The GTS 260 192 is so big!

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
Are all video cards this big now?

I just moved from an 8800 320 to a GTX 260 that I picked up cheap and the thing is a monster, it just barely fits in my case, stretching from one side of it to where the hard drives go.

dscn7439.jpg

Is everything new coming out as big as this thing? I'm going to need a larger case if they get any longer.

that's what she said

And yes, 10.5" seems to be the standard for high end cards with the exception of ATI's 5870 (11") and 5970 (12")

10.5" is the new unofficial standard for the last few rounds of tup of the line cards although the ATI 5970 pushed it out to 12 inches recently.

My current card forced me to make some changes with my new case. But it's all good, I get better airflow. But yeah, cards have reached the max length as far as I'm concerned. Any bigger than what I have now will not cut it. Or fit. ;)

I just hope that in the next 3 generations, cards do not get any longer than 14.5" or I'll be force to change my cheap POS case.

the 5770's are actually quite a bit shorter and on par performance wise compared to that gtx260. How much did u pay for it?

tell me about it, I had to take out my HD cage just to fit these newer cards. I have 3 hard drives just sitting on top of each other inside the floppy drive bay. :(

I feel your pain. I have a mozart TX. The cards are getting to the point of being a problem for me too. I might be able to fit an 11" card in normally, and might be able to fit a 12" by pulling the front fans; anything larger would be impossible. I really like the amount of room it has and the cutouts all around the mobo tray allow be to do all my cable routing from behind so it doesn't block airflow. If GPUs outgrow the case the only thing remotely similar are mountain mods cases which are closer to being cubical and have an IMO much less polished appearance to them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Enthusiast cards are meant to go with enthusiast systems in enthusiast cases? My HAF 932 has plenty of room for a 12" card without pulling anything out :)

the 5770's are actually quite a bit shorter and on par performance wise compared to that gtx260. How much did u pay for it?

Yeah the 5770 is not nearly as long but as aforementioned a 10.5" card will fit most modern mid tower cases

I got a 9800GTX in my Antec Super Lanboy case (along with 10 hard drives).
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I got a 9800GTX in my Antec Super Lanboy case (along with 10 hard drives).
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

That's damn great for you.:D
My junker required me to move all hds upward.Of course that's what happen when your cheap.

That's damn great for you.:D
My junker required me to move all hds upward.Of course that's what happen when your cheap.

Its now a load bearing part of the case. Keeps the bottom hdd cage in place.

speaker_pcix_09.jpg

Yeah the 5770 is not nearly as long but as aforementioned a 10.5" card will fit most modern mid tower cases

$130. I had a 5770 ordered for $120 but decided I didn't want to to the ATI route. Felt like sticking with Nvidia for really no good reason other than I heard that once Batman AA wasn't playable on ATI hardware.

Enthusiast cards are meant to go with enthusiast systems in enthusiast cases? My HAF 932 has plenty of room for a 12" card without pulling anything out :)

I have a Coolermaster Centurion case so it's not like I am sticking this in a Gateway box, at these sizes all of the cases of the past are going to get too small.

Its now a load bearing part of the case. Keeps the bottom hdd cage in place.

snip

Yes! Super Lanboy is a great case and yea, the only downside is its pretty tight for length space.
I have the same case and a 8800GTS 512 and its pretty tight too.
You're lucky that 9800GTX's power adapters are on the side of the card.

But I think most mid ATX cases nowadays can fit a 10.5in card

Bought a Cooler Master ATCS 840 case so I don't have to worry about components not fitting. :D

Oh, and OP, clean them damn dirty fans! :p :)

I feel your pain. I have a mozart TX. The cards are getting to the point of being a problem for me too. I might be able to fit an 11" card in normally, and might be able to fit a 12" by pulling the front fans; anything larger would be impossible. I really like the amount of room it has and the cutouts all around the mobo tray allow be to do all my cable routing from behind so it doesn't block airflow. If GPUs outgrow the case the only thing remotely similar are mountain mods cases which are closer to being cubical and have an IMO much less polished appearance to them.
The video cards really can't get larger than the 5970. It is pushing the limits of the PCI/PCIe length spec.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back