The *Official* Post Pics Of Your Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you're talking about Europeans, i resent your unfounded stereotype.

Indeed I was, but It was a horrible generalization. Even though his race in no way relates to the french, I included him into my hatred for those people. Sorry if I offended any of your guys from the UK, and anywhere other than france..... Oh, and secure.boy.... mind explaining what that equipment is for?

Just to take us wildly off topic, can i ask why you hate the French?

dude, Im american...... im a conservative yet a bit moderate on certain issues.. I agreed with the war completely(hence the reason I work for the DoD). Enough said :p I really don't want people to hate me more.... so I wont continue

xphil3 Love the virtualisation stuff !

Any way more from the UK since its been so long since i posted, these are my work machines. I pretty much built and racked all of these my self. Lots of Sun kit ‘cause we do like our Sun stuff where I work, a few dell bits thrown in for good measure.

Our two internal racks for inside the office:
work1.jpg

My babies, 5x Sun T2000 4 of which are on external arrays. All running Solaris 10 which is zoned up for our developers to use as virtual machines. X works quite well remotely.
work2.jpg

Our Sun V240 which is a sandbox for our creatives (or artists with glue glitter and crayons as i prefer to call them).
work3.jpg

Our oldest database server (i have managed to get rid of the Ultra 60) i expect to be replacing this with a T2000 soon (if i can get the budget).
work4.jpg

Our dell fun, Windows, Redhat, Solaris, a LTO3 and disk array in there.
work5.jpg

Interal Unreal server <3
work6.jpg

Few Netras (internal services, DHCP, DNS etc) Generic whitebox openbsd server, Old tape drive and a compaq Windows server for some other stuff.
work7.jpg

Nice stuff cyber!

Those T2000's fiber SAN'd or SATA array'd? I really do with I could post up some pics of our production and sandbox labs :p ehh...... I guess ill explain it

3x Sunfire X4600 LOADED(8 dual core opterons, 128GB of ram)
2x Sunfire X4100( 2 dual core opterons,16GB ram)
1x StorageTek 6140
2x StorageTek JBOD shelves
4x some kind of UPS(cant think of name off hand)
2x Cisco 4948 running enterprise services IOS, 10gE HSRP
24x SunRay 2 thin clients
60" plasma for presentations

We can run efficiently around 175(max is a bit over 300, 325 or so) or so VM's, we only run around 50-75 in our "production" phase which changes weekly.

All carved and zoned through dual McData spherion fabric switches. All ESX hosts and SunRay servers have dual QLOGIC 4Gbps HBAs. All ESX hosts are multi-pathed for both network and storage.

sandbox is lame, 10 OLD dell 2650's, all dual core xeon 2.8's, 4Gigs of ram, 200Gigs in R5 and one box dedicated as a NFS mount point running FreeNAS(for vmotion). A cisco 2821 for network interoperability, and a 3550 running SMI <---wheeeeeeak

Guess I will post some of our ESX Equipment

So Sun sold you on their blades, huh? We looked at them, but their presentation was thin, and they had a strike against them going in with two different chassis models. Plus they were still not price competitive with HP, especially after support costs.

We're thinking HP so far for our next-gen ESX clusters. The decision hasn't been made, but IBM came in with some interesting materials... again, cost has probably killed them. We buy a lot of AMD x86 stuff right now for RedHat, but quad-socket quade-core blade modules from HP look juicy... *drool*

/Yes I know Sun has them "in the pipeline" too. :)

I really like the dell racks, we only bought them due to buying dell servers but they work quite well. Solid, take all the standard fittings for mounting other gear nice mesh doors etc etc wheels and feet.

As for sata or SAN etc, 4 of the earlier servers have 2x SAS RAID1 internally with a SCSI HBA hooked to an array. Being as we are no where close to using the space the newest one is just 4x SAS (2x Raid1 as we've had some bad exp with RAID5). We'll go to a dedicated storage solution eventually but its all depending on the bean counters signing off the money.

The Netra's pretty much rule at doing all the sort of "reliable but low demand" (by that i mean not doing any thing like huge Apache loads etc) stuff, their all Ultrasparc IIi with 1gb ram Software Raid 1 (which Sun have gotten so right even if it is a bit of a pain to manage).

The Netra's pretty much rule at doing all the sort of "reliable but low demand" (by that i mean not doing any thing like huge Apache loads etc) stuff, their all Ultrasparc IIi with 1gb ram Software Raid 1 (which Sun have gotten so right even if it is a bit of a pain to manage).

iv had it with windows server 2003 dns. i need a solid dns solution that wont fuck up! will solaris fit the bill?

iv had it with windows server 2003 dns. i need a solid dns solution that wont fuck up! will solaris fit the bill?

Bind, no mater what *nix variant is running on is pretty much the defacto standard (bind even runs on Windows). Brush up on it and you won't have to worry much about what OS it's running on. Solaris, Linux, {Free,Open,Net}BSD, it really won't matter.

cheers, what specs would i need to run a dedicated bind server?

20 clients max

I love Optimum Online :) though I have thought of changing my Optimum 15/2 to the Boost which is 30/5 for only 10 bucks more.

cheers, i have decided to stick with windows 2003 for the moment.

Where are you located? I have several 3U shelves I am looking to get rid of as they are just collecting dust. PM me if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back