The Unofficial List of Good mATX Motherboards (Overclocking and Not)

its out, just that newegg took it down off their site maybe because they are out of stock. it is avaiable at zipzoomfly and other online retailers.

Epox is back.

Do you guys think an Xp120 will fit on that thing? Taking the chipset off and putting in the Zalman passive chipset cooler there?

K8N-VM

Overclocking Options:
* = FSB
* = vCORE
* = Mult.
* = vChipset/vHTT
* = vDIMM
* = FSB/PCI/PCI-E Locks
* = DRAM Timings

FSB - bios max 240 (atleast with my sempron 3100+ installed)
vCORE - no vCORE adjustment
Mult - Sempron is locked. Unsure if a new section pops up with a cpu that isn't locked.
vChipset/vHTT - no vChipset/vHTT adjustment
vDIMM - no vDIMM adjustment
FSB/PCI/PCI-E Locks - appears to be auto locked.
DRAM Timings - has a decent timing section in bios

BeernuT said:
K8N-VM

Overclocking Options:
* = FSB
* = vCORE
* = Mult.
* = vChipset/vHTT
* = vDIMM
* = FSB/PCI/PCI-E Locks
* = DRAM Timings

FSB - bios max 240 (atleast with my sempron 3100+ installed)
vCORE - no vCORE adjustment
Mult - Sempron is locked. Unsure if a new section pops up with a cpu that isn't locked.
vChipset/vHTT - no vChipset/vHTT adjustment
vDIMM - no vDIMM adjustment
FSB/PCI/PCI-E Locks - appears to be auto locked.
DRAM Timings - has a decent timing section in bios

Updated, thanks.

MC FLMJIG said:
Epox is back.

Do you guys think an Xp120 will fit on that thing? Taking the chipset off and putting in the Zalman passive chipset cooler there?

An Xp120 should fit fine, i dont see any clearance issues as long as the mounting plate fits.

Update 1/19: Added a 'Top Picks' section based on OCability/availability/positive feedback from you guys.

Just tol let you know. I've seen some reviews that have said the Epox issue has been resolved with bios update.

You have been a great help. Thanks Dillusion

BTW, how bout top 2 or 3 in each sec? ;) LOL

defunct said:
Is there a difference between the Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 and TForce 6100-939?
I have a Tforce6100-939, Tforce6100 and Geforce6100-M7. The latter two are socket 754. I do not have a Geforce6100-M9. Here's my take based on my experience...

The "G" version works fine and normally would be considered a heck of an overclocker compared to most other mATX boards... except the "T" version kicks it's ass in overclocking. My "G" board was stable up to about 260MHz HTT and will POST up to about 280GHz HTT. My "T" board was stable up to about 315MHz HTT and will POST up to about 330MHz HTT. "T" has twice the fan headers (who cares). "T" also has "Smart Fan" to undervolt CPU fan in BIOS, which "G" does not have (I do care about this). "T" gives a lot more in HTT and voltages while "G" maxes out at 300MHz HTT.

I did flash my "G" to a "T" and BIOS totally claimed that it was a "T" but I did not gain any extra capabilities. Enabling "Smart Fan" did nothing. Changing voltages didn't do anything. However, I got about 5MHz HTT higher... maybe, since I was testing at 5MHz increments I was able to increment up one notch, but that difference may be as little as 1MHz - negligible really.

The PCB are almost but not quite the same, plus the "G" is missing a bunch of capacitors and mosfets, plus another coil that the "T" has (still has silkscreening on PCB but no components there). See picture below.

A couple of items that I didn't circle before uploading my picture is the lack of the JDDR_OV>3V jumper - the pads and silkscreening is there but no actual pins/jumper. Also missing is a power LED on the board, lit up when the PSU is hooked up and turned on even if the board isn't running.

Looking at the picture, circled in BLUE are the main power capacitors. These are the typical Radial Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors that you find on almost all motherboards. On the Tforce board, these five capacitors are different and are AFAIK Hybrid Solid-Liquid Electrolyte Capacitors that I guess Biostar is bragging about. Those are similar to ones used on some video cards and high end boards by Abit and DFI. They are supposedly higher performance and long term reliability while taking up less space - at an additional cost.

Circled in ORANGE are silkscreens and solder pads that are on the Geforce board but not the Tforce version. Next to the SATA ports are a second pair of potential SATA ports. A couple of "missing" capacitors are just not present on the Tforce version. Also, next to the Northbridge is a place for some headers of some sort, perhaps for TV-out, DVI or Firewire... who knows...

Circled in GREEN are solder pads of components on the Tforce board that are missing on the Geforce board, with the spot reserved but nothing there. Between the SATA and IDE ports are the "missing" power/reset switches that made the Tforce so handy to bench test. At the two ends of the RAM slots are the extra fan headers, meaning the Geforce has 2 to the Tforce 4. Between the RAM slots and the edge of the PCB is a spot for a large capacitor that is on the Tforce but missing from the Geforce. Perhaps this is for the over-3V vDIMM option of the Tforce? The circled spots around the CPU area are "missing" MOSFETs, around SIX of them MIA. The sixth one is to the left of the blue-circled stuff (I missed it earlier). Also missing is a third coil. I take this to mean that the board has a 2 phase power circuitry instead of 3 phase (someone correct me if wrong).

There may be other differences that I missed, but suffice to say that the boards share similar PCB layout, but not identical.

6100m7.jpg

Now, I don't have a socket 939 "G" version to compare with the socket 939 "T" version, but at this time I'm no longer interested since I'm guessing it will be similar to the socket 754 version as the "T" versions of both sockets are near identical in BIOS features and overclockability.

BTW, socket 754 no longer needs to be "TBA." Just put the Biostar Tforce6100 in that top spot and get it over with. :D Here's some BIOS info for the socket 754 Tforce:

Phoenix - AwardBIOS

Advanced Chipset Features:
Frame Buffer Size (for IGP) 6/32/64/128MB and Disabled
NB-->SB HT Speed 1x-5x
NB<--SB HT Speed 1x-5x
K8<->NB HT Width 8/16
NB<->SB HT Width 4/8/16
Spread Spectrum available for CPU, PCIE, SATA and HT (disabled if any are overclocked)

PC Health Status:
Shutdown Temperature 60/65/70ºC and Disabled
Smart FAN Control by Always ON/SMART
when set to SMART:
CPU Fan Off(ºC) 0-127 (16 default)
CPU Fan Start(ºC) 0-127 (24 default)
CPU Fan Full speed(ºC) 0-127 (64 default)
Start PWM Value 0-127 (40 default)
Slope PWM 0/1/2/4/8/16/32/64 PWM value/ºC (1 default)

CMOS Reload Program - lets you save different CMOS configurations for later retrieval, a great idea

OverClock Navigator Engine:
*Overclock Navigator Normal/Automate Overclock/Manual Overclock
Watch dog time(times) 1-31 (5 default) - I think this is to reset CPU speed if system doesn't POST
Integrated Memory Test DISABLED/ENABLED - run Memtest on next POST

*Overclock Navigator on Automate V6/V8/V12 - doesn't say how much it overclocks

*Overclock Navigator on MANUAL
CPU Voltage Regulator 0.800V-1.500V in 0.025V increments and up to 1.800V in 0.050V increments
Memory Voltage 2.6/2.7/2.8/2.9V - note that there is a memory overvolt >3V jumper on the motherboard - make sure your memory can take it before trying it
CPU Frequency 200-450 in 1MHz increments
HT Frequency 1x-5x and Auto
PCIe Clock 100-145 in 1MHz increments
Memclock Frequency Auto/100/133/166/200 - pretty standard, may change with E3/E6 chip installed
1T/2T Memory Timing

DRAM Configuration submenu - suffice to say that it has the regular latencies plus more options that I don't even know whta to do with, a total of 13 different configurable options. I'd recommend to not fiddle with anything beyond CAS settings unless you know what you're doing.

A couple of things to note:
-The only thing that's really missing is a way to boost chipset voltage. Sometimes that is needed to hit really high HTT speeds.
-Haven't played with it, but the CMOS Reload Program sounds really neat.
-There's no way to turn off the Biostar splash screen on POST, irritating.
-I really love the CPU fan control which along with being able to undervolt can make for a very quiet machine, plus you get to change the parameters of the temperature points and how fast the fan ramps up in speed. Awesome!!!
-Some CMOS settings cause the system to not POST, so unless you're into troubleshooting down to which exact settings causes what problems, leave advanced settings alone. For instance, changing the HT Width settings will sometimes cause no POST.

My CPU in the board is a Sempron 2600+ Palermo D0. Testing in 5MHz increments will POST at 330MHz HTT and Prime stable at 315MHz HTT for 2.52GHz. Nice for a 1.6GHz D0 core, but it took 1.65v to do it. :eek: The board may be fine at higher HTT but not with this CPU. Currently running the same CPU at default speeds at 1.2v for quiet HTPC usage. It will Prime at 1.15v but decided for the little boost just in case. Much better results than my Chaintech VNF3-250 (which I sold) which wouldn't even give the Palermo any vcore with the newest BIOS and tops out at around 270MHz HTT.

I can't find the Abit LG-80 for sale in the US only the LG-81, but I need the LG-80 for firewire. Does any one know wher I can buy the LG-80 in the US or outside the US that will ship international.

Thanks

Zap said:
Circled in GREEN are solder pads of components on the Tforce board that are missing on the Geforce board, with the spot reserved but nothing there.
That portion of the power section is ommitted on the non- "T" boards... The cans are used instead of the hybrids because of the difference in the power section. The hybrids are rated at 2.5V, and IIRC are used for bulk filtering, with the big cans up front for the voltage regulator...

I have the T-Force BTW... all caps are not Japanese/USA sanyo-chemicon on that board. There are smaller OST at 35V, normally I'd complain about that, but the lower uF caps don't tend to have the same problems as the bigger caps.

Overall a very good board... PS there is a new bios available for it.

MD

Fixed the 754 TFORCE options...

cbecknet said:
I can't find the Abit LG-80 for sale in the US only the LG-81, but I need the LG-80 for firewire. Does any one know wher I can buy the LG-80 in the US or outside the US that will ship international.

Thanks

Sorry ive never seen an LG-80 in the US or elsewhere, it might just be an asian product release, and not in the UK or US market.

Intel Pentium M (Dothan / Banias)
Note: On Intel Pentium-M/Celeron-M Dothan CPU, with a choice of 478pins and 479pins P-M CPU socket, MSI designed 478pins P-M CPU socket on this board
What exactly does this mean? All Pentium M cpus I have seen are S479, not actually 478?

Lil Big Mec said:
What exactly does this mean? All Pentium M cpus I have seen are S479, not actually 478?

They're stupid it's a socket 479 board (you can tell by the screw lock) The Banias/Dothan/Sonoma chips actually only have 478 pins but the 479 designation is used to show the difference in the configuration of the pins.

Also $150 is a good price especially when compared to the AOpen boards but not as affordable as an Asus and CT-479...

Dillusion said:
The MSI Dothan board... 915GM Speedster-FA4R!

It looks pretty feature complete... lots of audio outputs and optical SPDIF, dual network, PCI-E 16X, able to use DDR or DDR2, has a P4 retension bracket for potentially "normal" HSFs... all in a sexy black that of course adds 2% performance. ;)

One concern of mine is the layout - the CPU socket is darn close to the wrong edge of the board. I know for a fact that this will make the board NOT fit in these mATX cases that I have (slim desktop) because as is the drive bays barely clear the RAM on my board. Other mATX tower cases have the HDD bays right there and the HDD sticking out may hit the HSF.

Now to find out how overclockable this puppy is. :D Anyone? I'd personally prefer this over an Asus board with adaptor because this has PCI-E.

BTW, I'm still nominating the Biostar Tforce6100 for top socket 754 recommendation - see my notes in a previous post.

Zap said:
It looks pretty feature complete... lots of audio outputs and optical SPDIF, dual network, PCI-E 16X, able to use DDR or DDR2, has a P4 retension bracket for potentially "normal" HSFs... all in a sexy black that of course adds 2% performance. ;)

One concern of mine is the layout - the CPU socket is darn close to the wrong edge of the board. I know for a fact that this will make the board NOT fit in these mATX cases that I have (slim desktop) because as is the drive bays barely clear the RAM on my board. Other mATX tower cases have the HDD bays right there and the HDD sticking out may hit the HSF.

Now to find out how overclockable this puppy is. :D Anyone? I'd personally prefer this over an Asus board with adaptor because this has PCI-E.

It won't have any trouble fitting in a case as long as you use the provided heatsink.

Also as of now it doesn't appear to be that great of an overclocker. The only overclock review I found was a PM 760 going from 2.0Ghz to 2.3Ghz...

WarlordOne said:
It won't have any trouble fitting in a case as long as you use the provided heatsink.

Also as of now it doesn't appear to be that great of an overclocker. The only overclock review I found was a PM 760 going from 2.0Ghz to 2.3Ghz...

Got linkage? I downloaded the manual from MSI's site and theres NO BIOS OC options, is it thru corcell VIA windows?

ALYNCH75 said:
Kill this thread this is getting ridiculous

What the hell are you babbling about? This thread is always on topic and is a good resource for first time mATX buyers, care to explain?

Dillusion said:
Got linkage? I downloaded the manual from MSI's site and theres NO BIOS OC options, is it thru corcell VIA windows?

Nope! I went through a ton of sites and I'm not going to do it again. If I had the link I would have quoted it...

I believe it was left in a customer review section of some site.

<Gigabyte GA-8I945GTMF-Y-RH *>

I have a 8I945GMF, no overclocking features sadly :(

Edited to add: everything else about it is great though

Would you really recommend the DFI RS482? I've heard horror stories about its I/O performance. Extremely subpar compared to an NF4/6100 motherboard.

Ive had nothing but luck with my dfi rs482 no i/o performance issues at all great little board

killzone said:
Ive had nothing but luck with my dfi rs482 no i/o performance issues at all great little board

ANy other comments about the board? I have one coming this week...

Great thread and thanks for maintaining it Dillusion. Is there any chance the tiny * can be replaced by a color letter or a larger symbol for those of us that are a little color blind?

Or there are 11 smiles you could code with.... :eek:

[LYL]Homer said:
Great thread and thanks for maintaining it Dillusion. Is there any chance the tiny * can be replaced by a color letter or a larger symbol for those of us that are a little color blind?

Or there are 11 smiles you could code with.... :eek:

hehe, ill look into it- the astericks do get confusing. ill be sure to let you guys now.

Great thread! Very helpful and just ordered the ABIT... let's see how this puppy does.

That MSI looks nice too. IS it worth going back to 478 for Yonah though?

The LP81 looks more tempting but nowher in site. Rather had optical than VGA.

MC FLMJIG said:
Great thread! Very helpful and just ordered the ABIT... let's see how this puppy does.

That MSI looks nice too. IS it worth going back to 478 for Yonah though?

The LP81 looks more tempting but nowher in site. Rather had optical than VGA.

Which MSI? The LGA775 one on egg? Not worth it, no OC options- albeit a stable board.

Yonah isnt really '478'. If your're referring to '478' as the P4C series and Northwood type things, yonah is NOTHING close to those- its totally new....And reguardless of the socket- the 945GM chipset needed to use it is very new too, its nothing like '478' ;)

If you're referring to the SPEEDSTAR-FA4 on egg, thats for pentium-m's not core duo yonah's...

Here's some info for the Biostar Geforce6100-M7 board. It basically has EVERYTHING that the Biostar Tforce6100 board has... except LESS. For instance, HTT/FSB only goes up to 300MHz (and I couldn't even hit that). Has voltages, but less range. It will overclock, but is definately less capable than the Tforce6100 board in that department since I've gotten much better overclocks with same CPU/RAM on the Tforce6100. Yes, I still have both boards. ;)

Help. I just got IS-10 ver 2 and modified bios to unlock OC options but no luck. THe other options I enabled are now available but no OC options still. Am I missing something?

Anyone had any experiences with IS-10 higher revisions model? THanks.

I should get the ABIT on monday. I get too hooked on these things once they arrive so I'll post what I get on the weekend.

MC FLMJIG said:
I should get the ABIT on monday. I get too hooked on these things once they arrive so I'll post what I get on the weekend.

NICE! been waiting for OC results on that mobo....

:( Abit LG-81

Doesn't look good. I can't even reach 150FSb (P 805D which does 200FSB). It came with really old bios. Flashed it and let's see what happens...

This stock fan really is a piece of junk. They should charge a bit more and put a high quality one in there.

MC FLMJIG said:
:( Abit LG-81

Doesn't look good. I can't even reach 150FSb (P 805D which does 200FSB). It came with really old bios. Flashed it and let's see what happens...

This stock fan really is a piece of junk. They should charge a bit more and put a high quality one in there.

it was quoted to be good due to its OC options and optimizations for OCing. I assume a newer BIOS is always good and should help. Make sure you're doing everything correctly like loosening your ram timings, locking the PCI-E freq, voltages, etc...

Well. The board was defective. Had a hard time getting it on and when I finally did I couldn't OC... might have been that the V on it was way off... kind of like the ABIT NI8 SLI i just tried. I had to pump 1.65 and that meant 1.475... retarded.

Anyway the board wasn't OCing well and then out of nowhere I saw a spark... not good. (I wasn't even doing anything!!! LOL)

Going back... defective from the get go... I'm debating wether I should waste my time.

I have an Qpack and am debating using this with the 805 D. That sucker gets hot under pressure... and can't use my SI 120 in there...

Dilema... just thinking of going back to the Opty 146... Though out of the Biostar doesn't seem like too many Ocers... and 270ish limit I dunno...

I also see the DFI has the issues resolved... seeing 300HTT!!! :p
What is the deal on the Epox's???

Back