The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade my s3315.uk, and at the moment I'm looking at this for the GPU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-151-OK (EDIT: Now looking at this instead: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-267-SP)

To get it to the standard that I want it (able to play GTAIV on recommended settings), I was also looking at upgrading the PSU and the CPU, but I'm having trouble finding slim PSU's for sale in the UK, and I'm not sure what CPU to get. Can anyone help me out with this? The seller needs to be in the UK, so that rules out Newegg and the like, unfortunately.

As a side note, I've seen the cooling issues that people have, I'm planning on mounting this in the pocket bay as an exhaust: http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Expansion-Exhaust-Cooling-Connector/dp/B0000510SS , then put a couple of 40mm fans on the back as an intake. Thoughts?

EDIT: PSU wise, what do people think of these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Advent-Fi...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3f1a41edc7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EZCool-Powe...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344097640&sr=1-1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The challenge with a HP Slimline PSU is finding one with the right dimensions. The stock PSU is 82mm x 41mm x 228mm and replacement PSU’s are shorter at about 150mm. If you can get there, check out KDM http://kdmpower.com/flex.html. The Model: KDM-MFX9300 was my second choice for upgrading. I have a 250W KDM PSU in a S3220N that has worked great. I just liked the specs on the SPI for upgrading two stock Slimlines (previous posts).

Watch out on the 40mm fans. They tend to be high RPM and whine.

The pocket bay is at the bottom of the unit and that is the coolest part of the Slimline. I mounted an 80mm quiet fan so that it draws from the bottom vents and it works well in my upgraded Slimlines (previous posts). I would look at the pocket bay space as a source of cool air. Also, I would not want a warm breeze blowing on me from the case.

From what I have seen of Slimline MOBO failures, it is the chipset that overheats and dies. The thermal paste dries out and the heat sink isn’t up to the task. This seems to happen at about four years. Renewing the thermal paste and any cooling improvement to the chipset should increase the MOBO life.

Quadrifoglio, nice write up about installing ASUS P8H61-I. But I don't think I ran into the problem you mentioned about PCIe-x16 slot. I installed E-350 mITX board to a s3000 series case and the PCIe-x16 slot aligns perfectly to one of the expansion slots. I even tried plugging in a graphics card just to see and it fits nicely. You can see the photos from my post in previous page.

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to install a GPU in my slimline in order to run games at 1920x1080 without lag; I don't care about max settings. I really appreciate the people who have invested time posting the information that is provided in this thread, because there is very little information to be found elsewhere on the 'net. Unfortunately, everything in the beginning of this thread seems geared more towards the older slimline models and a lot of the cards suggested are discontinued. I've done a lot of research and I think I've settled on what to get, but I just wanted some more opinions before I pull the trigger.

Here are the exact specs for my computer: HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1114

Here is the PSU I plan on getting: SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W

And here is the GPU I am thinking of getting: MSI nVidia GeForce GT440

I've read that this GPU is a little taller than normal low profile cards, so I need extra space in there for it to fit. I haven't yet had a chance to open up my computer and check to make sure I've got enough space, but I plan on doing that later tonight and I will edit this post with an update once I do so. I'm pretty sure I should be fine, though; it looks like there are additional slots there that I don't plan on using anyway. EDIT: I took a quick glance at the inside of the case and it looks like I should have enough space for the card. The main connector on the motherboard also looks like a standard sized one, so I don't think I'll need any adapters.

I guess I'm just asking for verification from some knowledgeable folk on whether or not these components would be a good fit for my computer. Will I need to also get adapters for certain connecters as is suggested on the first page of this thread or do the newer slimline models such as mine come with standard connectors? If these components would work in my computer, would I be able to run a game like Diablo 3 at 1920x1080 resolution without frame loss?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello all. I found this site by searching up my problem. I picked up a couple of slimlines (s3100n & s3020n) from craigslist that the seller said were having problems. The price was right and I love to tinker so I figured why not try.
These are having the No Video Problem. There are no beeps of any kind even when I remove CPU & Memory. So that means most likely MOBO or Power Supply. I'm waiting for the Power Supply adapter right now as I have a spare PSU (but with a 24pin connector) and the MOBO has the mini (micro?) connector. From what I've read I can use the 20Pin to 24Pin mini adapter with my 24Pin PSU so here's hoping it'll work. When I took the CPU off, apparently the stock paste was still on there, and it was all dried out. But what I am wondering is if the CPU overheated, shouldn't I still get some kind of beep/error when I remove it and power the unit up? I'm guessing it's the MOBOs that are fried in both units, in which case I'll have to find another one to fit in both units. I saw a couple of posts back that someone found another MOBO and it fit in the case and the only real drawback was losing a USB slot (for the external hard drive caddy) which I can easily do without. But I didn't look too much into that solution yet to see if I can reuse the CPU/Memory and if I'll have to get another CPU fan.
If it's the Power Supply then I'll have to go back thru the posts and start looking up what y'all have been recommending to others.
Basically I bought these to see if I can get working and then for web surfing and who knows what else I can figure out for them as I don't want to put too much money into them, but will definitely put them to good use somehow.
So any recommendations on anything else I can try? I did put a PCI-x video card into 1 of the units, but I still didn't get anything on the screen. When I press the power button, the light goes yellow to a kind of green I think and the CPU fan starts running and it just keeps running but the CPU itself doesn't seem to get hot (I didn't have a hard drive in it). I also haven't taken the MOBO out to make sure there isn't anything shorting it out, but as both units exhibit the same symptoms, I'm not thinking it's going to be something that lucky.

Thank y'all for your great info and updates with what y'all have done with your units and what y'all have done to help folks like me out in the past.

If you have a multimeter, it is fairly easy to test a Slimline PSU in the case. http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-clip-test.pdf shows the basics. Paperclips, unless they are really small, are too big for the HPS connector and will stretch out the contacts. I found that a small safety pin was the correct diameter. Cut the head off and have one leg slightly longer. Bend to fit. A non-conductive tie through the eye of the safety pin lets you attach it to a lead so you can find it easily next time.

http://circuitschematic.blogspot.com/2011/06/atx-power-supply-pinout.html shows what voltages should be at each connector pin. If the fan runs and the values are plus/minus 5 percent, call it good and move on.

I have not yet found a problem Slimline with a bad CPU or a bad PSU. In order of occurrence, the problems have been bad Southbridge chipset, bad hard drives, and bad capacitors. Bad caps and bad hard drive can be repaired. A bad Southbridge is disposable technology.

By the way, the Southbridge manages just about everything except the CPU and memory. It can reveal itself as problems with BIOS, Ethernet, floppy or hard drives, USB, etc., etc.

Hmmmm, that means I may need to look into geting a MOBO then. I was just worried that the thermal paste was so old and dried that the CPU overheated and cooked itself. Of course if that was the case I would have thought that I would have gotten some beeps or something when I removed the CPU.

I liked the fact that the ASRock E-350 fits perfect in the case according to AIRCool but not the price attached to it lol. Guess I need to do a little more research for a Mini-ITX that I can re-use the CPU/Memory from the original s3100n/s3020n without having to do major mods to the case. I have a feeling it won't be that easy.

What causes the Southbridge to go bad? Is it because of poor cooling? If so I can just see about replacing the MOBO from another s3100n and making sure I keep it cool. But if it's more than just cooling I would like to find a more permanent solution.

Well, the ASRock is $95 but you have to consider it includes a CPU. And it will be very cool and keeps the power in check. What kind of CPU and memory do you want to reuse?

By far the biggest issue of reusing the stock power supply is the 4-pin CPU power connector. If you can somehow come up with an elegant solution, the world opens to you. You can use all kinds of Mini-ITX motherboards and they will all fit. You may be able to find some motherboard that uses laptop memory and does not require the 4-pin CPU power. Also, 4-core Atom will appear soon and I think they would work too. Big incentives with modern M/B are you get to use cheap DDR3 RAM, SATA-3 SSD and USB 3.0.

What causes the Southbridge to go bad? Usually it is the nemesis of all electronics, heat. I had one chip that was bubbled from heat.

Part of the problem is that the original “thermal paste” under the passive “heat exchanger” is the color and consistency of a baked clay tile. Another part is that the chip is about the size of a dime and doesn’t have the surface area to passively conduct the heat, no matter how big the heat sink. It really needs active cooling.

Hmmm would figure that such a small thing can cause such a big problem lol.

Right now I have 2 systems that I was going to try and reuse the CPU/Memory from. 1 is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.1Ghz) and the other is AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.0Ghz). Not the fastest nor near the latest technology but more than enough for web-browsing and maybe storage. Maybe I'll try to find a normal size MOBO and put them in a larger case. The memory is only DDR2 SDRAM but again, I have it in hand so why not use it till I can upgrade it.

I was thinking of upgrading the PSU since y'all have already found so many replacements that don't require the case to be changed. I did do a quick search and came up with this adapter to go from Mini 24 Pin to Standard 20+4 Pin adapter. http://sewelldirect.com/Mini-24-Pin-to-24204-Pin-ATX-Converter-Adapter-for-HP-Slimline.asp so if that works, then I could keep using the low power PSU just to get this up and running with a different MOBO (assuming the PSU has enough juice to run everything ha ha)

There is no reason to pay more than $7.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190559143398

But since you have AMD, I recall your PSU is just 160W. So you don't really have lots of head rooms. You should not add discrete GPU to increase the load.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, that's def a better price. Was just going to replace things in stages once I actually got it up and running but may go ahead and do the PS and get a new MB. I'm sure there are full size MB's for the AM2 that I can just put in another case. I didn't plan on adding another Video Card to the PC for awhile.

Since I'm replacing the MB, has anyone heard of any success of heating up the Southbridge with a heating gun? Figure if I'm going to replace it, I may as well try things with it just for grins. I opened it up yesterday and took the heat sink off the South Bridge and it did start to heat up. But I didn't keep it running just yet. Even on the remote chance I got it working that way, I wouldn't keep it permanent since that just means it's own heat would cause it to work free again. The black goo that keeps the south bridge attached to the heatsink looks like it had partially melted and started running.

I read about people talking about bad caps and such but didn't see any obvious ones on my MB. So the ASRock E350 is looking better and better for a replacement.

Ok, I did a little more looking for a MB just cause I was curious and found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157309 but it has 2 PCI and 2 PCI-Express. To me that doesn't seem like it would fit. Or if it does fit, then the Cards won't be located in the right places. The other thing is it says it uses a 24 Pin ATX and 4 Pin 12V connector. Which again leads to needing another PS and buying this MB (unless I use an external PS for awhile until I buy the right one).

I'm leery about the E350 cause it's a drop in CPU power and the price. Course if I have to buy a new MB and PS then the price difference goes out the window. Also I see alot of Mini-ITX MBs have a different CPU cooler attachement than what comes with the Slimline. What is that cooler style called (The blue semi square thing around the CPU on the webpage I pasted). Cause that'll add to the cost of replacing the MB.

Have you looked at the Acacia M2N61-AR motherboards on eBay? The vendors seem to be mostly from China and priced around 100 bucks. The HematiteXL boards were junk and I replaced mine with an Acacia board. It worked and was a lot less aggravation than a mini ITX I put in a 2nd slimline case later.

I just did a real quick search. Have you had any issues with it? I'll look into the details later when I get home, was it a direct replacement for the original or did you have to buy anything else (heatsink or adapters).

Ok, I did a little more looking for a MB just cause I was curious and found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157309 but it has 2 PCI and 2 PCI-Express. To me that doesn't seem like it would fit. Or if it does fit, then the Cards won't be located in the right places. The other thing is it says it uses a 24 Pin ATX and 4 Pin 12V connector. Which again leads to needing another PS and buying this MB (unless I use an external PS for awhile until I buy the right one).

The motherboard you looked at is an mATX, there is no way it could fit in an s3000 case. I am not familiar with the AMD. Not sure about its compatibility with your CPU. You will likely need a new case with PSU plus a new HSF if you were to pick up that MB. Also, it seems you won't be able to use DDR3 RAM unless you upgrade your CPU.

The board would take DDR3 or DDR2 depending on what CPU was in there. So it looked like I could use the parts from the PC currently and then upgrade them later. But would have to upgrade the PS now like you said. I think I'm getting confused on MB's now tho. Is mATX a mini-ATX and the Slimline uses a Micro-ATX? I'm sure if I re-read the forum it would tell me the answer but I am being lazy this AM.

I am looking at cephusjed's recommendation on a MB now. If that works then my next step will be the PS and then a Video Card. But gonna take baby steps, plus it's easier on the wallet this way.

I do appreciate y'all input and help with everything on getting this up and running.

mATX is micro-ATX. The Slimline s3000 series uses mini-ITX (not entirely true as the stock M/B is slightly wider and comes with 2 expansion slots. I forgot what it is called). mATX is much wider than the mITX.

But note that the Slimline s5000 series uses mATX board with 2 left most slots (out of 4) being blocked by the PSU. This is most likely where the confusion lies.

QUOTE=Cozgrove;1039125110]I just did a real quick search. Have you had any issues with it? I'll look into the details later when I get home, was it a direct replacement for the original or did you have to buy anything else (heatsink or adapters).[/QUOTE]

If you have a HematiteXL, it is a direct replacement. They shipped a backplate that was a piece of junk so I used the HematiteXL backplate which was more than adequate. I seem to recall that I had to take the heatsink plate or whatever it is called to attach to the new board to use the old system fan/heatsink. Otherwise everything transferred directly.

Last edited:
INFORMATION OVERLOAD ! Way too much too consume, but maybe someone here can answer me this question

Did HP ever make a Slimline with an AMD mobo with 4 (functioning) memory slots and a PCI-E x16 slot ?

OR to ask it another way

Does the HP Aloe mobo (from the Elite series) fit inside a Slimline case without major mods to the case ?

Depends on which Slimline series. The s3000 series will not. The s5000 series most likely can. My s5150t has 4 DDR3 memory slots, 1 PCIe-x16 and 3 PCIe-x1 (2 of them blocked by PSU). The MB looks just like the one you linked.

Did HP ever make a Slimline with an AMD mobo with 4 (functioning) memory slots and a PCI-E x16 slot ?

Depends on which Slimline series. The s3000 series will not. The s5000 series most likely can. My s5150t has 4 DDR3 memory slots, 1 PCIe-x16 and 3 PCIe-x1 (2 of them blocked by PSU). The MB looks just like the one you linked.

Unfortunately the mobo for the s5150t (Eureka3) is for an Intel chip. I would prefer an AMD mobo.

Here is a list of all Slimline s5000 models. You can find the link to motherboards. Help yourself.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=3942803&cc=us&dest_page=product&dlc=en&lc=en

WOW ! Another "fire hose" of information, but ultimately very uses full ! These are a few HP mobo that fit the bill

• H-Alpinia-RS780L-uATX
  • N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX

Are there any significant differences in any of the s5000 case that would prevent you from swapping mobo from one case into another cases ?

Last edited:
Hello, First post;
My question is about upgrading to a dedicated gpu for my HP s3700y slimline. I read through a significant portion of this thread and learned a great deal. I searched the thread for an answer but maybe I missed it. This pc has sat boxed unused for about a year; I think i've intalled 100's of mb of updates since setting it back up.
So what is currently the best graphics card to install? This comes stock with the Nvidia 6150se. I read about PSU issues, cooling, etc.

AMD Athlon x2 64

M2N61-AR (Acacia) mobo

Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM2
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI
1 PCI x16 slot for graphics card

I am really just confused because it seems like there are so many gpu options. I want to be able to play a few decent games, and use this as a way to watch movies on the TV. Also, I've noticed that many low profile cards range from 9" length and lower into 5" range; does this matter at all as long as it is PCI x16 compatible?

Hi,

I'm new to the site but have been doing lot of research. I need to get a new graphic card for my HP S3400f and have made a decision to buy ATI HD4550. I know that card has been discontinued so it is hard to get ahold of. Is there any other card that will work?

This are the motherboard spec.

Manufacturer: Asus
Form factor: Asus
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
Processor socket: AM2
Expansion Slots:

1 PCI
1 PCI x16 slot for graphics card

I know the Power suppply is rated as 160w.

Also, is PCI X16 same as PCI 2.0 X16? It doesn't really specify.

Have you read through the first post of this thread? There is a bunch of info there. I just recently purchased a GeForce 9600 GSO from tiger direct it was a good deal imo. 15$ + s/h (after rebate). But also got a new psu, as I've read that the 160w is not enough.

All I can say is WOW! This thread is an absolute goldmine of information -- and I intend to read all 250+ pages...eventually.

I've read bits and pieces regarding my problem but have yet to put it all together. I am not an experienced upgrader, other than the odd memory upgrade here and there over the years, but I can use a screwdriver and be tender with the inner workings of my machine when I need to be. :) SO I'm just going to post what's been happening and hope someone can shed some light on things....

I've had my S3020n for about 6 years. A few months ago it would freeze up after being on for a few minutes. The screen would get all garbled and that was it. I came to learn the on-board video was shot. I began researching the video card issue and settled on the Asus HD5450 Silent, believing that my meager 160w PSU would suffice.

I marveled at the awesome HD picture on by reborn PC! That worked for about 2 days. :( Suddenly, after the desktop would appear during startup, the hourglass would freeze up...and that was it. It wouldn't do anything else. I reset the machine...same thing. I tried going through safe mode...same thing.

Then another "classic problem" appeared: I would turn on the machine and the fan would turn on, the blue light would be on, the optical drive would make a few noises...but nothing else. It will sit like that forever if I let it.

So, back to Google and trying to find out what the hell was happening. I read of several people with the same problem and the PSU was their problem, so I bought one of these 300watt dudes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-300W-Po...-/260681485995?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item3cb1d3ceab

Now, nothing has changed. The infernal machine still does the same thing. Blue light on, fan on, optical drive makes noise...and that's it.

I did make some adjustments to the display settings and attempted to uninstall Avast immediately after the HD5450 was installed. It was AFTER that that the power-up issue started. But I have come to the understanding that I am looking at a hardware issue here...not software.

Please -- can anyone shed light on this? What should be my next step? Motherboard? CPU? Divine intervention?

Like I said, I am making my way through the hundreds of pages here -- and I am set on making this machine work and enjoying the education...but I wanted to post the problem hoping that someone else has run across this.

Thanks tons!

Randy

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The problems with 3000 Slimlines that I have seen in descending order are partial or complete chip failure, hard drive problem, and bad capacitors. It may just be me but I have yet to see a PSU failure. Post #4966 tells you how to check your old PSU to see if it was the problem.

1. Try booting from the floppy, optical, or USB and check the hard drive. Or if you have a spare HD, pop it in.
2. Check the capacitors for damage. Put “bad capacitors” into Google and select images. My 3020 has five bad capacitors that I need to get around to recapping. Badcaps.com has good information about recapping a board.
3. Shop for a new MOBO and memory. Read post #4957 and 4958. They will walk you through a MOBO upgrade step-by-step.

I have a KDM 250 on my 3020 and am happy with it.

Best of luck.

Qaudrifoglio,

Thanks for the reply!

I did a cursory check for bad capacitors and didn't see anything...I checked for bulging pretty well, but need to do a more full exam for leaks (or whatever).

Will try other boot options - and am hoping it's not a HDD problem.

Any other feedback is most welcome! :)

i recently acquired an hp s5000 slimline that had been confiscated by the police and thoroughly dismantled...most of the connections were left disconnected...i went through and hooked it all back up, but theres a spare black-ended wire under the power box and a spare plug on the processor (?) that doesnt have and wires to plug into it...it doesnt show anything on the monitor when i fire it up, but the lights and fans work...any thoughts?

A photo would help us help you. My guess is there is a 4-pin CPU power that needs to be plugged in.

Well, after four years of working trouble free my HP Slimline s3713w will not turn on. :( It has a stock 160w power supply. Any recommendations for a replacement PSU? Are the ones listed in the first post still the best choices?

Last edited:
Four years seems to be the magic number for S3XXXX Slimlines. Before you spend the money for a new PSU, check the old one. Post #4966 tells you how to check your PSU. I have been happy with KDM or Sparkle PSU's.

Well, got a nifty little set of HDD adapter cables and connected the old drive to my laptop. Spins up and works just fine. WHEW! At least my data is safe! :D

Which leaves capacitors and mobo, right?

One thing I noticed when I was trying out the PSU last week is there is a plug left open without a cable. I don't recall unplugging this little thing, but maybe I am missing something? There was no cable for this on the original PSU. Can someone tell me what is supposed to plug into the little white 4-pin socket immediately left of the main power plug-in?? Maybe it was left unused in my original configuration...dunno.

c00910084-M2NC51-AR.jpg

Thanks SO much! :)

AirCool -- I am so grateful for you pointing out this mobo! This may be the answeer to my prayers! :)

Just a couple questions:

1. How is the system running now after 6 months?

2. You can't reuse the original RAM in this new mobo, can you? I think my original is DDR2...maybe? I also see on the specs in the eBay listing that the E-350 can take a max of 16GB...is that correct?

Thanks!

Randy

AirCool -- I am so grateful for you pointing out this mobo! This may be the answeer to my prayers! :)

Just a couple questions:

1. How is the system running now after 6 months?

2. You can't reuse the original RAM in this new mobo, can you? I think my original is DDR2...maybe? I also see on the specs in the eBay listing that the E-350 can take a max of 16GB...is that correct?

Thanks!

Randy

Actually, I have only used the system for a few days as I was waiting for the price of HDD to drop. What a long wait! Now my wait is over and I am going to start putting it into production now. But I did tested everything I care with a fully functional Windows 7 down to Media Center.

The only regrets are that the new motherboard has only 1 PCIe slot. But then since I don't have to bother with graphics card, I saved a slot. Another thing is the M/B does not support dual color LED, a very minor thing but it was so nice when the slimline can show a different solid color during standby, instead of an annoying blink.

You cannot reuse the DDR2 RAM but then I bet you have 2GB or less. Even if you have 4GB, it is not worth much in DDR3 terms. Just now, I see 2x8GB DDR3 for $19 after rebate. One advantage (or disadvantage) of E-350 is that it does not support dual channel. So it will not hurt your performance by using just 1 memory stick. I am not sure what the max it can support, but 2x8GB seems reasonable.

Air Cool,

Thanks for the info...especially on the RAM. I figured that would be the case but just wanted to confirm. This is all quite new ground for me. I know it really isn't rocket science...but is a bit intimidating for a noob.

I don't think I can go crazy on the RAM anyway as my version on Vista is only 32bit...so can only take advantage of 4GB anyway. (If I understand things correctly.)

My plan is to backup the data on my HDD and just slap it back in once the new mobo is installed. I intend to ugrade the HDD down the road and install Windows 7 (which should let me take advantage of higher RAM, right?). I just need this thing running soon...and all the extra goodies have to wait for more $$.

Are there any issues with just reusing the old HDD with the old OS on the new motherboard? Will everything boot up as normal or will new settings need to be done, etc?

Thanks!

Randy

Back