The new "died in the line of duty" thread

If I remember there was a guy that used his car to charge a deepcycle that he then used to run a folding boxen. I also think the folding boxen spent a fair bit of time in the car.

This was years ago however.

My work comp psu is hanging by a thread...Corsair VX550. Seems like when I load it now (start f@h), it shuts off. :( Time to RMA.

I'm very surprised, because it doesn't get pushed much now....it's only running an e8400@stock, 1 HD, 1 optical, no gpu...nothing else. :confused: I guess it's died a slow painful death somehow (despite being behind a UPS).
At worst (a few years ago) it was running an e7200, my 8800gt, probably 2 HDs and 1 optical.

I ordered an Antec Neo Eco 620C through the Hot Deals forum/NewEgg daily deals link for $56+change shipped to fill in while waiting for the RMA to go and come back...

Last edited:
My work comp psu is hanging by a thread...Corsair VX550. Seems like when I load it now (start f@h), it shuts off. :( Time to RMA.

I'm very surprised, because it doesn't get pushed much now....it's only running an e8400@stock, 1 HD, 1 optical, no gpu...nothing else. :confused: I guess it's died a slow painful death somehow (despite being behind a UPS).
At worst (a few years ago) it was running an e7200, my 8800gt, probably 2 HDs and 1 optical.

I ordered an Antec Neo Eco 620C through the Hot Deals forum/NewEgg daily deals link for $56+change shipped to fill in while waiting for the RMA to go and come back...

Out of curiosity, how old is that PSU? On my next build, i'm tempted to pay an extra $20-30 and go with a Corsair Professional Series since I figure they would be designed to handle 24/7 folding use better.

Ah, finally found my invoice and where I bought it. Got it at ZZF 10/24/07.
I've had it awhile, I mean it's certainly lasted awhile and been through a lot. Can't beat the warranty (5yr).
I can't recommend Corsair psus highly enough.
fing34.gif

They are rock solid, I just think this one took a ton of a beating since bringing it here to my job about 9 months ago...even being behind this UPS, we have a lot of brownouts or...something...here. Lots of power issues in this building.
I'm just picking up the Antec because it's cheap but dependable as a backup. The Etasis in my boxen was a $49 Shell shocker. Otherwise I am all Corsair psus. (used to have an HX520 also which I now wish I hadn't sold lol) :D

You don't even need to go with the AX model (if that's what you're getting at).
Going by what Redbeard has said on the psu forums, I would stick with either TX, HX or AX models though...obviously the CX400 is too weak for anything but a cpu only boxen, and the GS models are below the TX line, I would pay more for the TX line especially when you're considering doing f@h boxen. ;) (VX for all intents and purposes = TX, but VX are going to be too low on wattage to seriously consider nowadays.)
I think my issues with my VX is just an anomaly with the power issues at this building and a shitty UPS. :mad:
I've had 0 issues with this psu until now behind standard APC brand surge protectors at home.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how old is that PSU? On my next build, i'm tempted to pay an extra $20-30 and go with a Corsair Professional Series since I figure they would be designed to handle 24/7 folding use better.

Lots of good reviews for corsairs and lots of folders swear by them - i think mine is great

Lots of good reviews for corsairs and lots of folders swear by them - i think mine is great

Yeah, I only buy Corsair PSU's as well as my only non Corsair has been an Antec. What I like about them is their efficiency and their reputation for quality. You guys always know of the joke where when you talk about PSU's, whether it is in terms of Corsair watts or OCZ watts.

Corsair also has a line of professional series PSU's that have a 7 year warranty instead of 5 years, so I figure those would be even better for 24/7 folding duty. They come at a $20-40 price premium over the regular version of the same watts. Micro Center is selling the Corsair 650watt regular PSU with 5 year warranty for $119, while the Professional Series 650 watt is $140.

Keep an eye out on deals, I got my HX850 for like $151 after savings+coupon from Dell a year ago. :D

Ughhh..........

I guess now it is my turn to add to the died in the line of duty thread...........

Folding1 must have gotten jealous at folding2 going online last night. I would be too considering that folding2 is getting 45-46k ppd on 2685'[email protected].

While I was sleeping last night, I noticed there was a rattling noise coming from across the hall in the storage room where the two folding rigs are located. Didn't think much of it, but I noticed just now that folding 1 was running hotter than normal. It normally runs in the mid 60's and was running around 70 degrees. Took a closer look and noticed that the SilenX fan on the side panel was dead. Took a closer look, and noticed that stock HAF922 fan on the front was barely turning which means it is in the process of croaking.

Damn, and I just spent my entertainment budget on a Gulftown...........

There's a reason why I have a whole stack of cheap Arctic-Cooling fans lying around :)

That's what you get for buying SilenX. Here's a little trick (for both fans). Take them out. Peel off the label on the side of the fan with the supports. Pull out the little rubber stopper that gives you access to the bearing. Get some fine machine oil or some synthetic motor oil and put two or three drops into the bearing. Spin the fan around a few times. Wipe off any excess oil, put the rubber stopper back in, reapply the label (if it won't stick, use a piece of tape or something). The fans will probably work after this.

At it was just a couple of fans. I was cringing waiting for a blown MB/PSU/memory/something worse than a fan or two.

[hugs his trusty $3 Yate Loons from Jab-tech] :D
Still the best sub $10 fans I've found to this day.

That's what you get for buying SilenX. Here's a little trick (for both fans). Take them out. Peel off the label on the side of the fan with the supports. Pull out the little rubber stopper that gives you access to the bearing. Get some fine machine oil or some synthetic motor oil and put two or three drops into the bearing. Spin the fan around a few times. Wipe off any excess oil, put the rubber stopper back in, reapply the label (if it won't stick, use a piece of tape or something). The fans will probably work after this.

When you want a fan that delivers major CFM flows without sounding like a dust buster, what would you recommend? I also added a Silenx fan to my Gulftown rig's side panel and now this worries me. I always thought it was supposed to be a reputable and durable fan.

When you want a fan that delivers major CFM flows without sounding like a dust buster, what would you recommend? I also added a Silenx fan to my Gulftown rig's side panel and now this worries me. I always thought it was supposed to be a reputable and durable fan.

The Scythe S-Flex have a good reputation. They make various speeds. I have a few of the D and F models and like them a lot. Not cheap, though. For maximum cooling the Scythe 140mm are also nice but loud unless on a fanbus.

If you want to go cheap - Yate Loon D12SM-12 (med) or SH-12 (high). Get them from Jab-tech, he has the lowest prices. Great site, great owner/guy to deal with.

If you want to spend more on a good fan - S-Flex. +1 SazanEyes.
Or even a Scythe GT (Gentle Typhoon).

SilenX fans are garbage. They push hardly any air, don't have particularly great noise characteristics, and are not reliable. If you want good fans, stick with Scythe. The Gentle Typhoons are the best they have, but the Slipstream fans also produce excellent airflow for the amount of noise they make.

SilenX fans are garbage. They push hardly any air, don't have particularly great noise characteristics, and are not reliable. If you want good fans, stick with Scythe. The Gentle Typhoons are the best they have, but the Slipstream fans also produce excellent airflow for the amount of noise they make.

I wish I would have asked you guys about fans before I had my Gulftown rig built. Micro Center has a very nice selection of Scythe fans too, although the higher CFM flow ones are too thick to put on my side panel and still clear the Cogage cooler.

As for now, i'm closely monitoring the temps on folding1 to see how it is doing. It looks like temps are hovering around 71 degrees right now, so not too bad. If the temps stay around there, i'm just going to run it with dead fans until I finally get some time. Maybe i'll try mounting the Scythe thick ones on the bottom of the case if it won't clear the Cogage on the side panel.

The Silenx push some serious air at a decent decibal, but it irks me that such an expensive fan can go out so quickly. I always heard good things about them though.

Just lost the fan on my GTS250, finding a replacement is looking like its going to be a major PITA

Ghetto rig it - get a smaller fan (80 or 92mm), zip tie it to the card or heatsink, plug the 3pin cable to a motherboard fan header. ;)

Ghetto rig it - get a smaller fan (80 or 92mm), zip tie it to the card or heatsink, plug the 3pin cable to a motherboard fan header. ;)

Yeah i've just trawled thru 80 pages of fans on ebay - not fun and not one fan that fits properly:eek:

Now i just need another molex/fan adapter. My top end "deluxe" M/B with a hot NF980 chipset only has 4 fan headers:confused::mad:

I just lost an eVGA X58 SLI LE while folding through the night last night... Woke up to a black screen..

Got a new duplicate and a 930 (was 90% sure it was the mobo.. but didnt want to chance it as I want to actually spend my next two weeks gaming and folding rather than waiting on RMAs) from Microcenter..

I guess the old parts will become frankenboxen after I get the RMA...

Woke up to find one box frozen/locked up. Would not boot into windows normally, but will go into safe mode. Looks like the BFG GTX260 has semi-died. It will not boot into windows running a driver meant for the card, only as a plain VGA. That card only made it through 10 months of life with no overclocking, and I guess I'm screwed as it's a BFG card.

Woke up to find one box frozen/locked up. Would not boot into windows normally, but will go into safe mode. Looks like the BFG GTX260 has semi-died. It will not boot into windows running a driver meant for the card, only as a plain VGA. That card only made it through 10 months of life with no overclocking, and I guess I'm screwed as it's a BFG card.

Video cards and woman are a lot alike. be to easy on them and they dont act right!

I'm sorry to hear that. I personally didn't buy it when BFG first announced they were leaving the graphics card business but claimed that RMA's wouldn't be affected. It is a shame as BFG was my 2nd favorite graphics card company behind eVGA. My gaming rig has a pair of XFX's mostly because both of those companies are exclusive to nVidia and you guys know how much I hate nVidia these days.

My GTX280 burned up! It looks like the fan just gave up in the middle of the night. !$#%

I doubt there's any chance of getting a RMA from BFG.

MIA
Antec Neo Power 500w
BFG GTX280

Updated*

Last edited:
I replaced the "dead" 260 yesterday with a GTX470 and have it Folding away.

Funny thing is I still Folded on that box with the CPU SMP client all week, I just had to do it in Windows Safe Mode. :D

Well, my BFG Tech 9800GTX+ emitted magic smoke today. -7k PPD.

Glad it came with a lifetime warranty. :rolleyes:

Someone tell me when a good deal on a GTX460 pops up again, I'm in the market. Not getting a whole new PC until March.

You can get a Sparkle 768mb for $169 at the Egg. I just bought one. OC's nicely.

Someone tell me when a good deal on a GTX460 pops up again, I'm in the market. Not getting a whole new PC until March.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1544255

These are NIB cards, so just ask him to e-mail you a copy of the original invoice (I assume he got his cards from the same Chiefvalue deal that I got mine from), and edit your name into the form before you upload it to EVGA ;).

Back