The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
I got my new quad core at 3 Ghz running in my computer room. Downloading some Vista updates and awaiting the installation of the SMP client.

Then the circuit breaker tripped. Freaked me out. All the quiet except for the alarms on the UPS's.

I'm gonna leave two systems off for now. I'll see if things work as well as they did before.

This is spurring me to get my server room built.

Have you considered running a new electrical circuit to the room? In many homes, this is very easy to do. It would buy you some time until you got your server room built.

Have you considered running a new electrical circuit to the room? In many homes, this is very easy to do. It would buy you some time until you got your server room built.

Yes, I have thought about that. It would be a long run and so it would be kinda complicated and costly.

My future server room is right next to the electrical panel.

I gotta stop buying new boxen!

Pop a wireless card in it and plug it in somewhere else in the house.

I like the wireless solution....personally I have wireless in the house but also have all the rooms wired with at least 2 e-net ports just in case :)

I like the wireless solution....personally I have wireless in the house but also have all the rooms wired with at least 2 e-net ports just in case :)

So your i-fridge can tell your i-toilet that you had chili for dinner?

I had the SMP client crash on two of my computers :-/ I feel for you (but not too much :p)

Didn't someone here say they were going to try to fold with their fridge?

So your i-fridge can tell your i-toilet that you had chili for dinner?

Thanks a lot. This made me laugh so hard that my co workers asked what I was doing. Not a whole lot of laughter usually comes from the cubicle of a Mechanical Engineer doing work.

Bummer on not being able to get that boost. :( I reckon the race to 2 mil is still on then. :D ;)

Seriously though I'd rather you have everything running and pulling ahead of me versus good boxen sitting unable to be used. Stick that new quad in another room on another circuit and run a patch cable to it.

My new quad has turned in an SMP WU. I have had it folding for about 20 hours so far. I guess that means it has passed the "burn in" tests or what ever it is called. XIlikon told me that if I can turn in an SMP WU without problems then my OC must be stable.

All of my SMP boxen are running. I just turned off 3 old boxen that don't do much anyways. I'll get them folding again but not any time soon.

Ah - well in that case you should blow by me in a few days.... maybe time for a divorce. :( I don't have the resources to add another machine capable of keeping up with a quad right now.

To be stable, don't just base on just 1 wu, it's usually a week work of smp folding to certify stability ;)

Anyway, congratulations and hope it's not too painful being a bit away from your siamese twin.

Didn't someone here say they were going to try to fold with their fridge?

I have folded with my VCR....search for pherret's mod (front page on [H]ardOCP).
We won't go into the fridge mod, because everyone said it won't work because the heat will kill the compressor. (4 way-OC'ed AMD XPs ran at 100% load for 2 years in that fridge)

But what do I know...I'm just a relic.

I got my new quad core at 3 Ghz running in my computer room. Downloading some Vista updates and awaiting the installation of the SMP client.

Then the circuit breaker tripped. Freaked me out. All the quiet except for the alarms on the UPS's.

I'm gonna leave two systems off for now. I'll see if things work as well as they did before.

This is spurring me to get my server room built.

That's why I'm going to plan ahead very carefully for the electrical once I build my house.

I have 40A running to my folding room....don't you all have a folding room?

Nope.

I want to have a server room and then I'll of course have my office/computer room where I do both my work and play games.

that is what I want! A folding / server room.

How much electrical should I plan for?

I want a second circuit for air conditioning just for the server room.

that is what I want! A folding / server room.

How much electrical should I plan for?

I want a second circuit for air conditioning just for the server room.

You will need

JIGGAWATTAGES

Four 30 amp 220 volt branches (with separate a/c feeds) should work okay for a little while, just make sure to set the PSU in every system to 220 if they're not full-range. Also make sure to plan for expandability.

So a with a safety limit of 25 amps, each branch should handle about 15 basic quad core boxes, 1 small LCD monitor, and a large enough switch to handle the networking. That would give a total of 60 boxes, 4 monitors, and 4 large switches. in your server room. :D

It's called my living room. No, I'm not joking. I have two desks and six computers in my tiny little living room. Every one of them is folding one way or another. Well, except for the P3 which is getting temporarily retired and a T-Bird 1.2 I didn't have the RAM to get up and running. Now, I probably have a couple gig of PC100 RAM that a friend of mine gave me so that shouldn't be a problem. Now, I just need a couple of cases for free and another wireless NIC so I can get the machines running and put in my bedroom since I'm out of room in the living room.

Not to mention I'm not sure how much more the circuit can take. Good thing I don't watch TV so I don't have to worry about that being a drain on the power. :)

I'm thinking of making my huge walk in closet a server room for by boxes. I have 3 that are 100% folding, the other is 99% folding, occasional person use.

That would isolate about 80% of the noise, which would be a nice benefit for me. I'm also looking at a monoprice DVI switcher, but would prefer to be able to just remote in, once I figure out how to do that.

Fun Fun :) Good luck on your server room build!

I'm thinking of making my huge walk in closet a server room for by boxes. I have 3 that are 100% folding, the other is 99% folding, occasional person use.

That would isolate about 80% of the noise, which would be a nice benefit for me. I'm also looking at a monoprice DVI switcher, but would prefer to be able to just remote in, once I figure out how to do that.

Make sure you have an AC vent in there. Or else:
Baked boxen :eek:

You would be approaching need for a cooling solution made for server rooms in that case. My first day at work here we got a product demo of this stuff. Cool product.

You would be approaching need for a cooling solution made for server rooms in that case. My first day at work here we got a product demo of this stuff. Cool product.

I was thinking of something cheaper.... Like a window-shaker style air conditioning unit, preferably 220 volts.

Like this:

lg-air-conditioner.jpg

Would it not be cheaper to just get a couple of box fans one blowing into the room one blowing out? I mean this walk'n closest is probably far enough away to isolate most noise...

Nope.

I want to have a server room and then I'll of course have my office/computer room where I do both my work and play games.

No no...I meant "folding room". The server room is in the basement with the patch panels, servers, switch equipment, primary and secondary internet demarc's and the firewalls. The folding room is upstairs it has a pair of Q6600s and a P4 3.8 folding plus the office PCs (too wimpy to fold), printers, phone system, etc.

You might call that a "home office" but we all know it's a "folding room". ;)
This is not to be confused with the servers that are folding in the server room.

Who in their right mind ...would have a room ... filled with computers ... doing nothing but running F@H ......

That is just plan crazy ......

Wait ...a...min .... ummmm.... nevermind ....

PS - Accepting Donation to the "EvilAlchemist trying to beat Flecom Foundation"

The black box are the new server I installed 2 days ago and the white one on the wall was a old p3-1000

Back