The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

bah.. yea I was going to do it. I didn't understand the email correctly and had emailed ubid to clarify what my options were. In the process ubid gave me a bit of information. Get this: Ubid says HP says the hardware price difference between these two products (hd/dvd/bluray drive, 5400+,graphics card) is only a 75$ difference. :eek:

Anyway, like I said I mis-understood their email and got in contact with them. They gave me the option of 75$ credit on my card or a return on the product. I took the credit. So all in all I got the computer for 325$ Then spend 53$ on a video card. (which should be coming today ;) ) Not too bad of a deal. :)

Now I can go take the computer out of it's packaging (got it today) and start setting it up.

For future readers of this thread (and it might be good to put it in the OP) the hardware specs (for the time being) on Ubid should be cross-checked against what the HP website says for the model of computer that is being bid on. I took a look at a lot of the auctions and quite a few have the wrong specs.

Agreed. The UBID site isn't that specific.

FWIW - I just got a refurb s3200t with a dual core E4500, 2 gigs of ram, lightscribe DVD and a 160GB HD for around $200 shipped. Unfortunately the model I got doesn't have WiFi, so I'll probably just use the extra PCI slot for a b/g card.

I, too, am trying to get one of the Galaxy 8600GT cards - but the company site says they are not available now. Of course, they DO have a rebate offer now - IF you can find them...

If anyone can suggest another card that's low profile, does hardware HD decoding, and is HDCP compliant - please, let me know.

SF

The slimlines will play WOW or Everquest even with a base configuration of the 6150 video card at lower quality settings. It will play WOW or Everquest at max settings and a smooth frame-rate with the 8600GT card on any display/any resolution, and play WOW or Everquest at max settings and smooth frame rate at say a 22" widescreen or less (typical native resolution) with an 8400GS, or 8500GT.

Really the limitation is all the video card --- processor doesn't matter much on those games and the dual core processors in the slimlines are far more than capable to play those games. Basically look up reviews on the different video card options available against the games you want and there's your answer.

Thanks for reply,I am really considering pickin one of these up!

Ok so the recent talk about heat has got me thinking again of replacing the stock CPU fan.

I assume it's not as simple as picking out any AM2 socket fan. What are other considerations aside from the obvious size constraints? And speaking of which, what are the size limitations for an AM2 fan for the slimline?

I know for a fact that I can play WoW & EQ2 fine in high res w/o any problems. I have the Galaxy 8600gt and upgraded to the max on my Intel based Slimline S3100 series. Even with on board I was getting decent frames on MMOs @ 1024x768. Hope that helps

I know for a fact that I can play WoW & EQ2 fine in high res w/o any problems. I have the Galaxy 8600gt and upgraded to the max on my Intel based Slimline S3100 series. Even with on board I was getting decent frames on MMOs @ 1024x768. Hope that helps

So it's safe to say even with the "original" graphics card,they are still capable of playing EQ and WOW,not bad :)

Mustangguy --- ^ the onboard 6150 graphics card is a pretty barebones solution. I would not want to use it to play games personally. It will only work in games at pretty low resolutions at any high quality setting.

The Ronin --- I strongly recommend you use caution when replacing or "upgrading" the slimline's CPU heatsink. I think in most cases you'll actually be hurting the cooling potential. If you buy a new heatsink for instance that blows down over the chip - the rest of the case internals in the slimline chasis will get much hotter because the fan won't be exhausting the CPU heat out the rear vents like it is now. We addressed this issue a couple pages back. The CPU and GPU are the two components that can tolerate the most heat successfully. You'd rather have them get hot than the Motherboard, CPU, hard-drive etc.

and as to the discussion regarding the 80*F room causing a slimline lockup...

no --- that should not cause the lockup. The problem is elsewhere. The slimline should be designed to not lock up in 100* ambient temps. If you are overheating at 80*F your PSU is probably getting too hot and overloading.

Archaea,

Yeah thats what I figured,but I figured I'd ask about the cards capability anyways ;)

If someone with a 3220n or similar can post what videocard they're using in conjuction tv tuner for HD content I'd really appreciate it.

I upgraded to the 2400pro and it's still not powerful enough. Still get a studder here and there. WM Center menus still are a bit slow initially. I don't want to upgrade too high after reading on other forums of people melting their tv tuner by installing too hot of a card.

Anyone have experiences with a Radeon 3450 or 8500/8600gt in the slimline with the tv tuner installed/

^ I have the 8500GT + TV tuner in the PCI slot on my AMD based s3200n. I only run at 720p because I don't have a 1080p outputing device, but I notice no slowdowns at 720p.

No problems thus far. It is in use as my hometheatre PC.

If someone with a 3220n or similar can post what videocard they're using in conjuction tv tuner for HD content I'd really appreciate it.

I upgraded to the 2400pro and it's still not powerful enough. Still get a studder here and there. WM Center menus still are a bit slow initially. I don't want to upgrade too high after reading on other forums of people melting their tv tuner by installing too hot of a card.

Anyone have experiences with a Radeon 3450 or 8500/8600gt in the slimline with the tv tuner installed/

I think you would run into an issue of power consumption. I just pick up a Radeon 3450. but that all i have upgraded. :p it does come with a HDMI output, so now i need to go get a cable and test it out.

it rated for a system running 300 wat, but i saw a test where at max power, it was running around 178 at full load.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1303/19/page_19_power_consumption_tests/index.html

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5495789?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I pick this up at my local frys,, it was actually on sale for 64.99 with another 25 rebate, so for 45 dollars, it was a worth wild card to tose in.

"I just pick up a Radeon 3450. but that all i have upgraded."

Does it come with low profile brackets? I havent seen any place selling them with a HDMI slot.

I did read a couple good reviews of it playing 1080p though.

"I just pick up a Radeon 3450. but that all i have upgraded."

Does it come with low profile brackets? I havent seen any place selling them with a HDMI slot.

I did read a couple good reviews of it playing 1080p though.

Unfortunately NO. I spent a good hour, searching, i didn't find one. I will try to email the company that makes the card later. and i believe leadtek makes a low-profile bracket for one of their cards that have HDMI. I had to make a quick bracket with out the HDMI out of the blank bracket and a dremal.

I also check out newegg,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103055
this is the exact card i got, roughly the same price. There is a little room left for a TV card, and the fan is silent.

Here my scores
Before Radeon 3450
After Radeon 3450

This isn't as nice of a score of some of the Geforce 8600 i have seen, but I put together a decent HTPC for the living room with this card and find a Geforce 8600 when i can. :)

Is a bracket really required to keep the card in? I'll have to toy with that.

I'd really like to go with this leadtek 8500gt, but still don't have enough evidence it will run in my system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122037

In the meantime I'm leaning towards this 3450. I read some positive reviews of it handling 1080p playback good enough. I have a DVI -> HDMI adapter and this card is DVI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131083

yes, the bracket is required if you want it to not move around. but if you never move your computer, it should be fine till something comes around. i was messing with it a lil, and the vid card pop right out very easily.

one thing to note is that 3450 card from powercolor might not fit. it has a slightly oversize headsink. so that might hit your TV card, which isnt what you want. i am bias toward my card, i rather have a fan on it, then have it passively cool. who knows how hot that area can get with a TV card. The 3450 i got from Diamond, leaves VERY little room for the PCI slot. i do have an old ATI AIW PCI card laying around, maybe i should pop it in and see how fast my computer takes a dive. :p

Ok, you convinced me. I'll put my order in tonight for the 3450. My last question for you is how silent / loud is the card?

Until I find an HDMI bracket I'll use my DVI -> HDMI converter. (edit: cripes, I'm finding there's actually different DVI->HDMI converters used between the 2xxx and 3xxx series. I think it only affects audio though. Just a FYI for all of you.)

It's currently in stock, if anyone is interested. I decided to go with an EVGA 8400GS instead. After a $10 rebate and $10 off using Google Checkout at Buy.com the 8400 was only $24 with free shipping.

Get 'em while they're - um - HOT!

SF

Personally I'm getting a little tired of this graphics card unavailability lately. It just not worth everything to go through to get one knowing the GeForce 9's are out now, which I hope come to low profile form soon. Then there will be plenty of them. I had finally got my hands on a Chaintech 8600GT, but to go that mini step further to a Galaxy is simply not worth it.

Ok, you convinced me. I'll put my order in tonight for the 3450. My last question for you is how silent / loud is the card?

Until I find an HDMI bracket I'll use my DVI -> HDMI converter. (edit: cripes, I'm finding there's actually different DVI->HDMI converters used between the 2xxx and 3xxx series. I think it only affects audio though. Just a FYI for all of you.)

I dont hear the fan at all. I hear the HD on my NAS system more then i hear stuff coming from my slimline.

I am having some issue with the card, but i think it has to do more with my TV which i am using as my monitor more then the card, since even with the default VGA, i still have issue, going to pick up a HDMI cable and going to see if that fixes it.

I ordered it tonight. I added the HDMI adapter for the 3xxx series just incase. Bummed that a LP bracket with HDMI is near impossible to find.

I ordered it tonight. I added the HDMI adapter for the 3xxx series just incase. Bummed that a LP bracket with HDMI is near impossible to find.

You can order one from MSI support 626-581-3001 from 8:30 AM till 5:30 Pm PST.

Took about 4 days to get it. It was around $6-$8 shipped.

You can order one from MSI support 626-581-3001 from 8:30 AM till 5:30 Pm PST.

Took about 4 days to get it. It was around $6-$8 shipped.

are you talking about the bracket with the HDMI and DVI slots on it? If so, i will call them later this weekend after my finals...:)

are you talking about the bracket with the HDMI and DVI slots on it? If so, i will call them later this weekend after my finals...:)

Yes, they make it for their MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH GeForce 8500GT card. But it is a low profile bracket for HDMI and DVI, so it should work with any other card that needs it.

Can someone recommend pc6400 memory that works with the slimline s3220n (it comes with samsung pc 5300

since I tried two different pairs of OCZ Gold Edition the bios would detect it but I would get the blue screen of death when starting up vista I guess it's a voltage issue

also can I add 4gb?

Also I have an extra EVGA 8500gt card laying around do you guys it would be stable?

Can someone recommend pc6400 memory that works with the slimline s3220n (it comes with samsung pc 5300

since I tried two different pairs of OCZ Gold Edition the bios would detect it but I would get the blue screen of death when starting up vista I guess it's a voltage issue

also can I add 4gb?

Also I have an extra EVGA 8500gt card laying around do you guys it would be stable?
issue might be that they need to be 1.8v. i know a few people using A-Data to work fine, i been looking for a pair of decent price 1.8v for a while. i found one, but the heatsink would allow the ram to fit. :(

2x2GB PC6400 DDR2 A-Data here with neato mosquisto "heat spreaders" on Vista Home Prem. Of course only ~3.5 is being recognized but otherwise all is just dandy. :D

I found out it was the fan in my Sparkle psu that was making all the noise and the fan died. While trying to figure out what fan was running so fast, I tried to stick my thumb on the center of the heat sink fan, but missed and stuck my thumb right in it breaking off one of the blades. So I ordered a new fan and after installing it, I noticed that when I plugged everything back in that fan for the psu wasn't spinning and that there was the faint smell of cooked electronics. Everything booted up just fine, but I shut her down quickly when I smelled that. The fan has been coming on more and more frequently and at times it would run for hours.

If I could improve the air flow, I think that would make a huge difference. Because of the nature of the conversion you can see that there is little space in front of the fan.

interior.jpg

If I didn't follow the conversion to the letter I think I could eliminate 90% of the wire in front of the psu. I wonder if drilling holes in the top would help any. I will have to take everything apart again so I will try to get some more detailed pictures then.

I found out it was the fan in my Sparkle psu that was making all the noise and the fan died. While trying to figure out what fan was running so fast, I tried to stick my thumb on the center of the heat sink fan, but missed and stuck my thumb right in it breaking off one of the blades.

Next time try it sober :)

So I ordered a new fan and after installing it, I noticed that when I plugged everything back in that fan for the psu wasn't spinning and that there was the faint smell of cooked electronics. Everything booted up just fine, but I shut her down quickly when I smelled that. The fan has been coming on more and more frequently and at times it would run for hours.

We have roughly a thousand Dell SFF (small form factors) where I work. Power supplies go all the time. I'd say at least 35% of them that are running now have a bad PSU fan. So it's probably safe to run until you get it replaced.

u can use to a phenom but power become an issue, i been waiting for the 9100e phenom to come out, that comes on a slimline that HP produces. But currently i think it was a 5000+ or a 5200+

I refuted HP's reply to my inquiry about supported cpu's and received this in reply:

"Thank you for writing back.

I apologize for the incorrect information provided in previous e-mail.

George, I have once again verified in our database and found that the information you have mentioned in this e-mail is correct for the M2NC51-AR motherboard and is supported by all AMD 65 watt dual core processors.

However, Hp has not yet released any BIOS updated which will help in updating the CPU table to recognize the the newly released Brisbane 45 watt CPU's.

I have also checked for latest BIOS updates which will add support for new CPUs, and wish to inform you that the HP has not yet released new version of BIOS updates. The only available BIOS update that you have already updated which was release in 13-09-02007 with Version: 5.06."

No mention of whether or not it is on their "to do" list.

Zauber, there is now a Bios Version 5.07 at HP's site. It doesn't mention anything about making it work with the 45 watt chips, but I would like to know if it works.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-60274-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3440586&os=2093&lang=en

Unfortunately, I had to send my HP back for a motherboard replacement. I suddenly got a BIOS BAD CHECKSUM error on boot, and clearing the BIOS didn't resolve it. At least HP is paying the shipping, etc.

Hopefully I'll be back up and running in a week or so ;(

u can use to a phenom but power become an issue, i been waiting for the 9100e phenom to come out, that comes on a slimline that HP produces. But currently i think it was a 5000+ or a 5200+

I think AMD has released a 5400+ and 5600+ now that is 65 watt as well.

Personally I woud look for 45 watt chip if you want an upgraded graphics card just to ensure there is headroom on the power supply.

I think AMD has released a 5400+ and 5600+ now that is 65 watt as well.

Personally I woud look for 45 watt chip if you want an upgraded graphics card just to ensure there is headroom on the power supply.

contrary to your suggestion, Im running a 65w 5000+ processor and a galaxy 8600gt.. not one power failure, I once even left it on all night accidentally but it was fully functional and cool.. also this is the 160w PSU here!

Hi guys, I got bad news about the new 5600+ my pc reads it as a 5600+ 2800 MHz F3 Windsor. I turn it on and stays on the hp logo screen then it just starts a restarting loop. So I can say that my bios doesn't support the new procs as of yet. But these bios do support 45w chips just not the new most recent ones... hopefully they will release a new BIOS.

BTW - a previous poster noted that NewEgg provides the same or similar HD-Blu-Ray(player)-Multi drive on their website for about $180 (not quite $250, but pretty good nonetheless).

I picked up the same drive Newegg carries, the LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD drive, on eBay for $155 shipped from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/destrellamobile22. He doesn't have any for sale right now but runs them periodically. The drive works just fine but be aware that it is about 1" longer than the original Lightscribe DVD drive that came with my s3200t so it sits back even more over the memory chips.

..However, the description on the auction has always been accurate that I've seen or heard about.

I received this email from uBid customer support about an auction I'm bidding on:
Dear uBid Customer,

We have recently been made aware of some problems regarding the auction id (omitted for my privacy) in which you have been participating. There were a few things advertised incorrectly such as a TV tuner and remote. The information has been corrected and is showing correctly on the website.

We regret any inconvenience this has caused you. As you know, it is our mission to be the #1 trusted online business-to-consumer marketplace. We hope to earn your trust so that you will continue to shop uBid for a variety of quality products.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Care Department at 866/ 946- 8243.

So mistakes do happen, sometimes they catch them during the auction, sometimes you have to catch them when you receive the item. Recently returned a laptop because they overstated the screen resolution. Betting a fair number of purchasers wouldn't have even noticed...

Any thoughts or experiences with the new Phenom X3's on this system? It doesn't seem as if AMD has released any information on anything less than 95W variants. Also, how about the Phenom X4, namely the 9100e which is apparently 65W. Any thoughts?

In addition, any recent consensus on the "best" compatible video card (with either a 65W or 45W CPU)? Are we looking at the GeForce 8500/8600gt or ATI Radeon 3450? Has anyone tried anything else? How's the noise with the additional fans?

Back