The Flow

Pegesus

Limp Gawd
Please let me know if i have the correct thought process for water cooling a CPU and dual GPU's

For water cooling this is the order i would connect everything:

Radiator to the Reservoir. From Res to say a Y-adapter/F-adapter to the GPU. From the GPU to another Y-adapter/F-adapter and GPU. From the GPU to the CPU Block. From the CPU block back to the Radiator.

Anyone..

I am just trying to figure out if the flow pattern i have above is correct. Or if anyone can just tell me what i will need to cool adequately an FX60 and dual 7950's. I have all the parts ready to be order except fittings and tubing i just need to know if my flow pattern is correct or if i am mistaken.

Thanks

Check out this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1197508

There is debate over running parallel GPUs. From what I've gathered, in a purely theoretical form, you will evenly divide the flow between the blocks. Not many people have tested it from what I can tell.

Try it out and tell us what you find. I don't have SLI otherwise I would test it.

I was under the impression that i would need a y/f adapter to split the loop between the 2 GPU's. Am i mistaken?

I have never run a water cooling system before so i am completely new to this. So i am just trying to figure out how and what i would need to buy to cool my cpu and dual gpu's.

I just needs some directional advice.

If anyone can just point me in the right direction to some info or is able to take the time to quickly just lay out the exact items i would need to adequately and efficiently cool what i need, I would be very very grateful. The last thing i want to do is purchase the wrong items or not cool what i need cooled correctly.

Ok. Here's the parts I'm putting together right now. I'm going to be putting C2D and single 8800GTS in it, but am building excess cooling for either SLI or just higher heat output in the future.

Radiator - ThermoChill PA 120.3
Pump - Petra's DDCT-01s
CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee GT
GPU Block - EK-FC8800 GTS
Resevoir - MCRES-Micro
Fillport - Danger Den Fillport
Fans - Yate Loon 120mm
Tubing - ClearFlex 60 1/2"

I'm getting this all from either www.jab-tech.com or www.petrastechshop.com

In your case you would need two of the GPU blocks fitting whatever cards you have. Definitely get full coverage GPU blocks, otherwise you just end up needing air flow over the card anyway for the heat sinks on the memory and mosfets. Most full coverage blocks have barbs that can be mounted in either direction or both. This makes it easy to configure the blocks in parallel or series.

Here's a post with a series configuration: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030981324&postcount=334

thanks DDogbert.

I was looking into purchasing similar items already. Will i need any other connectors/fittings other than what comes with each item?

Also what is the connection order for that design. I really am just guessing at how the water flows and how the tubing is connected.

It depends on what you choose to do. If you want to run the GPUs in parallel then you'll need more barbs, otherwise you should be fine with what comes with it. Make sure you get hose clamps.

I'm doing the following:

pump->rad->CPU->GPU->res->pump

Your options are
series:
pump->rad->CPU->GPU->GPU->res->pump

or
parallel:
->GPU
pump->rad->CPU-> ->res->pump
->GPU

I'm adding a couple options to my loop. I'm putting the fillport in the top of my case and dropping a line to the top of the res so I can refill it without opening everything up. I'm also putting a T in the line coming out of the res connected to a fillport at the bottom of the case for easy draining.

It all depends on your case and what you can fit. Remember a ThermoChill 120.3 is about 17" long and about 2 3/8" thick. Here's a pic of it mounted in my new case, a Just PC R900. With fans its about the same height as a PS.

Thanks for more info.

So where in your case are you going to place the pump and res?

And you are saying i should have no problem if i don't run the GPU's parallel to simply just keeping the flow of water continuous from cpu to one gpu then to another. this also so be ample cooling as well. I would prefer this since it does seem slightly easier to install.

My plan is to put the res behind the lower HD cage in the bottom (where the big ovalish hole is). Then I'll mount the pump to the motherboard tray with the outlet pointing up.

Yeah, putting GPUs in series works fine. The second GPU will just be a few degrees warmer from what I've read.

Thanks for all your help. I think i have a plan now. I'll post pics when i get it all installed prolly within the next 4 days.

Good luck on your build.

Thanks again

I run my two GPUs in parallel, my two GPU blocks are the most restrictive things in the loop (dual maze 4s) I get great flow, although I am a bit of a perfectionist and made sure that my inlet lines were the same length and that my outlet lines were the same length so that the amount of pipe friction would be the same. This keeps my flow split almost exactly between the two cards (7800GTs)

Back