the new MSI 4850 with what looks like better cooling...

Any 3870 gpu cooler will work on the 4850, so there are a lot of options you can go with. DuoOrb, Accelero S1, Zalman, etc. I went with the accelero and temps are down to 35c idle and 45c load.

Any 3870 gpu cooler will work on the 4850, so there are a lot of options you can go with. DuoOrb, Accelero S1, Zalman, etc. I went with the accelero and temps are down to 35c idle and 45c load.

yeah but using ramsinks is teh gay.... i want something with plates i can screw down.. and also a heatsink that i can use my crossfire bridges with.

Lol, gay? Ram sinks are too [H] for you. And the 4850 stock coolers are actually adequate. You could always adjust the fan percentage in your profile or edit the bios for a permanent fix.

Lol, gay? Ram sinks are too [H] for you. And the 4850 stock coolers are actually adequate. You could always adjust the fan percentage in your profile or edit the bios for a permanent fix.

i have tryed adjusting my fan profile too.. and while it does a good job at idle it still climbs almost as high as it does under load with the regular profile.. i tried it with 50 and 55% and i found that anything under 60 isnt keeping the load temps much different than the regular profile. so thats no good for me.

so im on the lookout for something a bit cooler

And it's loud. Very loud. Apparently nobody who buys a 4850 cares about quiet computing though.

Its all about $1.30 cooling solution and selling the card for $159 or a $15 cooling solution and selling it for $175.

That is the only reason that the stock coolers suck BIG TIME.
Noise, why it lets you know its running and the louder the more impressed people are with it.

I payed 150 bucks for the lil sucker so no I dont care about quiet computing (I dont at all actually). If I decided to have it quiet I could always buy a 30 dollar cooler. Better to have the option than to have the higher price tag forced.

Get yourself a $139 open box buy at newegg, strap on an accelero s1 for $25 at directron, and save a buck or two like I did, lol.

And it's loud. Very loud. Apparently nobody who buys a 4850 cares about quiet computing though.

How loud is the 4850 fan? I keep hearing this stuff about how its jet engine loud all over the forums and no one yet given any concrete decibel approximations. Is the fan like 2 x 80mm at 45 decibels loud or is it a 220 cfm Delta fan at 65 dB?

like a small muffled hair dryer at 100%. I cant notice it over my Delta Triblade 90mm. Its no vantec tornado.

I have 4 antec 3speed 120mm fans running on high. I cant hear the stock 4850 fan until its over 50%

I have 4 antec 3speed 120mm fans running on high. I cant hear the stock 4850 fan until its over 50%

And these things are pretty annoying on loud.

That said, a dB rating is sound intensity, it says nothing of how annoying the 4850 fan is at high settings. It's a squealing, high pitched sound, not the sound of air moving but rather of mechanical parts moving way too fast against each other. Sound intensity is also of little use unless you know the exact environment and way in which it was measured. How far away you are, where the case is located, the sound insulation of the case, etc.

Stock Fan is very loud. After Market is the way to go. Plus you get the ability to flash your card and O/C it. I run mine at 720/1100 100% stable. ;)

I just ordered this thing, along with the rest of the components of my new build. I'll let you know what the temps are like when I get the system up and running

Heh, MSI has used almost that exact cooler on quite a few cards now. Not that that's anything to complain about, just funny. Too bad it's not a full exhaust cooler though... just sorta half-assed :(

like a small muffled hair dryer at 100%. I cant notice it over my Delta Triblade 90mm. Its no vantec tornado.

Then that's actually relatively quiet.

I have (currently) the WD Caviar SE 80 GB PATA drive (Leopard boot drive), ATI-branded (but built by Visiontek) Radeon X1650 PRO AGP graphics card, Antec SP-400 PSU, all in a mid-tower case that sits *on my desk with the side off* (I peeled the side off because the fan on that side needs replacing; on the desk is the standard place for my system, for safety reasons).

Given I have all that on my desk, and I don't mind it, what I'm moving to will actually *lower* the amount of noise, even though I'm sticking with standard cooling, and even keeping the same case! (Though the Silencer is quieter by far than my SP-400, that's not why I'm buying it, and the X1650PRO's fan is quite noisy on startup, yet the Caviar SE has them all beat.) Unless the HD4850 harkens back to the "DustBuster whine" of the GeForce FX series (and nobody has implied that), it doesn't sound like it's that much of an issue once the fan-fix is applied.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127370

just saw this on newegg.. and to be honest i do feel a bit jealous seeing as i just bought my cards the other week and HATE the cooling on them.

does anyone know if this is some custom MSI type cooling or by someone else so we might have a chance to buy it soon ?

That's just a Zalman VF1000 slapped on to it. just like the Sapphire Toxic 4850 uses some revision of the Zalman VF900. Apparently Zalman are taking the 4850's by storm!

I have a very quiet system, plus a 4850, so I can give you a VERY reliable estimate of the sound levels.:

Antec Sonata III, 2 120mm Scythe S-FLEX fans @ 1000 RPM (push-pull), WD Greenpower 750GB, Intel dual core 45nm with stock heat sink.

Using Q-fan on the two 120mm fans and the CPU heat sink, you can't hear the fans at idle. When I add the 4850, you can hear a low hum at idle, but it is barely audible.

The key here is a good intake fan to supply the 4850 with cool air. When I ran without the intake 120mm fan (just one 120mm fan blowing out the rear), the 4850's idle temp was 5C higher, and the fan was much louder. By adding a (virtually silent) 1000RPM 120mm fan to the front intake, the 4850 is almost unheard at idle.

As for load - it DOES sound like a small muffled hair dryer. But since I usually use headphones, or crank-up the volume in games, this doesn't bother me. I'm only hard-ass about idle noise :)

That's just a Zalman VF1000 slapped on to it. just like the Sapphire Toxic 4850 uses some revision of the Zalman VF900. Apparently Zalman are taking the 4850's by storm!

it cant be a VF1000 because they're bigger and block the crossfire connectors... if you compare the 2 the MSI one is smaller.

god i cant wait for a proper replacement to come out.. and hopefully one that wont need the little ramsinks either:eek:

You're right it's smaller than i thought, but very similar in design.
Oh well, still SHOULD be better than stock.

I have a very quiet system, plus a 4850, so I can give you a VERY reliable estimate of the sound levels.:

Antec Sonata III, 2 120mm Scythe S-FLEX fans @ 1000 RPM (push-pull), WD Greenpower 750GB, Intel dual core 45nm with stock heat sink.

How are you able to fit the intake fan in a Sonata III with a 4850? It seems like there'd be no room for the PCIe power connector.

Yes I agree, but what I do not like about these cards is the card radiates heat up into the case and right on to my North bridge. The PBC itself generates a ton of heat as well.

How are you able to fit the intake fan in a Sonata III with a 4850? It seems like there'd be no room for the PCIe power connector.

I have an 8800GT with an intake fan in a Sonata III. I don't like it, would not buy case again. The PCIe power connector touches the center plastic part of the fan with some pressure, but it works. Who knows, maybe I get better airflow over it like this!

You're right it's smaller than i thought, but very similar in design.
Oh well, still SHOULD be better than stock.

you're right but the fact its bigger isnt gonna help my case because id need 2 for crossfire and it gets in the way... and they dont make longer flexible cables for crossfire like they do for sli, so gay :D

if anyone finds a cooler that will work in crossfire let me know

Heads up, the Duorb is kind of loud :/ I put one on my 3870.

Its not terrible, but I did put it on a fan controller on the lowest setting and its still louder than I'd like.

I would estimate the stock fan is around 39dba-43dba under normal conditions... Depending on your case and the distance from your ear.

It works, and you have a little over an inch of clearance between fan and card, which is enough for the PCIe connector.

Granted, you have to be careful which cards you purchase, but the case like the 4850 just fine.

It works, and you have a little over an inch of clearance between fan and card, which is enough for the PCIe connector.

Granted, you have to be careful which cards you purchase, but the case like the 4850 just fine.

Yeah I guess I can see that. I don't think I'd be comfortable putting that much angle/pressure on the connector, or worrying about the cable getting caught up in the fan.

Has anyone actually had this card? It's $163 at newegg AR, not a bad deal if you're in the market for a 4850. I'm curious to see what an actual owner has to say about temperatures though.

I've had the system built for a couple days and this card has been loaded using the GPU2 for a while and the temp is sitting at 54*C. It is not very tall at all and cannot be overheard over my 3 case fans (Antec 12cm, Scythe 10cm, and an AeroCool 14cm) when at the lowest settings using a Silverstone Fan controller. The case is a Thermaltake BachVXw. Now what really pisses me off about this card is I bought it ONE DAY before they offered the rebate, so I'm stuck paying full price.

Definitely Recommended

Has anyone actually had this card? It's $163 at newegg AR, not a bad deal if you're in the market for a 4850. I'm curious to see what an actual owner has to say about temperatures though.

I got one with the original heatsink. Performed fine, but came with bad video ram. Beyond the atifacts caused by that, the card still ran perfectly and never locked up or caused any problems.

It is now out for RMA to get it fixed, and I am hoping I get one with the new heatsink design.

Heh, MSI has used almost that exact cooler on quite a few cards now. Not that that's anything to complain about, just funny. Too bad it's not a full exhaust cooler though... just sorta half-assed :(

yeah they strapped this cooler on some 8800GT cards instead of the single slot coolers.

The rebate convinced me to get this card. My load temp is 60 deg C. The funny thing is, the fan seems to be pegged at ~1100 RPM both at idle and load. My system is pretty quiet, so at idle, it's the loudest thing in my system, but it's just an unobtrusive "whoosh" sort of sound. I haven't bothered to install any of the MSI software, so there might be something for controlling the fan speed, I dunno.

The way the heatsink is constructed, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a shroud, remove a slot cover, and vent to outside the case.

Back