The Game Awards' 2023 GOTY Nominations

polonyc2

Fully [H]
the nominees were announced a few hours ago...who's your favorite?

Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Lies of P

Though RE4 was pretty good, haven't played Baldur's Gate 3 yet, waiting for a sale.

The Dorito Pope has ordained his eighth tenth annual sermon.

1699901812873.png

Last edited:
RE4, Mario and Zelda don't belong on the list. Neither does Spiderman really. BG3 should win hands down. I didn't play Alan Wake 2 so can't comment.

I don't like these awards shows. It's often whoever "sponsors" the most money to the show, and at best it's just a subjective opinion from a game journalist or an online vote.

There are actual measurable things we could determine a winner by: money made by the game, number of copies sold, player counts, etc.

IMO the winner should be the game with the most play time.

Also lol at a remake making GOTY.

I think major expansions should also be included in GOTY discussion...Phantom Liberty, the upcoming Shadow of the Erdtree expansion for Elden Ring (2024)

Best Game Direction

Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Best Narrative

Alan Wake 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Final Fantasy XVI
Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Best Art Direction

Alan Wake 2
Hi-Fi Rush
Lies of P
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Best Score and Music

Alan Wake 2, composer Petri Alanko
Baldur's Gate 3, composer Borislav Slavov
Final Fantasy XVI, composer Masayoshi Soken
Hi-Fi Rush, audio director Shuichi Kobori
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, composed by Nintendo Sound Team

Best Audio Design

Alan Wake 2
Dead Space
Hi-Fi Rush
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4

Best Performance

Ben Starr, Final Fantasy XVI
Cameron Monaghan, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Idris Elba, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
Melanie Liburd, Alan Wake 2
Neil Newbon, Baldur's Gate 3
Yuri Lowenthal, Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Games for Impact

A Space for the Unbound
Chants of Sennaar
Goodbye Volcano High
Tchia
Terra Nil
Venba

Best Ongoing

Apex Legends
Cyberpunk 2077
Final Fantasy XIV
Fortnite
Genshin Impact

Best Community Support

Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny 2
Final Fantasy XIV
No Man's Sky

Best Independent Game

Cocoon
Dave the Diver
Dredge
Sea of Stars
Viewfinder

Best Debut Indie Game

Cocoon
Dredge
Pizza Tower
Venba
Viewfinder

Innovation in Accessibility

Diablo IV
Forza Motorsport
Hi-Fi Rush
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Mortal Kombat 1
Street Fighter 6

Best Mobile Game

Final Fantasy VII: Ever Crisis
Honkai: Star Rail
Hello Kitty Island Adventure
Monster Hunter Now
Terra Nil

Best VR/AR Game

Gran Turismo 7
Humanity
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Resident Evil Village VR Mode
Synapse

Best Action Game

Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon
Dead Island 2
Ghostrunner 2
Hi-Fi Rush
Remnant 2

Best Action/Adventure Game

Alan Wake 2
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Best RPG

Baldur’s Gate 3
Final Fantasy XVI
Lies of P
Sea of Stars
Starfield

Best Fighting Game

God of Rock
Mortal Kombat 1
Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2
Pocket Bravery
Street Fighter 6

Best Family Game

Disney Illusion Island
Party Animals
Pikmin 4
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Best Sim/Strategy Game

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
Cities: Skylines II
Company of Heroes 3
Fire Emblem Engage
Pikmin 4

Best Sports/Racing

EA Sports FC 24
F1 23
Forza Motorsport
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged
The Crew Motorfest

Best Multiplayer

Baldur’s Gate 3
Diablo IV
Party Animals
Street Fighter 6
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Most Anticipated Game

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Hades II
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Star Wars Outlaws
Tekken 8

Spider Man 2 should win at least a few awards.
I really liked Street Fighter 6 as well.
Legend of Zelda should also win something.

I wouldn’t give a single award to Alan Wake 2 though.

I would have said more about BG3 but haven’t played it yet.

Still have almost two full months of the year left. Most of us haven't had a chance to play many of these new games yet. That being said, I only played RE4 Remake as of now. I enjoyed it, but it is nowhere near game of the year. I honestly find the choices to be very underwhelming. I also enjoyed Spider Man and Miles Morales. But Spider Man 2 would need to be a lot better than those to be worthy of some GOTY title. Alan Wake 2 looks interesting but again, I doubt it is such a revolutionary title to be worthy of GOTY.

Maybe this was a bad year, but generally when I think "GOTY" I think of something that will be remembered and referenced years from now. And not a single one of those games looks to be anything like that.

Best Action/Adventure Game

Alan Wake 2
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Resident Evil 4
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Best RPG

Baldur’s Gate 3
Final Fantasy XVI
Lies of P
Sea of Stars
Starfield

no Lords of the Fallen (2023) nomination in the Action or RPG category?

the Dorito Pope must be kept safe!

The Game Awards will beef up security to prevent stage-crashers this year

Last year's stage-crasher was a bizarre prankster—he thanked his "Reformed Orthodox rabbi Bill Clinton" for the win—but ultimately harmless...a similar disturbance interrupted Gamescom Opening Night Live in August when two attendees rushed the stage and spoke into Keighley's microphone "Bill Clinton wants to play GTA 6," an apparent nod to the Game Awards stage-crasher...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-game-aw...thats-top-of-mind-for-us-geoff-keighley-says/

BG3 in all categories and it wasn't even close. I actually really liked hogwarts legacy as well.

Best Community Support

Destiny 2
This is hilarious given most of the community support was laid off and Bungie has burned most of the good will its earned with its playerbase and its been bleeding players for the last two years at an alarming rate.
Best RPG

Starfield
As much as I like Starfield, I don't think it has any business being on this list. As an RPG, the game feels like its about two decades out of date.

I know I said this already, but I think awards like this are stupid. They're picking winners based on the opinions of people going to their website and clicking a button for free.

IMO the real winners are chosen by people voting with their wallets by buying the games, and voting with their time by playing them. Time and money.

A bit like the CEO of Fox said when Avatar did not win best picture, it won't Bank of America award of the year.

Obviously commercial success trump everything, but that why those awards make sense (to not look at sales too much, they do a lot, usually all the candidates are big sellers and the 10,000 games that did not do well are rarely picked for them), because there more to be game of the year than sales numbers.

According to wikipedia the public vote is only 10% of the score, 90% is from a jury, on that one.

A lottery addictive free to play/pay to win pushing coin smartphone game could be the most played with the largest people voting with their wallet revenues, it does not mean it would be bad for an other game to be considered the GOTY among people that make games, if a group of their peers want to give it to another game with other criteria, that seem perfectly fine and not stupid.

If the video game media want to give one, like this one, fine. Of if the member of this message board want to vote and say game of the year is an whole different one it is not stupid either or an issue if they pick with their subjective quality criteria over pure popularity, would they give the award to a game that just the top of an already made list of say steam sales, what does the award add ? people can too just look at that list as well.

Last edited:
Would you rather watch the Academy Awards, Grammys, or Oscars? Pretty soon all of those awards will go go straight to Jensen and his Nvidia Ai developers.

I know I said this already, but I think awards like this are stupid. They're picking winners based on the opinions of people going to their website and clicking a button for free.

IMO the real winners are chosen by people voting with their wallets by buying the games, and voting with their time by playing them. Time and money.

the nominees and eventual winners are all the best selling games of the year- Spider-Man 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Tears of the Kingdom etc...so the opinions of the jury matches up perfectly with the gaming public...it's not like Starfield is going to win GOTY

the nominees and eventual winners are all the best selling games of the year- Spider-Man 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Tears of the Kingdom etc...so the opinions of the jury matches up perfectly with the gaming public...it's not like Starfield is going to win GOTY
Baldurs Gate 3 isn't even in the top 20 of best selling games this year. If GOTY was based on sales the nominees would be nothing but sports games and Call of Duty.

Baldurs Gate 3 isn't even in the top 20 of best selling games this year. If GOTY was based on sales the nominees would be nothing but sports games and Call of Duty.
top five, at the moment. no sports but youre right about call 'o doodie (list might be old...)
  • Hogwarts Legacy– Warner Bros. Games | Xbox, PC, PlayStation
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom– Nintendo | Nintendo Switch
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) – Activision Blizzard | Xbox, PC, PlayStation
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake

I like reading these lists...especially seeing some games I never heard of, some overrated ones and others which deserve a spot in the Top 10...in a mild upset Tears of the Kingdom beat out Baldur's Gate 3 for the #1 slot...maybe a sign of things to come at the Game Awards

no way should Jedi: Survivor be ranked so low (#32)...it deserves a place in the Top 10 in every Best of Game list for 2023...Lies of P also deserves better than #49

The 50 best video games of 2023

https://www.polygon.com/23648669/best-video-games-2023

Last edited:
Nintendo must sponcer the game awards I'm waiting for the next Nintendo System that actually has some horsepower.
The Nintendo Wii was the last system I picked up way back in 2006 fun system actually. The Wii U too confusing under powered along with the
Nintendo Switch which is basically a Handheld system so the Graphics look better because the screen is smaller.

I would vote for Warhammer Darktide but it came out in November of last year so not sure where it would fit in.

Spider-Man 2 is that good?
I haven't played it but I was burned by Spider-Man 1 when they released it on PC and SM2 looks identical so I don't believe it. SM1 was wholly mid and felt like the typical open world game that Ubisoft would shit out.

Back