The Imminent Death Of The Internet Troll

If this website is any example, I would say the internet troll is alive and thriving.

You're assigning some really unrealistic stuff to people who don't deserve it because, I think, you've never been there or had to feel that way or just don't have the ability to feel any empathy for other people. Don't give your kind a bad name by saying silly stuff like this because you want to ignore or write off legitimately creepy stuff as just someone making an unreasonable complaint.

So, let me get this straight: Because this guy didn't respond the way you've apparently been conditioned, you assume he lacks empathy - because you assume he's "never been there or had to feel that way"?

What.

You know, there are 7 billion people on the planet. People are going to manifest reactions to situational stimuli in a fantastic variety of ways, and this overarching need from some people to control human interaction and confine it into this "PC appropriate" box is just plain doomed to fail. Just plain doomed to fail.

Internet trolls will never die, because people are trolls. As long as there is an internet, people are going to find a way to act stupid on it. Attempting to control the entirety of online human interaction is as futile as attempting to control physical human interaction in such a narrow, confining way.

Maybe try hardening? Think of it as a system. How effective of a security strategy would asking all the scammers, virus writers, and hackers to "pretty please with a cherry on top stop doing that" be? It wouldn't, at all. So what do you do? You harden each individual system to be able to deal with these types of threats.

People in the US nowadays simply aren't as versatile or hardened as they used to be. Self-sufficiency is going out the window. We've taught everyone they're a beautiful and unique snowflake, and then we're shocked when they can't react properly under emotional stress. On top of that, now we are watering down definitions of actual criminal statutes and criminalizing not only actions but speech and even thought(!). This is a recipe for disaster.

Also the author of the OPs article is an idiot, his assertion that women suffer the majority of online "harassment" is shown not to be the case with the graphs and research he presented. It's nothing more than yell it loud to make it the truth journalism. Also, lets make sure we throw in those gamergate jabs.

The article also makes suggestions that it is men who are doing online harassment and bullying. When it has been shown in many legal cases that the much of the online harassment to women comes from other women. But we can't have those truths getting out. There is a big difference between some random twitter account threatening to kill someone that they have no actual way to harm and a group of peers tormenting someone into killing themself.

Society as a whole needs to learn to gauge the realities of threats. Just like the ISIS deal, with the government whipping everyone into a panic about the terrorists coming to America and killing everyone. No one stops to think that they have no actual way of getting here and doing anything. They are a bunch of idiots running around in a desert and killing random people there. This doesn't mean we just ignore the issue, we just don't blow it out of proportion and claim to the world that those making the threats are going to pay us a visit and chop our head off. Just like internet threats, put it in perspective of how likely it is to happen. I would imagine that billions of horrible things have been said on twitter yet the number of them that have actually happened are lower than the general crime population.

So, let me get this straight: Because this guy didn't respond the way you've apparently been conditioned, you assume he lacks empathy - because you assume he's "never been there or had to feel that way"?

What.

You know, there are 7 billion people on the planet. People are going to manifest reactions to situational stimuli in a fantastic variety of ways, and this overarching need from some people to control human interaction and confine it into this "PC appropriate" box is just plain doomed to fail. Just plain doomed to fail.

Internet trolls will never die, because people are trolls. As long as there is an internet, people are going to find a way to act stupid on it. Attempting to control the entirety of online human interaction is as futile as attempting to control physical human interaction in such a narrow, confining way.

Maybe try hardening? Think of it as a system. How effective of a security strategy would asking all the scammers, virus writers, and hackers to "pretty please with a cherry on top stop doing that" be? It wouldn't, at all. So what do you do? You harden each individual system to be able to deal with these types of threats.

People in the US nowadays simply aren't as versatile or hardened as they used to be. Self-sufficiency is going out the window. We've taught everyone they're a beautiful and unique snowflake, and then we're shocked when they can't react properly under emotional stress. On top of that, now we are watering down definitions of actual criminal statutes and criminalizing not only actions but speech and even thought(!). This is a recipe for disaster.

Hell Steve Jobs might have been one of the biggest trolls of all time. His claim that Apple as figured out the TV and the watch.

But yes thought crime is coming to fruition at an astounding rate. You can have a vocal minority decide for the majority what is and isn't okay to think and say.

Don't miss the point.
If you conduct a poll and ask 100% if they have ever been sexually harassed you are likely going to get near 100% saying yes.

If you narrowly define sexual harassment as someone physically accosting you in a sexual manner, that is a different story. Assault punishable under the law. But that being the cause it carries a burden of proof.

Well because of the mindset of many, sexual harassment is ANY unwanted attention. That include communication, or someone making a gesture, etc.
Because of this you get results like THIS:

http://wavy.com/2014/04/24/boy-accused-of-sexually-harassing-teacher/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/1...rassment-for-kissing-girl-on-cheek-148424908/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AsSeenOnGMA/story?id=4585388

Oh, okay. Sorry that whoosh sound was me missing the point. I get it now. :)

The ONLY way trolls will be stopped, if everybody is forced to post under their real name, using their dirvers licence photo as their avatar.

Not only as this will stop the kids and any other [insert race here] trash who can't get a drivers licence, it will make people think twice, since I would wager that someone who trolls on a forum would NEVER say the same thing to a persons face IRL.

My guild and I were playing Archeage (a relatively new MMO) last night and we were doing a caravan run in our wagons for gold. Now both of the other guys in the caravan are happily married, but they were trolling as much as they could as we drove across the countryside. Now most of it was completely harmless, such as running over people, and dragging them around, but one lady ran into them and neither the other lady nor my guild-friends would just back off and let the other by. It turned into a 20 minute standoff with onlookers and a bard playing music.

I actually went around them, finished my trade route, teleported back, summoned my ship with the harpoon gun to try to break it up (which didn't work too well, with the ship out of water, her wagon dragged *me* around. I ended up having to ask my guildies to let her go just to end the stalemate.

Now after the event, she messaged one of the guildies about how she was bringing a ship as well, and how she would have stayed their except the trade bonus was 130%. After, her guild leader started complaining to our guild leader and calling us trolls. What nobody mentioned is that she was doing the same thing, but whatever.

It seems that online, even decent guys and gals can turn into jerks.

My guild and I were playing Archeage (a relatively new MMO) last night and we were doing a caravan run in our wagons for gold. Now both of the other guys in the caravan are happily married, but they were trolling as much as they could as we drove across the countryside. Now most of it was completely harmless, such as running over people, and dragging them around, but one lady ran into them and neither the other lady nor my guild-friends would just back off and let the other by. It turned into a 20 minute standoff with onlookers and a bard playing music.

I actually went around them, finished my trade route, teleported back, summoned my ship with the harpoon gun to try to break it up (which didn't work too well, with the ship out of water, her wagon dragged *me* around. I ended up having to ask my guildies to let her go just to end the stalemate.

Now after the event, she messaged one of the guildies about how she was bringing a ship as well, and how she would have stayed their except the trade bonus was 130%. After, her guild leader started complaining to our guild leader and calling us trolls. What nobody mentioned is that she was doing the same thing, but whatever.

It seems that online, even decent guys and gals can turn into jerks.

You mean to tell me that women troll too? Wait that's not possible the gaming media as said so.

The ONLY way trolls will be stopped, if everybody is forced to post under their real name, using their dirvers licence photo as their avatar.

Not only as this will stop the kids and any other [insert race here] trash who can't get a drivers licence, it will make people think twice, since I would wager that someone who trolls on a forum would NEVER say the same thing to a persons face IRL.

I'd rather have twice as many trolls then we have now than this stupid shit.

The irony behind this is funny and astounding. In the UK now you can be jailed for upto 2 years for trolling. However they also have very liberal libel and slander lawsuit guidelines. Now if anyone over there calls someone a troll and that person hasn't been convicted of trolling by the government can now sue those people who call them trolls. Epic.

Also most women do not think they're being harassed when someone pays the slightest bit of attention. If that was the case, there'd be a lot more nasty stuff happening in workplaces where there are policies against it because people would be making tons of reports. People feel harassed when there's a bad vibe, inappropriate and uninvited physical contact, or just downright creepy stuff going on and that's genuinely a rare thing which has nothing at all to do with whether or not a guy has a case of mister ugly face or a problem with his weight/doesn't exercise.
Please define the bolded portion in legal terms, because that's exactly what Mr Righteous was referring to, a total judgement call.

No physical contact? That's easy to respect, understand, and enforce.
A "bad vibe" or "creepy stuff" being considered harassment is looney toons.

I'm gonna die! Excellent!

il1jaw.gif

Please define the bolded portion in legal terms, because that's exactly what Mr Righteous was referring to, a total judgement call.

No physical contact? That's easy to respect, understand, and enforce.
A "bad vibe" or "creepy stuff" being considered harassment is looney toons.

When is anything dealing with human emotions not a judgment call? What I'm getting at though, is that the people who feel like they're being harassed (by company policies) hafta tell the person doing it to stop and that they're uncomfortable. If it continues, then they need to report it properly to management or HR or whatever. Usually, it stops after someone speaks up. Buuuut, the other part of that is that the person making such advances prolly already knows they're own motives and might wanna work on self censorship just a little. You know...to be decent to your fellow humans.

No..it won't. Also I am afraid the first responder was correct. I would rather deal with twice as many trolls than deal with this. Talk about the ultimate system to censor people, that would be any governments wet dream.

Back