB? Can we do NIC teaming?

Windows 8 and Server 2012/R2 already came with SMB3.0, which among other things supports link aggregation with zero configuration required. Curious what more you were looking for, or is it that teaming specifically was bugged?

I'm starting to think they hired a good psychologist for this launch. Why use 9 when its closer to 7. Makes 7 look younger. So by using windows 10 it seems like windows 7 is old and ancient already. Making people switch over to the new platform. Its a psychological connection. Genius marketing ;). Microsoft wants people switch from 7 already. That's what it comes down to.3 numbers lower seems pretty old to most of the general public. When a average joe hears do they want windows 7 or windows 10 they will think windows 7 is kinda old already because of the number difference is greater than windows 9 to 7. I think its working for them ;)

They needed to pay someone to tell them that forcing a crippled GUI upon people then requires another fix to a desktop broken OS and instead of calling it Windows 8.2 which in all reality it is they skip 9 to call it 10 and then it is the same thing with slightly different layout as 8.1 but with the option to choose desktop or tablet GUI. They needed a long time to "fix" this most trivial problem and scheme people out of more money on something which they could have done at the launch of Windows 8.

And what part of this is marketing? The avg Joe is still running windows XP and does not care.

They needed to pay someone to tell them that forcing a crippled GUI upon people then requires another fix to a desktop broken OS and instead of calling it Windows 8.2 which in all reality it is they skip 9 to call it 10 and then it is the same thing with slightly different layout as 8.1 but with the option to choose desktop or tablet GUI. They needed a long time to "fix" this most trivial problem and scheme people out of more money on something which they could have done at the launch of Windows 8.

And what part of this is marketing? The avg Joe is still running windows XP and does not care.

First of all this release is far from finished. Second, no one has any idea what pricing is going to be on this. It's still possible that this would be a free upgrade for at least existing 8.1 users.

This question was posted on winsupersite, anyone know the answer:

If CTRL+C will become copy in the command prompt, what would be the logical replacement to cancel a running command?

Windows 8 and Server 2012/R2 already came with SMB3.0, which among other things supports link aggregation with zero configuration required. Curious what more you were looking for, or is it that teaming specifically was bugged?

I'm not specifically looking for anything (other than maybe native teaming in Windows 10). But I expect that with every release they are improving various technologies. I'm well aware that Windows 8/2012 came with SMB3.0, that doesn't mean that 10 wont have a new version or that ReFS hasn't been improved or that Hyper-V doesn't have new features, or something totally new that I'm unaware of.

If CTRL+C will become copy in the command prompt, what would be the logical replacement to cancel a running command?

The behvior I believe toogles based on if anything is selected.

I was wondering that too. It's probably a right click command now (or another keyboard shortcut). Are we SURE that CTRL+C is now a copy?

I was wondering that too. It's probably a right click command now (or another keyboard shortcut). Are we SURE that CTRL+C is now a copy?

Yes, the standard keyboard commands work. Behavior of CTRL-C is copy when text is selected. Selecting text and then right clicking implicitly initiates a copy.

This was an extremely easy upgrade from Windows 8.1.

So far everything I had installed before the upgrade is still working. No new drivers needed. I've submitted a few suggestions through the app already.

While it is UI, the new start menu is nice. I like the hybrid concept.

I also was hoping to see more, under the hood changes, but I guess those will take some research.

To those saying it is faster... Windows 8.1 was already pretty slick on my i5-2500k/SSD/16GBram/680gtx; so I'm not really noticing a difference. I've yet to launch something and comment that it was slow though.

10 already? What happened to 9?

Perhaps trying to avoid "xbone" issues - "Windows? Nein!"

Alternatively, sets up the nice "7 8 9" joke.

Ooooor some team was concerned about the fact that the word for 9 sounds like the word for suffering in Japanese.

Take your pick. What's in a name? A nose by any other name would still smell (HT: reduced shakespeare company)

I loaded this up on a bench computer.

Seems like Windows 8.2

It may be a little more modern looking than W7 but I'm not seeing anything earth-shattering, and in fact because I never used W8 beyond the beta, I 've spent a lot of time looking to find things that are just right there in front of you in W7.

I do think the start menu is better than W8......I just need to use it a bit more.

It may be time to upgrade, but I'm not bowled over.

I threw this on an older laptop that I just finished installing Windows 7 Pro on .. both brand new installs .. upgrade was fast and easy .. and 10 is definitely snappier feeling.

AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2GHZ CPU/2 x 2GB DDR2/Radeon HD 4200 Series GPU/80GB Micro SSD.

... tempted to throw this on my main rig .. I definitely like the UI improvements.

Only problem I have ran into is that I get a blue screen every time I shut down the laptop .. it goes to "Shutting Down" ..then gets the "softer" blue screen that I watch the percentage on it as it's collecting data ..then it shuts down. Still shuts down .. and starts up just fine, but mildly irritating none the less.

Just create a local account.

Personally I don't care, the MS account simplifies my daily Desktop OS life. Nice to have shit syncd across all my devices.

Sure, until your data is sync'd across some not-your-devices.

Been testing it for a couple hours and it's not bad for a 8.2 update. Since that is what it is. Calling it windows 10 won't change that. It runs just as fast as Windows 8.1. I have a feeling this will be my new OS upgrade from Win 7. One thing that kind of gets on my nerves is the right clicking start button to reach the restart/shutdown options. Even though it still has the kiddy UI, I will overlook it since everything I use seems to be compatible so far. No BSoD's or crashing. One thing that annoyed me with Windows 8 was the lack of driver support. Had to wait years for all the fixes and patches and even then some of the drivers wouldn't work right. I will keeping an open mind about this new service pack release.

Let me rephrase that again. Win+C will activate the Charms even on a desktop in this build.

Seen lots of little glitches thus far and don't notive any performance improvements over 8.1. One thing that is cool is that 10 seems to persist modern app windows! Postion, size and even monitor loction are kept between sessions. Would be nice to see that come to desktop apps as well as I guess that's been on the list like virtual desktops for years.

What type of glitches? Is it good enough to be a daily driver? Or is it buggy?

10 already? What happened to 9?

Let's all look at the bright side here. Given MS's naming efforts of their products we're very lucky some young hipster exec didn't get to name this "Windows One". Xbox One, OneDrive, and then " Windows One ".

The power options are at the top of the Start Menu next to the user name, so a slight change from 7.

According to what's been reported by the IT media folks, they're were told by Microsoft that this is a very small sample of what's to come, less than 10% and. Microsoft wanted to start earlier with customer feedback. And I think they are pretty serious about that, the Feedback app is pretty interesting. You can see what people are saying in and how many people are yes to any particular response. I've already sent in 5 items today and it's kind of interesting to see what comments are getting high yes votes.

I guess we'll know how serious Microsoft is about this agile approach soon enough. They said this preview would be getting updated rapidly and in place without the need for reinstalls. I think they are trying to stick with the traditional agile time box of two week deployments.

What type of glitches? Is it good enough to be a daily driver? Or is it buggy?

Most of the glitches I've seen thus far are related to modern apps in windows. I used a lot of them so it's something I've been very interested in. This laptop build is 10 hours old. Been using IE out constantly since then, I've tested Office 2013, Word and Excel, will probably try out OneNote a bit. I've played some modern games.

Foundation is stable. I would suspect most desktop apps will be fine if they were on 8.1 as well as drivers. The new stuff, windowed modern apps, slightly iffy behavior in the virtual desktops, nothing show stopping. I'd say it's probably good enough for a daily driver as it is. But this thing is supposed to get lots of updates over the course so stability could easily vary based on new updates.

Could have some input on the number change.
From Japanese culture on wikipedia. "The Japanese consider nine to be unlucky because in Japanese the word for nine sounds similar to the word for "pain" or "distress"

Have they overhauled the desktop icons yet or did they kick the XP icons down the road even further

Hm. Trying to install in VMware and it just sits at "Getting devices ready 50%" and intermittently maxes out the cores for that VM.

Let's all look at the bright side here. Given MS's naming efforts of their products we're very lucky some young hipster exec didn't get to name this "Windows One". Xbox One, OneDrive, and then " Windows One ".

They actually did and you're just not nerdy enough to see it. It's in binary and it's supposed to be spoken as "Windows OneZero" :D

I am totally fine with using windows 7 for 10 more years. I fing hate metro.

I'm currently installing it in a VM, and I WON'T miss the charms bar, one of the worse changes they made with Windows 8.

Personally I like having quick access to control panel and other settings through there. Lot faster via touch, touch pad, mouse or little joystick in the middle of a keyboard than any other method of getting to those settings.

Let me rephrase that again. Win+C will activate the Charms even on a desktop in this build.

Seen lots of little glitches thus far and don't notive any performance improvements over 8.1. One thing that is cool is that 10 seems to persist modern app windows! Postion, size and even monitor loction are kept between sessions. Would be nice to see that come to desktop apps as well as I guess that's been on the list like virtual desktops for years.

Thanks.

It runs quick on a Athlon II X4 620. Faster than 8 or 8.1 did. Even with the crappy integrated HD 3300 motherboard graphics (system not for gaming).

I noticed that it still has the "Add features to Windows" link in the Windows Update sidebar. Might have to see if Windows Media Center will install.

It sure seems much faster to me than Windows 7, and that's both in booting (MUCH faster) and in casual usage. I didn't use Windows 8 much beyond a few hours because I absolutely loathe it so I can't make any comparisons there.

Definitely things that need fixing and polishing still (obviously).... like the damn 'auto-hide taskbar' functionality. Although it's had a tendency to be temperamental in just about every Windows release since 95, it's particularly snarky here.

I'm really digging it sofar.

It sure seems much faster to me than Windows 7, and that's both in booting (MUCH faster) and in casual usage.

Some of this is probably due to having no/few applications installed. I have run windows-8.1 for months now on several machines and I say when you load it equally it has the similar performance to windows 7 although a lot of this could be Symantec Endpoint. I am still not sure what is worse Endpoint or the chance of a virus.

Sure, until your data is sync'd across some not-your-devices.

In order to do that someone has to have your MS account login and password, as well as either access to your MS account's email address or your cell phone. A new machine doesn't get sync'd until you enter a code you receive from one of those two paths.

There's rumor that if you own 8 you will get 10 free upgrade, but we all know how rumors go.:eek:

I am using Win10 on a Vivotab Note 8.... and I have to say, it runs pretty good, however, many of the touch elements (such as swiping up for more features, and "modern" style IE) do not work very well. (Microsoft mentioned this in their video)

Short of it is:
For Mouse/Keyboard Devices... Its a Go! Will be installing this on my main desktop.

For tablet devices...... Maybe wait till the next update... it is much nicer using full screen metro apps in 8.1 vs. Tech Preview.

Back