The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

swaped out the dvd drive for an LG bluray/hddvd combo drive, removed the tv tuner, added an 8400gs and everything works great. Very happy with my media box that feeds my 720p projector :)

....The 8400gs has a loud fan that runs all the time at 100% and can't be controlled via Riva Tuner or Speedfan. It is noticible when watching TV and movies. I guess I need to get a Fusion USB tuner and replace the current card with a passive cooled one. (more money into the project, probably around $300) I can’t replace the fan card now because there is not enough space with the heatsink card and tv tuner. The small box is what sold me on the system and is also what handicaps it. I am thinking I should have waited for this HP Slimline s3330f PC or sucked it up with a bigger case in the living room.

I had the same problem with my new 8500GT, and like you, I found no software solution that would work. I ended up wiring in a 40 ohm series resistance with the fan. I found the resulting fan speed to be nearly silent and still packing enough cooling capacity to keep my graphics core below 130 deg F. I am running nVidia's Cascades demo or Lost Planet ED DX10 at 30 fps with medium/high settings and high resolution and I hear nothing from my fans. My USB external hard drive makes more noise than my computer - even at full load.

I used AS5 with the factory heat sink and reduced the CPU fan noise by a very noticeable amount. The thermal pad used by HP in this application is inadeaquate for power users IMHO. I discovered this while grinding video from my DV camera with Windows DVD Maker.

What are your WEI scores with that 8400GS?

My WEI scores, before and after the 8500GT:

Processor.............4.9 - 4.9 stock 3800+
Memory................3.9 - 5.9 PC2-4300 5,5,5,12 - Large improvement over stock 1GB.
Desktop Graphics..3.1 - 4.5 <lowest, and therefore overall score
Gaming Graphics..3.0 - 5.2 Huge improvement in FPS.
Disk Performance.5.5 - 5.5 stock 250GB SATA 150

I'm trying to find a way to swap the 250GB HD with something larger without disturbing the Vista license. I've read about all kinds of round abouts that could work but I want something fool-proof. Help me out! I'd hate to explain my case to Bill's Indian connection because I want a larger hard-drive. This was much easier with XP.

It might be better to just get an external hard drive. When on sale they're sometimes cheaper than the bare drives. I bought an external 500GB Maxtor drive for under $100 recently.

The way you can get a larger hard drive is to use another computer (since you can only have one HD in this computer) and a free program like DiscWizard (if you buy a Seagate drive), MaxBlast 5 (if you buy a Maxtor drive), or Data Lifeguard Tools (Western Digital drives) to copy the image of your old HD to the new one. This software is really easy to use. I think you can also use PartitionMagic, but that's not a free program. You would need three drives to do this. One to boot off of (don't boot off of the Vista drive in a new system), the Vista one and the new one. I guess the other way could conceivably do this is by using USB to PATA connector instead. I have no experience with them. I guess you could use the power cable from the DVD burner to power the drive.

I had the same problem with my new 8500GT, and like you, I found no software solution that would work. I ended up wiring in a 40 ohm series resistance with the fan. I found the resulting fan speed to be nearly silent and still packing enough cooling capacity to keep my graphics core below 130 deg F. I am running nVidia's Cascades demo or Lost Planet ED DX10 at 30 fps with medium/high settings and high resolution and I hear nothing from my fans. My USB external hard drive makes more noise than my computer - even at full load.

I used AS5 with the factory heat sink and reduced the CPU fan noise by a very noticeable amount. The thermal pad used by HP in this application is inadeaquate for power users IMHO. I discovered this while grinding video from my DV camera with Windows DVD Maker.

What are your WEI scores with that 8400GS?

My WEI scores, before and after the 8500GT:

Processor.............4.9 - 4.9 stock 3800+
Memory................3.9 - 5.9 PC2-4300 5,5,5,12 - Large improvement over stock 1GB.
Desktop Graphics..3.1 - 4.5 <lowest, and therefore overall score
Gaming Graphics..3.0 - 5.2 Huge improvement in FPS.
Disk Performance.5.5 - 5.5 stock 250GB SATA 150

I'm trying to find a way to swap the 250GB HD with something larger without disturbing the Vista license. I've read about all kinds of round abouts that could work but I want something fool-proof. Help me out! I'd hate to explain my case to Bill's Indian connection because I want a larger hard-drive. This was much easier with XP.

Read the manual that comes with your computer - in it - it describes the process for a one time creation of the reload to factory default vista cds. With it you can reformt the HP multiple times with no problem. I did it at least three times and never had an issue before I sold my slimline.

I ended up wiring in a 40 ohm series resistance with the fan. I found the resulting fan speed to be nearly silent and still packing enough cooling capacity to keep my graphics core below 130 deg F.
I would love to see a picture if you have one. I don't think I have rooom to add anything between the card in the PC-e slot and the tv tuner in the PCI. This sounds like it solves my problem though, if I can wiggle it in.

It definitely is not the power supply as I have upgraded mine. I haven't found the time to try to get with HP tech support yet. It has to be the mobo. There seems to be a problem with our pci-e slots and with the onboard environment monitoring. How can HP tech support say it is the power supply when they offer the 8500gt as an upgrade on the Slimline series? :confused: Also, if you have been through two video cards and had the same problem, then it can't be the video cards or you are really unlucky. I am just venting, good luck with HP.

Well after all of the issues that I was having with trying to get my computer to recognize the 8500GT, HP is finally going to service the computer. I have been working on this issue for the past 4 months. Instead of chatting online with a HP tech agent (which always ended up that the problem was with the lack of power supply), I decided to call them and explain my frustration. I first talked to Tim and he explained that he has had many problems with these slimlines, especially the s3020n. So he was not surprised to hear that I was having problems with it. After telling him I had already done all of his troubleshooting steps, and then doing it again, we left on the note that I needed to try the videocard in a different computer. Well, it worked in a different computer. So I called back and they are going to send me box to have me send the computer in and get it serviced, which will include getting a new mobo, for free under warranty. I will update when I get it back. Another thing Tim mentioned was if I was unhappy with the computer to call HPShop and let them know. He said they may cut a deal for a better computer.

My 8400gs is baking in this setup. I am going to try to load some AS5 on the gpu. 66 degrees C at idle. I think it is just too close to the TV tuner card to breath. Any ideas?

video cards can safely get a lot hotter than CPUs...The throttle point on a cpu is 70* C, the throttle point on an Nvidia card is typically about 120* C if I remember correctly.

your GPU isn't much hotter than it would be in a wide open case...You could probably expect about 10* C cooler in a full tower case with multiple fans.

Sounds like Tim is the man! :D I wonder if I can ask for him. Did you buy yours brand new?

I did buy mine brand new from Staples (I think). I will keep you updated with when I receive the fixed computer back from HP and see if everything works correctly. Hopefully it will.

Give it a shot and call HP. They will probably service it for free. Ask for Tim!!!!!

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to slickdeals and others. 'found this thread on Sat before buying a s3321p Sunday at OD and learned a LOT! Thanks to all the pioneers here, especially Archaea, for the great info. Convinced me to buy it for $400 AR!
As I have not seen them posted here yet, the 3321 specs, OTB are:

CPU 5.2
Memory 5.9
Graphics 3.1
Gaming 3.0
HD 5.8

Please LMK what you think of this LP 1650pro video board for $40 at newegg. Sounds like at 43W its consumption is too high, but its so CHEAP! Nuts.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102716

What's the latest experience w/the Galaxy 8600GT?
Do you think it will work in the 3321 w/ its tv board?
Thanks again to all!

Enjoy,
Mark

Nice find, but I'd be afraid of 43 watts and a PCI card. Then again, this card may use less since it's low profile. I think we're really maxing out the machine with the 30W 8600GT. Since your machine has a 180W PSU, you should be able to use the 8600GT and the TV tuner.

My S3020N has been having issues with the Realtek card for a bit. I have the PC connected to a home theatre. Rear output to the TV and front output sometimes to AV unit for full home theatre use. That aside, I connected the logitech quickcam ultra vision and the system will not recognize the microphone on the camera. I went into the realtek settings several times, trying to disable other microphone inputs and it still wont recognize the camera's mic. I have a second S3020N and connected the unit with no issues whatsoever. Tried to replicate settings and it still comes down to the PC for some reason not recognizing the mic on the quick cam. Could it be a faulty audio card??? I understand the realtek hardware is built into the MB. One last thing, this unit has been upgraded with the XFX 8400GS video card. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Thanks!

I have my s3020n (3800+ x2) running now with 2 gb ram and the low profile galaxy 8600GT.

WEI scores are 4.8 processor
5.5 memory
5.9 graphics
5.5 gaming graphics
5.4 hard disk

I am using 2 x 1 gb of the HP ddr2-667 which is starring in rebate threads on all the hot deal forums. I tried to get it to run with 2 x 1 gb of OCZ ram ... ddr2800, 5-5-5-12 , ELDCGE-K ...
system would post with these but windows would not load.

If and when AMD releases the 2450 X2 (2.5ghz 45 watt Brisbane) I might give that a try.

I have my s3020n (3800+ x2) running now with 2 gb ram and the low profile galaxy 8600GT.

WEI scores are 4.8 processor
5.5 memory
5.9 graphics
5.5 gaming graphics
5.4 hard disk

I am using 2 x 1 gb of the HP ddr2-667 which is starring in rebate threads on all the hot deal forums. I tried to get it to run with 2 x 1 gb of OCZ ram ... ddr2800, 5-5-5-12 , ELDCGE-K ...
system would post with these but windows would not load.

If and when AMD releases the 2450 X2 (2.5ghz 45 watt Brisbane) I might give that a try.

are you able to run on High performance?

Go to the screensaver, go to power
choose High performance and see if games/programs run. I'm curious if you'll crash due to full power use with all components using that 8600GT and the stock processor.

I enabled "high performance" in vista control panel and ran 3Dmark06, my score was 4417. Haven't tried any games yet, system is stable for browsing etc with high performance setting enabled.

Well I have some good news. I have received my computer back from HP service and it works. They replaced the MOBO and now it has no problems with the videocard or any environmental monitoring software. I have ran Sisoft and it works just fine giving me readings.

My s3020n is stock with a MSI Nvidia 8500GT low profile card. Here are my scores:

Processor...............4.8
Memory..................4.5
Graphics.................4.9
Gaming graphics......5.2
Primary hard disk.....5.8

My next upgrade now that I know that it will work is to increase the memory to 2 gigs. Then that is about all I think that I can do with this machine. Even though I would like to upgrade the processor. I do not think that the 160 watts PS will hold.

Hi from the UK!

I have the 3315 uk, with AMD5000+, 320gigHD, 80gig removable drive. 2 gigs of RAM it came with a ATI 2400 pro as standard which wasnt that bad acually, I overclocked it aswell with ATI tool it ran quite good. I have since upgraded to the MSI 8600 GT however and now she flys. It did not come with the low profile brackets as promised in the ad but Komplett say they will source and send me them on.

I have the matching 20inch screen and I can say that this is the best computer I have ever owned. My lowest score for vista is 5.2 I need to update the drivers, even so I have no lag on World in Conflct or Tiberium Wars. I do not plan to go HD DVD right now but it plays my normal DVDs perfect. It has lightscribe drive whatever that is and thats fine for now.

Anyho, Hi from the sunny UK!!!

John

Well I have some good news. I have received my computer back from HP service and it works. They replaced the MOBO and now it has no problems with the videocard or any environmental monitoring software. I have ran Sisoft and it works just fine giving me readings.

My s3020n is stock with a MSI Nvidia 8500GT low profile card. Here are my scores:

Gaming graphics......5.2

My next upgrade now that I know that it will work is to increase the memory to 2 gigs. Then that is about all I think that I can do with this machine. Even though I would like to upgrade the processor. I do not think that the 160 watts PS will hold.

watch for the BE-2450 chip from AMD when it comes out. It's another 45 watt processor that should run at high x2 4800ish speeds.

the BE-2400 is currently the fastest 45 watt chip, and it didn't work in the s3020n when I had mine, but there has been a BIOS release that allows it now. It runs at 2.3Ghz and is a nice little chip for 45 watt.

Unpacked this badboy last night and the first thing the wife said was "it's too small". :eek:

My plans are to upgrade the processor to dual core first and then add the 8600GT. I figured since I have the 180 power supply I should be fine...hopefully.

I went with stock to save a little money initially. It has the Athlon64 LE1620 2.4ghz, upgraded to 2 gigs of ram since it was free and no tv tuner. This will not be used as a htpc, only basic usage and old school gaming ever so often, ex. Age of Empires 3.

Reading through this thread, I see that BE-2400 was the best upgrade to go with and I was so ready to order that today. Now, I'm hearing about the BE-2450 and from what I found it will be 2.5ghz? Can anyone point me in the right direction for more info on this chip and it's possible release date?

Also just for reference, I will post my wei scores and update once I make the upgrades.

Processor...............4.2
Memory..................5.4
Graphics.................3.3
Gaming graphics......3.0
Primary hard disk.....5.4

Thanks!

That is awesome jawa! I have been extremely busy and am afraid I let my 90 day warranty go by, but she is behaving beautifuly right now. I need to dig my receipt out and see.

Gaming graphics......5.2

Hello all:
I have been following this thread for a while, but just recently needed to post. I bought the s3020n about 8 months ago and installed an xfx NV 8400GS vid card to handle HDTV (using this box as an HTPC). All has been running swell for months, and recently I have started to have issues with the computer having trouble syncing with my Samsung DLP TV. Sometimes, usually when I turn off the TV for the evening and come back in the morning (leave the PC on to record), I will turn on the TV and I cannot get the display to come back up. The TV works fine, but I get the "No signal or weak signal" message on m TV. It seems like the computer is responding (I usually can hear system sounds and such).

Has anyone had similar problems? Did anything (including a system restore) fix the problem?

Hello all:
I have been following this thread for a while, but just recently needed to post. I bought the s3020n about 8 months ago and installed an xfx NV 8400GS vid card to handle HDTV (using this box as an HTPC). All has been running swell for months, and recently I have started to have issues with the computer having trouble syncing with my Samsung DLP TV. Sometimes, usually when I turn off the TV for the evening and come back in the morning (leave the PC on to record), I will turn on the TV and I cannot get the display to come back up. The TV works fine, but I get the "No signal or weak signal" message on m TV. It seems like the computer is responding (I usually can hear system sounds and such).

Has anyone had similar problems? Did anything (including a system restore) fix the problem?

I had a similar problem, and a system restore did not work. I think that it is either the motherboard starting to go out, or a problem with Vista. That is what my computer started doing and then it went out altogether. After fixing the motherboard everything appears to be working just fine even after turning off the TV and then turning it back on.

I had a similar problem, and a system restore did not work. I think that it is either the motherboard starting to go out, or a problem with Vista. That is what my computer started doing and then it went out altogether. After fixing the motherboard everything appears to be working just fine even after turning off the TV and then turning it back on.

Sonofa . . . not what I wanted to hear. Well, looks like I might have to RMA this computer. Did they salvage your hard drive? How long ago did you buy it and did they charge you for the repair?

Got the BE-2400 today and can confirm that it's working correctly!!! I did not have to upgrade my BIOS since this was the newest model.....I assume.

My updated WEI scores.

Processor...............4.2 -> 4.9
Memory..................5.4 -> 5.9
Graphics.................3.3 no change
Gaming graphics......3.0 no change
Primary hard disk.....5.4 no change

I read a few pages back someone mentioning AS5 and its wonders. Well I just wanted to add my 2 cents to that as well. Before the upgrade today I say the average temp was 25-30c at idle. Now I'm getting from 10-16c!!
CoreTemp.jpg

One more upgrade and I'm done. Will be looking for a 8600gt, possibly a passive cool unit, so noise can be kept at a minimum.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread; you've helped me make a good decision with this purchase. :cool:

For all of those using this computer as an HTPC and upgrading the video, you all might want to consider ATi's new 3450. It is a low-pro card that fully offloads h.264 and VC-1 decoding, meaning your cpu sits at about 10% use while playing HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays. It is also passively cooled, which is a big plus, and I have yet to find a passively-cooled 8600gt. The 3450 is NOT a gaming card, but should fit in a HT system nicely. Newegg has em, and there is a thread (or two) over at avsforum about them.

After installing my MSI 8600 GT into the 3315 I must admit I have had no problems, no crashes or BSOD's.... but I must admit I cant help noticing that the very top of the case is a good deal hotter than it was before. Am I killing my PSU? should I replace the Nvidia with a 3450 or summit, I'm not putting the 2400 pro back in. Please reply teccys, I dont want to kill my new PC.

a little heat won't kill your computer...The components in the slimline are made to handle extra heat due to expected increased heat generation/lack of disapation. I really wouldn't worry about it.

OOO thank you for the prompt reply. I hope this the fact. What proggys can I download to monitor GPU CPU temps etc???

Sonofa . . . not what I wanted to hear. Well, looks like I might have to RMA this computer. Did they salvage your hard drive? How long ago did you buy it and did they charge you for the repair?

I bought mine at staples back in may of last year. Just a couple of weeks ago, I finally convinced HP that it was a problem and got them to repair it for free because of the 1 year warrenty. They did not have to reformat anything and I got the same computer back but with a new MOBO. It was pretty painless, aside from the fact that I was without a computer for 2 weeks. Sorry for the bad news.

OOO thank you for the prompt reply. I hope this the fact. What proggys can I download to monitor GPU CPU temps etc???

I found the monitoring tools to not be very accurate and others have as well with these particular machines.

But that being aside you can get programs like

SiSoft Sandra
Everest

to give you static point in time measurements.

I can pretty much assure you that if you aren't in a 95* room with a heater blowing on your PC you aren't going to be able to hurt the PC by having an 8600GT in the case. Your computer will be running WAY below danger levels for the hardware.

I found the monitoring tools to not be very accurate and others have as well with these particular machines.

But that being aside you can get programs like

SiSoft Sandra
Everest

to give you static point in time measurements.

I can pretty much assure you that if you aren't in a 95* room with a heater blowing on your PC you aren't going to be able to hurt the PC by having an 8600GT in the case. Your computer will be running WAY below danger levels for the hardware.

Thanks lol, I'm not in the hot house. I worry too much Its my first Desktop for ages... Ive been gaming for 4 hours straight and my systems rockin & rollin. :cool:

Thanks so much for the info, Jawa! I will look into sending it back. In the meantime, I will do more testing. After reading the thread, it looks like you and mrcosmos had the same issues. Did you ever try the built-in VGA? Did it behave similarly to the pci-e vid card output? mrcosmos said he noticed no programs could detect the mobo environmental monitoring, did you have that problem as well?

Thanks so much for the info, Jawa! I will look into sending it back. In the meantime, I will do more testing. After reading the thread, it looks like you and mrcosmos had the same issues. Did you ever try the built-in VGA? Did it behave similarly to the pci-e vid card output? mrcosmos said he noticed no programs could detect the mobo environmental monitoring, did you have that problem as well?

Yea my onboard VGA and V-card has always worked just fine. Unfortunately it is so crappy that it does not show up well on a 32" TV. I too was never able to get anything with my environmental monitoring. I never tried when everything was dandy, but once everything started to go haywire, I was not able to get any monitoring on the MOBO. But now after they replaced the MOBO, it works just fine. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

I must have spoke too soon. Now my computer does not boot up at all. It is almost like the processor, hard drive, or motherboard does not work. It does not work with videocard in the computer or without it in the pci-express slot and just running on the onboard videocard. The power light turns on but that is it. The orange light on the front that shows the Hard Drive running does not turn on at all. I think that it might be offically dead.

The problem started when I put it in hibernate mode yesterday and turned off the TV and went to school. When I came back and moved the mouse nothing happened. So I tapped the keyboard and nothing happened. So I pushed the power button and nothing happened. I then powered it down and you guessed it, it did not power back up. So what am I to do now? I purged the power supply, nothing. I removed the RAM and tried it again and nothing. Both of those knowing that I would be contacting HP to have the resolve the issue.

I contacted HP and got their stupid basic tech support people asking me if I had plugged in the video cable and the power cord. They then asked me to do the steps I had just done, explaining to them them that it still does not work. The girl then just wants me to send in the computer AGAIN for service, thinking that the MOBO is dead. So I ask to talk to her manager and she connects me to her Senior Technician (another "Technician" that barely speaks english). He does the same thing saying that he can send out a box to have me send the computer back in to get repairs done. I told him that I not what I wanted to talk about and how I have now gone through 2 motherboards. I told him that I wanted some compensation and a sure resolution. He said that he is going to have his management contact me on Monday and that I can talk to them about some options.

Well needless to say I am pretty pissed off right now, and I had to let it out. Sorry. I am going to try to get them to refund this computer or upgrade me to a better system. We will see what arsenal they come with to please the customer!!!! Who am I kidding?!?!?! They do not care about me or that I am without a computer.

Holy Crap. That sucks. Good luck with your negotiations with HP. I am about to enter the same phase, it seems.

n/m - answered my own question by looking back over the thread.

Back