The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

the BE-2450 seems to be released in other countries, there are pictures of it ect on google for chineese and german websites --- I should think it would have been released by now in the states, but can't find it anywhere not a record of it in any of the price search engines. You might just write customer support at AMD and see if they can provide you a timeframe.

The BE-2300 runs at 1.9GHZ, while the BE_2350 runs at 2.1GHZ and the BE-2400 runs at 2.3GHZ Finally the BE-2450 will run at 2.5GHZ. So definately the BE-2450 would be your best bet when it finally comes out.

AMD's got a strange naming convention with these 45 watt processors --- What a mess.

It has been renamed to the "4850e" processor (the 2.5g 45w Brisbane). No sign of it anywhere in the US that I have been able to find.

Has anyone been successful using the SD or CompactFlash ports on the front of the Slimline for the Readyboost feature of Vista?

Has anyone been successful using the SD or CompactFlash ports on the front of the Slimline for the Readyboost feature of Vista?

you can definately do it, but you need a very fast card, newegg has some that are rated at different X speeds. Like 120x, 133x, 150x etc.

The slowest you'll be want to use for readyboost is about a 133x which is about 20Mb/sec

Newegg has a 2GB 150x card for only $5 that should serve you well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211314

You'll want a readyboost size equivalent to the amount of physical RAM you have ideally I think I've read. 2GB of RAM = 2GB Ready Boost. 1GB of RAM = 1GB Ready Boost.

This has become a battle of heat vs. noise for me on this PC. I tried to put an aftermarket cooler on the 8400gs and it seems to be louder than stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119080

The fanless Sapphire 3450 fried my tuner and I am replacing it with a VistaView PCI dual tuner that will arrive Friday. I will run that with the stock 8400gs. Watching Blu Ray discs causes the GPU fan to run loudly. I guess I have decided to just crank up the z5500 speakers and deal with it. If I was to do it again, I would probably get the s3330f http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3330f/4507-3118_7-32814503.html?tag=sub and be done with it. Great thread and forum, but I am about finished tinkering with this setup. Good luck.

This has become a battle of heat vs. noise for me on this PC. I tried to put an aftermarket cooler on the 8400gs and it seems to be louder than stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119080

The fanless Sapphire 3450 fried my tuner and I am replacing it with a VistaView PCI dual tuner that will arrive Friday. I will run that with the stock 8400gs. Watching Blu Ray discs causes the GPU fan to run loudly. I guess I have decided to just crank up the z5500 speakers and deal with it. If I was to do it again, I would probably get the s3330f http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3330f/4507-3118_7-32814503.html?tag=sub and be done with it. Great thread and forum, but I am about finished tinkering with this setup. Good luck.

I understand completely. If I can quiet this thing it will be the perfect htpc. I can live with the fan on my galaxy tech 8600gt, it is the cpu fan that drives me nuts. It now turns on every 5 minutes and it is a rocket!

Archea, I have looked at the fan on the heatsink and it really just looks like a case fan. I bought an 80mm Nexus silent case fan intending to put that in somewhere to help out. Once I opened it up, I quickly saw that wasn't going to happen and that is when I looked at the cpu fan. It is obviously smaller than 80 mm, I wonder if it is 60 mm. I am too lazy to open it up at the moment. Papst makes a quiet 60 mm case fan. Would it be possible to switch the Papst for the stock fan, or would it be certain death for the cpu? Here is a link: http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=papst_60mm.html?id=qb3b42I9

I think you'll find that that four pin standard molex connector isn't going to have a place to plug in in that case If I remember right. You'll need to splice wires, but I certaintly don't think you'll hurt the cpu by swapping out the fan. All modern CPU's have throttling in too hot of enviornments which will prevent the CPU from dying, but you may be running at slower MHZ speeds when it gets too hot. Are you handy with a dremel? Putting a big slim/thin fan on the side of the case might be a better idea overall as it would help keep everything cool. You'd have to be pretty professional with your circle cut or it'd look cruddy.

Well, I upgraded the psu so I have 4 pin molex connectors to spare. I have a cnc router that I could use to cut a nice circle and drill fan holes. just don't want to destroy the sleek look of the case. I really thought I could get that 80 mm fan to fit in there somewhere, but alas there is no room. I think a 60 mm fan would fit between the heatsink/fan and the video card.

I've read through this entire thread and could not find an issue to my problem (although, I must admit, this community seems amazing and very helpful). I recently pulled the trigger on a slimline s3120n. It's a refurb from J&R with Vista. I'm not a gamer, but I do enjoy watching movies on the television, and doing something else on my monitor (web browsing, using word, excel, etc). I have the tv hooked up through S-video(s-video to s-video), but I cannot for the life of me get both my monitor and TV to display at the same time.

I've tried updating the drivers to the latest nvidia beta, the result of that was I could not even get display on the screen(just came up white snow). So I tried rolling back to the original drivers, the display would still not show up! I then tried the Omega drivers, same thing, just snow on the screen. So after hours of frustration, I ended up using the recovery tool to reformat the computer to the way it was right out of the box. I made all necessary updates to vista, MINUS the Nvidia drivers. I can currently view one display at a time, but not dual or multi monitor.

When I go into the Nvidia display tool, single display works fine, but when I go into multi monitor, neither my dell lcd or tv pops up. I'm getting so frustrated with this thing, I've been searching the web and could not find anything. I would rather not buy a new video card...but if it comes down to it I think I would. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I figured this thread would be the best place to post my problem.

I got a s3300f this weekend, I also ordered the 8600gt galaxy card to go with it. I like it a lot so far, although the harddrive seems to be accessed constantly by Vista (anyone know what to do about that?)

I was just wondering how high everyones CPU's were running, I checked AMD and they say that an Athlon x2 5000+ max operating temp is 55-70 celcius (quite a range), my CPU0 was running at 42, my CPU1 was running at 55, at idle mind you, which has me a little worried. I was using the trial version of Hmonitor. I was wondering what everyone else has. I'm assuming that the Galaxy card should actually help a bit since the CPU won't have to bother with graphics, even though it may heat the chassis up a bit.

I got a s3300f this weekend, I also ordered the 8600gt galaxy card to go with it. I like it a lot so far, although the harddrive seems to be accessed constantly by Vista (anyone know what to do about that?)

I was just wondering how high everyones CPU's were running, I checked AMD and they say that an Athlon x2 5000+ max operating temp is 55-70 celcius (quite a range), my CPU0 was running at 42, my CPU1 was running at 55, at idle mind you, which has me a little worried. I was using the trial version of Hmonitor. I was wondering what everyone else has. I'm assuming that the Galaxy card should actually help a bit since the CPU won't have to bother with graphics, even though it may heat the chassis up a bit.

Vista when first installed does lots of indexing on the drives, that drive activity should settle down over the course of a couple days.

The 8600 GPU will heat up your case not cool it down because it will generate quite a bit more heat than your previous gpu. But it won't generate enough heat to worry much about anything. My exp. on the temp monitoring with my slimline was iffy at best...seemed it was always reporting oddly. Not sure it was working correctly. Some of have said the same, others have said their reporting seemed fine. Not sure what to say about that, but it isn't that big of a deal either way. Have fun with your new setup.

Vista when first installed does lots of indexing on the drives, that drive activity should settle down over the course of a couple days.

The 8600 GPU will heat up your case not cool it down because it will generate quite a bit more heat than your previous gpu. But it won't generate enough heat to worry much about anything. My exp. on the temp monitoring with my slimline was iffy at best...seemed it was always reporting oddly. Not sure it was working correctly. Some of have said the same, others have said their reporting seemed fine. Not sure what to say about that, but it isn't that big of a deal either way. Have fun with your new setup.

I saw that you tried to spec your slimline essentially to what I will have when I install the 8600gt, I hope I don't run short of juice like you did, I think the s3300f still only has a 160 watt PSU. :(

yeah but at worst case scenario you can buy a BE-2400 and probaly be okay, now that the BIOS supports them. A BE-2400, 4GB RAM, and an 8600GT is no slouch of a pc - not cutting edge, but power efficient and still fairly robust! I never got to try everything with the BE-2400 because at the time I owned my slimline there was no bios update that supported it.

To determine if your slimline can handle the 8600GT - throw it in full performance mode through the screensaver power options with Vista. You'll know within a couple minutes if you've got too much of a load on that power supply, it'll just reboot. (mine did anyway).

by the way. I still have my BE-2400. I've never sold it. If anyone is interested. let me know. I paid $110 new retail from newegg at the time, now they are 99 + shipping/tax. I'd sell it for $90 shipped. Nothing wrong with it. Just sitting in it's box collecting dust.

I was on with HP customer support, and they claimed the s3300f with 160watt PSU will run the Galaxy 8600gt, even on full power settings, but that "you may face issues when you run high end graphics oriented programs", I asked what issues and they answered ominously "power issues".

Every Vista installation that I have ever seen has the indexing service enabled by default and has a lot of catching up to do. I noticed that with my slimline too when it was brand new. Leave your computer on around the clock until the indexing process has catalogued your entire installation and then it will stop grinding away at your drive. Your other option is to stop the indexing service all-together, but I recommend that you allow it to complete as it really will speed up search queries in the future.

I bought my GF a Toshiba Satellite that was nearly unuseable until the indexing was complete and then we found that it is the fastest and most responsive laptop that we've ever used. In the old days, it was sometimes best to stop the indexing process because it seemed to go on without end in Windows XP and older systems just didn't have the resources to spare as todays systems do.

PS. I use Coretemp 0.95 to monitor CPU temps on my system and it puts the temperatures of both cores right on the taskbar for easy viewing. Does your CPU fan throttle up occasionally during normal use? I made a post earlier in this thread about removing the factory thermal pad and replacing it with thermal paste, AS5 to be specific and I couldn't believe how much less noise my fan makes as a result.

Heres an excerpt from pg.11 on this thread:

A few days ago, I made my first DVD from home movies that I made with my DV camcorder this summer. The Windows Movie Maker packaged with Vista is great for noobs like myself. I was pleased with the results given the simpicity of the whole process.

I was running CoreTemp during the encoding process and grew very concerned about the CPU temps under the sustained, high load. CPU temps were running around 170 deg F for the entire encoding process! Very worried, I tried combinations of fans blowing on the case, eventually opening the case, blowing fans in the case. In the end I just sat back and listened to CPU fan running full speed with temps in the high 160's - low 170's. I realized that inadequate thermal management on this machine was resulting in thermal run-away under these conditions - the fan could absoultely NOT keep up.

Tonight I decided to pop the heat sink off and apply some Arctic Silver 5 that I had laying around from all of my laptop rebulids. I had never really been impressed with AS5 before. I just figured it was ordinary paste and couldn't rationalize it's fanatical following by techies that seem to know what they're doing. But I decided to give it a try, one last ditch before I could justify liquid cooling this machine to the wife.

The stock TIM that HP decided to use in this application was stiff and blue in color. It was so stiff, that I have a suspicion that it was a cured thermal pad more than any compound. I picked it off and cleaned the surfaces with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I applied a spot the size of a half-grain of rice on the center of the chip and spread it out with my finger until it was uniformly thin - I could still read the print on the processor through the thin layer of paste. Then re-attached the heat sink.

I am encoding the very same video right now as I type this and my core temps are: 149 and 135 deg F at 100% load as reported by Task Manager. I am seeing a real 20 degree drop in Core temp with AS5. Even more impressive is the fact that the CPU fan has no problem keeping up with the heat with much less noise than before. Have you ever noticed that within mere seconds of starting a processor intensive application, your CPU fan speed begins to ramp up and stays up until load is reduced? Now with AS5, my computer doesn't do that. I began this encoding job thirty minutes ago and I have not heard my fan run full-speed yet. In fact, it just ramps up just a little higher than what seems like it's minimum speed for just moments then settles right back down.

After using AS5 in my s3020n, I am a believer in it's powers! I would do it again in a heatbeat. I was this close to buying a new heatsink for this thing or even going with liquid cooling before I pulled the AS5 out of the drawer.

We'll make believer of you yet ! I've been using Arctic silver since they were 2 and it made the difference between 950Mhz and 1Ghz...

I just picked up a s3223w refurb from Microcetner and plan on running XBMC on Ubuntu...
So my intended upgrades include: maxing out the 4GB of ram, adding in the Seagate 750GB I picked up for $100, and adding a low profile vid card w/hdmi. I plan on swapping out the CPU to a spare box and sticking in a 45w one taht I have. Future upgrade maybe a Bluray/HDDVD combo drive... I plan on connecting several XBOX 360 controllers and sticking MAME on it.

If I find a better case, I may even go through the pinouts of the power supply and wire a harness for a normal PSU...
This should be an interesting project...

And the thread name shouldbe changed to HP Slimline :-D

Coretemp shows me completely different numbers, exactly ten degrees lower then hmonitor for CPU1, same for CPU2. I'll take a stab at it and say hmonitor is off, have yet to hear my CPU fan turn on.

For my latest adventures in S3020N. Well it died again. I have now gone through 3 MOBO's and HP is finally thinking that there is something wrong with the PC and they are going to replace the computer. I think that I have spent more time with my computer down during these past 4 months then with it up and running.
So the good news is that I am getting an upgrade. The new model that I am getting is the S3200N. I will be upgraded from a 2.0GHz processor to a 2.5 GHz processor and 1 gig memory to 2 gig memory and 250 GB to 320 GB Hard drive.
Has anyone had any problems upgrading this machine? Any problems with 4GB ram and an 8500GT video card, and the memory taken?

For my latest adventures in S3020N. Well it died again. I have now gone through 3 MOBO's and HP is finally thinking that there is something wrong with the PC and they are going to replace the computer. I think that I have spent more time with my computer down during these past 4 months then with it up and running.
So the good news is that I am getting an upgrade. The new model that I am getting is the S3200N. I will be upgraded from a 2.0GHz processor to a 2.5 GHz processor and 1 gig memory to 2 gig memory and 250 GB to 320 GB Hard drive.
Has anyone had any problems upgrading this machine? Any problems with 4GB ram and an 8500GT video card, and the memory taken?

Jawa -- have you had the 4GB of RAM an the 8500GT in each machine that died?

You could be overloading your Powersupply with that setup and causing mintor voltage fluctuations/unclean power that are typical when you stress a PSU too much which then put stress on system components - espically the motherboard.

Jawa -- have you had the 4GB of RAM an the 8500GT in each machine that died?

You could be overloading your Powersupply with that setup and causing mintor voltage fluctuations/unclean power that are typical when you stress a PSU too much which then put stress on system components - espically the motherboard.
No, on my old machine the S3020N I only had 1 GB of ram with the 8500 GT, so it should not have been overloading the system.

I got my 4GB of RAM everything is solidly stable even during encoding. I got a new Monitor 19"inch HP. Here is a list of all the best cards out there for any slim!

Unfortunately these cards are different memory types when they were benchmarked in toms hardware. I wish they all could have been GDDR-2/ or 3. (Missing the 8500GT GDDR-2/ or 3)

------------------
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT = 30W-MAX = 962.Overall FPS
1st PL combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT = 27W-MAX = ? Overall FPS
2nd PLACE combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
ATI HD2600Pro = 31W-MAX = 731.2 Overall FPS
3rd PLACE combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
Nvdia Geforce 7600GS = 27W-MAX = 624.7 Overall FPS
4th PL combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
ATI X1300XT = 28W-MAX = 618.0 Overall FPS

Source http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

The 8400GS draws up to 45W Max output peak. These are to my knowledge the best video cards around. The 8500GT-GDDR2 should be slightly better than even a ATI HD2600Pro GDDR-3.

For those interested: I was able to install Kalyway OS X 10.5.1 on my s3100y, dual booting with Vista. After installing OS-X I had to recover the Vista partition using an install disk. Since HP doesn't include an install disk, you have to download one off the net or borrow one from a friend.
Audio drivers are ALC888, available here
8600GT Drivers are available here
I couldn't get the built-in LAN to work but others have. It is Intel PRO/100 VE 0x27dc8086
Instead, I've been using a Linksys USB to Ethernet adapter USB200M which worked without having to install any software.
To write files from OS X to my NTFS partition and USB Drive (NTFS) I used MacFUSE and NTFS 3G.

Overall it works. Startup is pretty quick. Downsides are that it can't display HD video perfectly smooth (driver issues), built in LAN isn't working and there aren't any games I play available.

I got my 4GB of RAM everything is solidly stable even during encoding. I got a new Monitor 19"inch HP. Here is a list of all the best cards out there for any slim!

Unfortunately these cards are different memory types when they were benchmarked in toms hardware. I wish they all could have been GDDR-2/ or 3. (Missing the 8500GT GDDR-2/ or 3)

------------------
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT = 30W-MAX = 962.Overall FPS
1st PL combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT = 27W-MAX = ? Overall FPS
2nd PLACE combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
ATI HD2600Pro = 31W-MAX = 731.2 Overall FPS
3rd PLACE DDR-3 OR combined with GDDR3/or GDDR2
---
Nvdia Geforce 7600GS = 27W-MAX = 624.7 Overall FPS
---
ATI X1300XT = 28W-MAX = 618.0 Overall FPS

Source http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

The 8400GS draws up to 45W Max output peak. These are to my knowledge the best video cards around. The 8500GT-GDDR2 should be slightly better than even a ATI HD2600Pro GDDR-3.

Well that's odd, according to those numbers Archaea should not have had a problem with the 8600GT.

Well that's odd, according to those numbers Archaea should not have had a problem with the 8600GT.

Well I today I went to a local PC shop, and they said "That the 'MAX Wattage' is very different than the 'Max output peak'" - "A Video card usually has an average wattage in which it operates and this is usually considered it's MAX-Wattage" - "When they are rated and certified by[for example] Underwriters Laboratories [respectively] they are given the stamp of average watt usage and yet sometimes idle watt usage; this to them translates into MAX wattage which of course is not[true]" - "The 8600GT of GDDR3, if one is available in low profile should work normally even for heavy gaming[of it's capacity] and if it comes in GDDR4 then it should save you some more watts" - "Since your power supply is rated at 160W you have to be careful with what you put in it, as for proprietary boards from PC manufactures you should always! Follow there upgrading guidelines" - What happens if I put RAM that’s rated at a different voltage in it? "As far as I know nothing will happen at least not to retail boards. I have however have seen clients that [have] Installed higher or lower rated voltage RAM on to an [HP]OEM board; they come in with high system instability or even with a dead pc" - "Is it possible to upgrade the Power supply?" -I don’t think it's user-end possible "Aright lets move on, I am confident that the 8600GT will work on your system with you 4GB of RAM already installed, in the HP documentation release it says that your board should not exceed 25W on PCIe and PCI slot 5W (25W+5W=30W), after examining your model we found out that you may have a TV tuner installed in you pc is that correct?" -yes " Well I can only assume that the tv tuner card you have installed has a MAX wattage of 5W so incase there is system instability you should remove [tuner card] it" "there are also problems of heat do to the tight space of your case, and this may cause damages to other important components" do you guys have the 8600GT? "No, but if you’d like we can make an order, and just incase if it there is instability we can modify the card for you a nominal charge" -no I don’t want that thanks "or we can give you back your money and you can keep your card[for use with other computers] since your a loyal customer" oh… one last question “sure what is it?” how come on the S330F it has the 8500GT? Yet I have read on some internet forums that it is unstable “Can you show me where you got this information at?” sure “I see… The problem with some of these users is that they seem to mostly have the s3020n which uses a different motherboard than yours” and the S3330F has that same as yours” “Again the problem with OEM proprietary boards is that just because they have an almost equal SKU or form factor that doesn’t mean that they are the same” “for example your motherboard the ‘M2N61-AR’ may have more regulators than the M2NC51-AR or as seen on your motherboard which support up to 4GB and the other one only 2”

^^^ Ah the old pc store, I cant remember all of what he said but he looks like if he knows what he is talking about, he has been doing this for the past 19 Years.

IGNORE ALL GRAMMATICAL ERRORS. I would of forgotten everything he said if I would of corrected my writing.

Thanks for that! Just installed the 8600GT, everything seems to be running fine on full power settings thus far.

My s3020n with 3800+ x2, 2gb ram, and galaxy 8600GT so far has been running fine.
The power supply area of the case gets QUITE hot during 3D gaming (1-3 hour sessions running Everquest2). I don't find the GPU fan to be noticeably loud.

I'm still hoping to try a 4850e 45w processor (2.5 ghz Brisbane) if the damn things ever appear for sale somewhere.

First time poster here ... thank you all for the great information being shared here. I had read early on in the thred that a HP tech support actually referenced this thread which speaks volumes.

Although I’ve skimmed through every single page, I don’t recall seeing anyone “upgrade” to XP. I’ve owned the s3223w for less than a week and I’ve already had enough of Vista. A quick google came up with this person having tried and tracked down a few of the drivers ...

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service...47627+1206542744242+28353475&threadId=1204751

... any leads on any other drivers I might need?

I’ve noticed that the main issue when moving to XP from Vista is losing functionality of onboard wireless. The s3223w didn’t come stock with wireless so I use a Belkin USB wireless adapter.

Anything else I need to consider before the XP install other than having recovery discs at the ready?

Specs to the s3223w: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...59&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548660&lang=en

Allow or deny? :p

Been reading this forum for the last couple of days cause I picked up a 3123w out a local bargain center for $313. Did a ram upgrade to 2Gbs but been looking into graphics cards and i was wondering if anyone has tried the 8600gt Chaintech card that Newegg is carrying for 78.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145153

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3
Be warned that it has 'GDDR2' and '512MB' of video RAM. With GDDR2 you get high heat and more watts will be needed to operate it. With 512MB of RAM you will need more wattage and the card will have a higher MAX output peak. I am not telling you not to buy it. I am just warning you.

DDR3 and GDDR3 use alot less power than GDDR2 and wont produce that much heat and it's faster. I would go with a GDDR3 or a DDR3 with 256MB-MAX. The omjeremy suggested is the one that my PC shop is ordering for me it should arrive on the 28th or 31st.

For what it's worth, I was able to downgrade my s3223w to XP without any hitches (so far) ... audio works, monitor works, wireless, etc etc - all with the same functionality / menus I had when it was the pre-packaged Vista. I've kept a log of where I got the drivers from (not many) if anybody needs it.

I do notice that my USB 2.0 7-port Vakoss hub still does not recognize my HP 1020 laser printer. I thought that was a Vista issue but still persists in XP. It does work when I connect the USB cable directly to the computer. I find this strange only because my Vaio laptop was able to work flawlessly with the printer through the Vakoss and that was on XP also. Any thoughts?

Get it while you can: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205611532&adid=17653&dcaid=17653
Only $339.99 with free shipping. S3200N

As the original thread starter - even though I sold my s3020n - I've missed it....I picked up the S3200N at this price ;)

Thanks for the link

I used a 5% off best buy coupon.

http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074

I'll use it as my HTPC :) in combination with that BE-2400 and 8400GS I still have.

My Quadcore PC I currently have setup will have to remain as my desktop PC. I'm in love with it, but these slimlines are really nice machines for what they are!

comp_u_newb,

Thanks for the heads up I wont try it. I was only going to try cause it was cheaper but if there is a chance it will draw to much or get to hot i am not going to risk it.

Back