The Shelves of Eternity

deadlift1

[H]ard|Gawd
No, this is not my name for this project. It was was my wife's name for the scratch build case/monitor stand/shelves that I embarked on this summer. It was finally finished last week thus the name.

What began as a project I though would take a weekend or two turned into a 6 month roller coaster of elation, frustration, concentration and a whole bunch of other "tions". In the end it was a huge learning experience and I am pleased with the way everything turned out. This is actually serving as a prototype as I plan to build another version of this case using a higher quality wood or maybe even aluminum. We shall see.

I don't have the patience that many of you do to take detailed pictures of everything. The pics below will give an overview of the build process, the parts involved and the finished project.

The goal of this build was threefold:
1. Create a better solution for utilizing my PLP setup.
2. Incorporate the computer and dual loops into the unit along with a 16 port gigabit switch and a (future) home security DVR.
3. Add a small HDTV to the setup so I can watch things like the Thurs-Fri round of the Masters while I'm working or late at night when I am drooling over other awesome builds on [H]

Most of it turned out as planned. The shelves for the switch and DVR are still a work in progress and should not be viewed as being completed. I simply had to get my rig up and running by Jan. 7 for work so some of the wiring was just done haphazardly. This will be cleaned up in a future update.

As always, comments, criticisms and [H]igh fives are always welcome. :D And sorry in advance for any blurry pics.

Here is the basic layout of the case/stand from the front. I used pine through (poor choice but it's cheap and based on the amount of re-cuts I had to do it saved me a ton of cash)
12la0.jpg

A view from the right side. This side houses the area for the switch and DVR
xY7N7.jpg

Another from the left. This house the PC, resevoirs, pumps on a removeable mobo tray.
8CVZY.jpg

Here's the back. Swiftech Helix fans lying about and on the rads in the background. Great fans, good static pressure and very low noise. I have 9 of them in the case with no issues.
Cn1Nt.jpg

Radiator mounting section. I was trying to show how all the holes line up exactly from front to back with this shot but it didn't turn out quite like I wanted. It took a bit of trial and error to get these cut properly.
GmhL9.jpg

Here's the mobo tray with the extension added to the front which will hold the resevoirs and two D5 pumps. The holes are for the drain ports on the res's. Mobo tray is stock from Mountain Mods. Can't beat it for $50.
IVReO.jpg

Top down view of mobo tray with drain ports installed. Picked up a few of these (along with 60ft. of tubing :eek:) during the Danger Den firesale.
OGjWb.jpg

Res and pumps mounted. CPU loop is Res-D5-Raystorm-Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 360. GPU loop is Res-D5-Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 360.
uItAP.jpg

Alphacool Nexxxos UT 60 360s. These things are absolute beasts. I went from Swiftech MCR 320s to these. They are twice as thick, twice as heavy and twice as good (well, maybe not twice as good but you get my drift). Koolance quick disconnects make it simple to disconnect the rads from the loop, pull out the mobo tray, perform maintenance/upgrades and reinstall.
PlwKO.jpg

Rads mounted.
4o41r.jpg

PSU mounted. The HX1000 is old school but still a beast. My next one will be completely modular though.
LjynC.jpg

The parts. Not a fan of unboxing pics so I will spare you :D
lBFUm.jpg

Mobo and cpu block mounted. The whole apparatus slides in and out on a cabinet drawer slide. This board is a thing of beauty IMO. Sleek design and the gold accents are cool. I briefly toyed with the idea of making this a Guinness themed mod but that will be another time.
FiFQJ.jpg

Plumbed up, leak tested, ready to go. Just running straight distilled with a few drops of PT Nuke in each loop. Dyes look awesome but what a mess to clean.
2HH1y.jpg

DB1Wu.jpg

ldZOG.jpg

Drive bay, fan controllers, card reader installed. Just need the top.
1Ktsg.jpg

And here it is. Note the nice hole saw "jump" scar on the back. I now have two permanent scars on my body from that saw. Extreme caution is now used everytime I break it out.
1UZDC.jpg

In the office ready to be hooked up.
1Ktsg.jpg

The finished product
iulot.jpg

The HDTV doubles as a 4th monitor when needed. Damn meant to have [H] up on the 30" when I took the pics. This probably demotes me back to noobie.
1se5u.jpg

xDkK3.jpg

WdGrI.jpg

A wider view of the upper "office" section of the Mancave. More Mancave pics in the Mancave thread. Still waiting on one final extension piece from Ikea for the left corner of the desk.
2sIhp.jpg

Well, that's it for now. 6 months of worked wrapped up in 20 some odd pics. It was a blast and I will definitely be doing more scratch builds in the future. Need to work on my router skills and acquiring a band saw.....

Last edited:
Michael Chiklis is in your mirror. Nice setup.

Lol! Not sure whether that is a compliment or not! As long as it Chiklis from The Shield and not The Commish I'm happy. Hell even Chiklis as The Thing is good with me.

very original... turned out nice, and looks functional. it looks like it belongs in the batcave. :)

Very cool setup. Looks awesome with all the gear in/on it. Bravo to you sir!

I was actually thinking of adding a small monitor to my pc, just to monitor stuff while I'm gaming/rendering/ect.
What size is that Vizio you have? that would be about the perfect size for me also. Not sure where I'd put it, but I'm sure I can find somewhere.

Very cool setup. Looks awesome with all the gear in/on it. Bravo to you sir!

I was actually thinking of adding a small monitor to my pc, just to monitor stuff while I'm gaming/rendering/ect.
What size is that Vizio you have? that would be about the perfect size for me also. Not sure where I'd put it, but I'm sure I can find somewhere.

It's a 16" Vizio LED. They don't make them anymore and I got this one refurbished off of eBay. 16" was the optimal size for the screen when I was designing everthing but they are almost impossible to come by now. I believe Coby makes one of similar size also.

Scored my second best deal ever on Craigslist today. A two month old 7970 for $180 :eek:. Unbelievable. Time to find another block and set these up in crossfire.

very nice setup man.... sweet score on the 7970! nice to see someone else using a griffin powermate also. :)

I love the powermate. So many uses. I originally got it to control volume for my speakers but I use it a lot for photoshop too. Great little device.

Thanks Stevennoland. I hope to have my IP surveillance cameras and the switch wiring cleaned up soon.

By sound do you mean the fans? If so then not bad at all. I'm not really sensitive to fan noise all that much so I may not be the best resource on this. The swiftech helix fans even at full speed are not bad at all. I've got 13 of them in this build and they don't bother me at all.

looks like a great build, I would've loved something like this for myself if I didn't have a 65 inch DLP tv sitting in back of my monitor.

Do you have any blueprints for that? I have thought about making something similar to that someday, and possibly do away with my traditional cases.

How easy is it to get to the internals should you need to? Do you have to take everything off (the monitors and such) to take the top off? Or are they on pull-out modular frames?

looks like a great build, I would've loved something like this for myself if I didn't have a 65 inch DLP tv sitting in back of my monitor.

I've got a 92" screen for my projector to my left but its a little cumbersome to watch while I'm working ;)

Do you have any blueprints for that? I have thought about making something similar to that someday, and possibly do away with my traditional cases.

How easy is it to get to the internals should you need to? Do you have to take everything off (the monitors and such) to take the top off? Or are they on pull-out modular frames?

I just looked through my sketchup models of the build and I don't have anything that represents the final product or the dimensions. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do but like most custom projects I hit some snags along the way and made some adjustments on the fly.

As for the components the mobo tray is on slide out rails and I have QDCs on the radiators so they entire pum/res/mobo assembly slides out easily for maintenance. The rest of the stuff like the hard drives, rads and cabling can only be accessed by taking off the monitors and the top. If I had more time I would have liked to have made the entire front section slide out on rails for easy maintenance. Maybe next time.....

I finally ordered some patch panels, keystone jacks and cabling to clean up the switch and wiring on the right side. I'll post that in an update when its complete.

I just looked through my sketchup models of the build and I don't have anything that represents the final product or the dimensions. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do but like most custom projects I hit some snags along the way and made some adjustments on the fly.

As for the components the mobo tray is on slide out rails and I have QDCs on the radiators so they entire pum/res/mobo assembly slides out easily for maintenance. The rest of the stuff like the hard drives, rads and cabling can only be accessed by taking off the monitors and the top. If I had more time I would have liked to have made the entire front section slide out on rails for easy maintenance. Maybe next time.....

I finally ordered some patch panels, keystone jacks and cabling to clean up the switch and wiring on the right side. I'll post that in an update when its complete.

Sounds nice. I look forward to that update. What material did you use? MDF? Plywood? Also, what did you use for your screws? They almost look like hex-head/allen wrench carriage bolts.

Sounds nice. I look forward to that update. What material did you use? MDF? Plywood? Also, what did you use for your screws? They almost look like hex-head/allen wrench carriage bolts.

He stated in the OP that he used Pine..

It's all pine. It was my first time building a custom enclosure so due to the learning curve I wanted to use a less expensive wood. Spray paint can do wonders these days;). Mdf would have been a better choice IMHO

The screws are torx head woodworking screws I found at lowes. I added some beveled washers for the raised look.

Back