the unofficial "post a pic of your small form factor cases" (ie Shuttles and others)

SB75S
2.4C @ 3 GHz so far
1 gig Corsair PC3500 @ PC3200 2-5-2-2 Ram Timings
Sony DRU530 DVD burner
WD740GD Raptor
WD200JD 200 gig Sata
Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro
Hercules Game Theater XP

I've got pictures, I just need to resize them and upload em to my host. I'm starting to plan some minor mods :D

Originally posted by esr2
it's actually a noise isolator brand, i liked it better as it didn’t have any of the markings. I had the enermax baybus with temp readout but that was only 2 channels and i needed four.

-esr

Ah, ic. Either way, it looks good.

Originally posted by Dan UCF
SB75S
2.4C @ 3 GHz so far
1 gig Corsair PC3500 @ PC3200 2-5-2-2 Ram Timings
Sony DRU530 DVD burner
WD740GD Raptor
WD200JD 200 gig Sata
Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro
Hercules Game Theater XP

I've got pictures, I just need to resize them and upload em to my host. I'm starting to plan some minor mods :D

i wanna go to UCF after next year, i'll be a senior next year,then after that UCF is my first choice, hows it up there ... i'll bring my shuttle ;)

SB75S>!>!>!>!>!>!>>!>

PICS PICS PICS

and your impressions!

-esr

Ok first with the impressions:
I absolutely love the case, the coating is pretty nice and glossy, I like the stealthed drive, but I have to hold the door down for the drive to close which is kind of a pain. I have a PCI sound card so I probably won't be using front audio, so I like that those front ports are also stealthed, I love the minimalistic feel the case has. Working inside the case wasn't to bad, cramped but I'm guessing all shuttles are going to be. The heat pipe was a breeze to install, so far I've only used artic silver 3, but when I decide to mod this guy I'll reapply with something better. The case temps are kinda high, and I think the CPU is too, but I was getting very similar temps on my IC7. The entire computer is extremely fast, I installed windows in probably 20 minutes.
Overclocking has been extremely interesting so far. On my IC7 I had to set my voltage to around 1.55-1.6 range to get 3.0-3.1 GHz which would crash in Prime 95 instantly. Now on this shuttle I set it to 1.45 and in windows it is read as 1.36-1.376. I'm still able to have 2-5-2-2 memory timings and it chugs along fine in Prime 95 two instances for about an hour and I just havn't gotten a chance to let it run longer.

Ok onto the pictures:
SB75Scpuz.jpg

SB75S001.jpg

SB75S002.jpg

SB75S003.jpg

SB75S004.jpg

SB75S005.jpg

SB75S006.jpg

SB75S007.jpg

Oh yea, and UCF is decent, nothing spectacular. There are things about the school I wish was different though. I've never had good times with the financial aid department, or parking services. The staff in the student union are a pain in the ass, and the teachers in the IT department are mostly horrible. Half the time they don't speak english well, or are just bad teachers. So far I've had only two memorable teachers that have been good in the IT classes. Outside of IT I've had about 5 excelent teachers, but if you can't teach standard math, english, speech, psych, etc. maybe teaching isn't for you.

damm bor that looks schweet...Love the simplcity and that clean look and BTW the Hercules 9800Pro looks hot also...Overall great system Enjoy IT !

Specs in sig....

Mods = Blow Hole w/ 80mm Coolermaster Blue LED Fan, CUSTOM Mesh Window, Blue Cold Cathode

SN85G4_MESH_LIGHT2.jpg

SN85G4_MESH_LIGHT.jpg

Originally posted by ufokillerz
what kind of mesh is that?

I actually got it from a MESH Trash Can I bought at Target for about $5.99. I cut it and spray painted it black. See this thead for a complete list of what I did to achieve the mod :)

That is a very nice looking rig you got there PerfectCr :cool:. What kind of temps are you getting?

Hey PerfectCr, looks like we're thinking a like posting here :D.

-esr

Definitely nice to see more modded shuttles around here every once and awhile. It's also to see the whole mesh window thing goin' on.....I've always been a fan of 'em.....just never really got around to it. ;)

Originally posted by DaveX
That is a very nice looking rig you got there PerfectCr :cool:. What kind of temps are you getting?

Thanks :) Well bear in mind that XPC's run hotter on average then regular cases but here are my avg. temps:

AVG TEMPS
CPU 52C, PSU 49C, Case 36C, Hard Drive (SMART) 32C

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
Definitely nice to see more modded shuttles around here every once and awhile. It's also to see the whole mesh window thing goin' on.....I've always been a fan of 'em.....just never really got around to it. ;)

Yeah the mesh looks much nicer than a window and improves temps. I think alot of ppl are really starting to use XPC's as their main rigs. If you stop by the SFF forums at Sudhian you will meet a lot of folks who have gotten rid of their towers.

The only huge issue right now with XPC's is the fact that ATI AIW Cards have a hard time. The other common misconception is that the PSUs are not powerful enough. People run RAID arrays and everything and they hold up.

This is my second Shuttle (first was a SB51GB) and I love them. PLUS the good thing is that when it comes time to upgrade the resell value is MUCH higher which makes it easy to upgrade, especually with all the mods I make it adds value. :)

Originally posted by PerfectCr
The only huge issue right now with XPC's is the fact that ATI AIW Cards have a hard time. The other common misconception is that the PSUs are not powerful enough. People run RAID arrays and everything and they hold up.
AIW issues? As far as I know, the only issues have been with 9600 series cards with the FM tuner. Even then, it should be an easy workaround; I got my 9600 Pro AIW to fit into my SN45G by removing one of the screws that holds the backplate (and then the the screws holding the actual connectors, temporarily) to the PCB, plugging it in, and then all the screws except the one PCB-to-backplate screw at the bottom.
Are there other issues with AIW and SFF pc's I haven't heard of...?

Originally posted by PerfectCr
Specs in sig....

Mods = Blow Hole w/ 80mm Coolermaster Blue LED Fan, CUSTOM Mesh Window, Blue Cold Cathode

SN85G4_MESH_LIGHT2.jpg

SN85G4_MESH_LIGHT.jpg

DAAAAAAMN. You make me want a Shuttle. :)

I am so close, but I just can't. Why? I want a dedicated sound card AND I must have Wi-Fi for the Internet. :( Any options?

Originally posted by Noah
DAAAAAAMN. You make me want a Shuttle. :)

I am so close, but I just can't. Why? I want a dedicated sound card AND I must have Wi-Fi for the Internet. :( Any options?
well these have wifi built in as well as a pci slot for your dedicated sound card, one has a larger bundle...

Shuttle 20th Anniversary Special Edition XPC for Socket 478 at 533/800MHz FSB CPU, Model SB61G2R

Shuttle XPC Barebone System for Socket 478 at 533/800MHz FSB Intel CPU, Model SB65G2

Originally posted by ar1550
AIW issues? As far as I know, the only issues have been with 9600 series cards with the FM tuner. Even then, it should be an easy workaround; I got my 9600 Pro AIW to fit into my SN45G by removing one of the screws that holds the backplate (and then the the screws holding the actual connectors, temporarily) to the PCB, plugging it in, and then all the screws except the one PCB-to-backplate screw at the bottom.
Are there other issues with AIW and SFF pc's I haven't heard of...?

Well yeah SOME (not all) have had issues with certain AIW cards on start up when the card (and all other components) call for power. Sometimes the AIW cards ask for too much power and it overloads and will not boot. I stress this is NOT with all AIW cards.

It almost seems random but some folks have implemented a "delay" switch to briefly delay feeding power to the card until after the other components have received power.

Shuttle has a rep that often contributes to the SFF Boards at Sudhian (Link)
has assured folks that Shuttle is looking into it. Also Shuttle just released a new "SilentX" 250W PSU that seems to solve these issues :)

I have he SB65G2, the wifi works great. However, the standard 220w psu will not allow you to use an allinwonder 9700pro (as I found out)... and is a tad louder then the 250w SilentX. Save yourself $100 (for the mesh case and SilentX) and buy yourself the SB75G2 or SB75S, and just add wifi (<$30) in the form of Shuttle's adapter (although you may want to wait for the G version) or a usb adapter.

-esr

Originally posted by esr2
I have he SB65G2, the wifi works great. However, the standard 220w psu will not allow you to use an allinwonder 9700pro (as I found out)... and is a tad louder then the 250w SilentX. Save yourself $100 (for the mesh case and SilentX) and buy yourself the SB75G2 or SB75S, and just add wifi (<$30) in the form of Shuttle's adapter (although you may want to wait for the G version) or a usb adapter.

-esr

Yeah, good advice. :cool:

So for anyone using a Biostar (particularly a 200V), how are your temps. When I leave the fans on full, I idle around 48 and with them on smart I sit around 55.

I've tried reseating the heatsink a few times with no luck. Just wondering if this is par for the course with these systems.

Back