The Fallout New Vegas Thread * will contain spoilers *

I agree, I prefer the DC wasteland, it felt much more like a wasteland. Plus the vaults were better in Fallout 3 IMO. I like the wasteland feel, I dont want to see a fully powered town with people all over the map.

Let me introduce you to Vault City and New Reno, in a game called Fallout 2.

So far, the patch is working "OK" in the sense that I don't need several bug fixes installed for companions and quests to work right.

The only issue I'm having is now there is are occasional pauses at various locations. The pauses aren't consistent at all. Completely random. Turning down AA from 16x to 8x solves the issue.

Let me introduce you to Vault City and New Reno, in a game called Fallout 2.

Actually, I found that to be the worst location in Fallout 1/2, most would disagree but I just didnt care for it. I prefer the man vs. the wasteland idea gameplay.

I just got the game and played it for the first time last night... I seriously need a dose of speed or something for my dude... He runs like a turtle with a grenade in its ass.

There are mods for that.

player.modav speedmult X where X is added to the base value of 100. (so for example X = 25 would make your character move 25% faster). This is a 1 time console command. Set it and you're done.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread... sure there's a 'mod' for that, but the mods out there for run speed honestly work like crap. I'm not sure why this simple console command needs a mod anyway. I had the same feeling as Tempest_Prime regarding the player's move speed and after searching and googling, I found very half-assed mods (glasses that make the player move twice as fast... derp derp?). I eventually came upon a list of console commands and decided to try that one out. Works like a charm. Keep in mind that after you enter it, sneak then unsneak real quick to get it to apply.

I have given up with it on the 360, too many bugs for me to enjoy the game.
This is why you play on PC.

Heh, I modified myself a perk that gradually increases my run speed as I get more powerful (level up). Also have the sprint mod that takes action points away when you sprint. Feel like some vampire in underworld or something. Crazy fast. I still can't get away from the wolverine claws mod either. Radiation did my character good, and my physical regeneration was strong enough to get the adamantine skeleton surgery. Too much fun. It sure explains how Benny's headshot didn't kill me, and it also explains how I can take hundreds of bullets and still recover each time from start of game to endgame.

Definitely better than putting on the glasses speed mod. lol

Being done with the game, I decided to roll a max, 10-stat char in everything, and 100 skill in everything.

Sorta fun.

I just got this game and have been playing for a few hours with my Xbox 360 controller. However I got sick of that and decided to go back to keyboard and mouse. Only thing that's weird is that firing some weapons is really goofy, like it doesn't always shoot when I click the left mouse button. I have to spam the mouse button really fast in order to shoot quickly, half the time if I just press it once it doesn't shoot at all. Has anyone else run into this?

Also, loving the hardcore mode. :D Wish this would have been included in FO3.

I just got this game and have been playing for a few hours with my Xbox 360 controller. However I got sick of that and decided to go back to keyboard and mouse. Only thing that's weird is that firing some weapons is really goofy, like it doesn't always shoot when I click the left mouse button. I have to spam the mouse button really fast in order to shoot quickly, half the time if I just press it once it doesn't shoot at all. Has anyone else run into this?

Also, loving the hardcore mode. :D Wish this would have been included in FO3.

if its the cowboy repeater that one is bugged.

it gets in a a bugged state where you have to fire it once to get it to fire the first time or reload or goto iron sites.

i play with my 360 controller, just sit on the sofa and play, intead of hunkered up over a keyboard and mouse.

I hate the performance of the game same engine as fall out 3, and i run to all sorts of stutters and slow downs in new vegas. None of which i had a problem in fall out 3. Game is very buggy. Sure its fun, but really wish it would have a nice fluid playback like FO3, and tons of bugs that just make me mad. Like with NPC's if there are few of them things grind to a hault, and i get the slide show effect. Its very maddening when you have a NPC companion who follows you around (boone) ughhh. Other bugs i have found many spots that will literally get you stuck and no matter what you do cannot get out ( i even tried blasting my self out with dynamite). The boomers bug, You can be in sneak mode with 100 sneak + stealth boy and you will still be attacked by those blasted artillery. Took me awhile to find a good path to get in, those things are deadly.

Cazadors are a PITA, esp in numbers, they swarm you like some kinda bee nightmare. The venom you get injected with lasts for what seems to be forever. My preferred weapon is the sniper rifle from when they are far away, then i switch to the incinerator when they get close. Those suckers fly entirely to fast, like some kinda demon fighter jet bug. So its a treat to light them on fire and try and dodge stings. If your near water and have the re breather you can just dive under the water, those pesky bugs cannot get you there.

Deathclaws are no joke in New Vegas. Take me out in 2 hits, i given up trying to fight them with anything but the sniper rifle and be being far far away, in case the first hit doesn't kill them ,they cannot run up on me and kill me, giving me another chance to fire at them.

Science is useless in this game just about. Hardly any terminals to hack. So just keep a few magazines and your good.

Overall i am pleased with the game, minus the bugs i stated. Cazadors could fly a little slower. The biggest let down for me there is no stinking bobble heads grr. If anyone knows a mod which will help with the stuttering i'm all ears.

I also had a smooth ride with Fallout 3 - but New Vegas pretty much caused me headaches the entire time.

The NPC stuttering issue was never fully resolved. Also, it appeared that Obsidian was going to keep on patching the game, but that hasn't materialized. Some people had the audacity to insist that Bethesda is responsible for patching this title. Bethesda didn't even work on this title. This is Obsidian's game. They broke the engine with their shennanigans, it's up to them to fix it.

This is the year I lost faith in Obsidian. Did you play Alpha Protocol, by the way?

Well don't. I believe that Alpha Protocol may be the most disappointing title I played this year.

It's probably a bit rich to say that Obsidian broke the engine. I think the GameBryo engine or whatever it is has been fundamentally fucked since it was created.

Besides, Obsidian has released 3 patches so far, one of them fixing a shitload of issues. Bethesda only patches their game before they release a DLC, and it's usually to add support for the DLC.

3 patches? In just a few months?

Isn't that further evidence of an unfinished game?

It's still not working as well as Fallout 3 for me personally - and this individual above also seems to be having his share of troubles. Ultimately, Fallout New Vegas was a good RPG, I thought. But I didn't think it was great. Ah well, now they're going to suck our blood with a myriad of expansion packs. I sure hope Obsidian can get its act together in 2011.

Honestly though, I'd much rather see something along the lines of a Dragon Age Awakenings, than two hours' worth of DLC. Instead of focusing on 5 separate DLCs they should focus on an expansion pack with some meat and gravy.

Who's running the show over there at Obsidian, anyway? Do we even know?

3 patches? In just a few months?

Isn't that further evidence of an unfinished game?

It's still not working as well as Fallout 3 for me personally - and this individual above also seems to be having his share of troubles. Ultimately, Fallout New Vegas was a good RPG, I thought. But I didn't think it was great. Ah well, now they're going to suck our blood with a myriad of expansion packs. I sure hope Obsidian can get its act together in 2011.

Honestly though, I'd much rather see something along the lines of a Dragon Age Awakenings, than two hours' worth of DLC. Instead of focusing on 5 separate DLCs they should focus on an expansion pack with some meat and gravy.

Who's running the show over there at Obsidian, anyway? Do we even know?

I won't be getting any of the DLC's unless they fix the issues with the game first. I am a huge fan of Fall Out series , but i am on strike now. They have sold well over 400million in copies so far, so they better get there act together and fix the game first, before they get anymore of my hard earned $. NPC issue is unacceptable and needs to be fixed. I have a fast system and i should have to lower the settings in game to combat the problem, when i can run at max settings, for 1080p. I am sure that i am not the only one complaining about these issues, and hopefully they will fix them. I didn't play the game before the first 3 patchs, i just got the game for x-mas. If It was worse before glad i didn't get it before now.

Yeah... going on strike... that's a good idea... how come I didn't think of that? I'm going on strike too, until they fix this thing.

"Myriad" of DLCs? Only one afaik and it's Xbox-only for now. At this rate another DLC would only be released in May. Not exactly "flooding" players with DLCs.

How do I disable the player.modav speedmult command? I just used it to catch up to my lost save.

Fallout 4: New Vegas mod teases Goodsprings, destruction physics, karma system

recreating New Vegas using Fallout 4's Creation Engine...Fallout 4: New Vegas is a project comprised of around 100 contributors from various backgrounds, and aims to reimagine Sin City with all of the 2010 original's "quests story and content, with additional gameplay elements and systems from the new and improved engine...

I'd love a modern remake mod of New Vegas, although that seems like a boatload of work. The desert and mountains are one thing, but the downtown/strip area is another. Plus the sheer number of quests they'd have to make. By the time this thing is done Fallout 5's engine will probably be dated.

I'd love a modern remake mod of New Vegas, although that seems like a boatload of work. The desert and mountains are one thing, but the downtown/strip area is another. Plus the sheer number of quests they'd have to make. By the time this thing is done Fallout 5's engine will probably be dated.

I am glad someone resurrected this thread because it reminded me that I bought Fallout: New Vegas during the recent holiday sale. I have never played it before, but figured after all the discussion about how it's the best Fallout I had to try it.

I am glad someone resurrected this thread because it reminded me that I bought Fallout: New Vegas during the recent holiday sale. I have never played it before, but figured after all the discussion about how it's the best Fallout I had to try it.

Yeah, it's definitely in the discussion. It's the one where your decisions matter most for certain. There are multiple factions you can side with that drastically affect the main story of the game and you can't buddy up to everyone like you can in Oblivion and Fallout 4.
There are a wide variety of technical hurdles to running the game well (or even at all), so you'll want to pull up the other thread that offers tips on running the game.

Fallout 4: New Vegas mod teases Goodsprings, destruction physics, karma system

recreating New Vegas using Fallout 4's Creation Engine...Fallout 4: New Vegas is a project comprised of around 100 contributors from various backgrounds, and aims to reimagine Sin City with all of the 2010 original's "quests story and content, with additional gameplay elements and systems from the new and improved engine...

I'd love it, but I won't hold my breath. It seems like the "redo old Bethesda games in new engines" folks vastly underestimate the amount of work it takes and never get things out. You see that with the various projects to bring Morrowind and Oblivion in to Skyrim. They took so long without getting anywhere that a new, 64-bit Skyrim came out and now there is the question of if they keep working on what they were doing or jump to the new engine or what. It is just the kind of thing that tames more time and resources than they are willing to commit.

But I can hope, because I -LOVE- New Vegas and seeing it on a modern engine would be great.

That's amazing if it ever sees the light of day. I wouldn't mind throwing some support money at it.

FO:NV running on a 64bit engine? Yes, please! It'd be cool to see if the Silverlock folks create a version of NVSE to work with the mod.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Heh, achievements complete for FO:NV. :D

AceGoober_FONV_Achievements_01-10-2017.jpg

Todd Howard in a retrospective for the 25th anniversary of the series says New Vegas started out as a large expansion for Fallout 3, but he felt what Obsidian was working on deserved to be its own game.

I'd love it, but I won't hold my breath. It seems like the "redo old Bethesda games in new engines" folks vastly underestimate the amount of work it takes and never get things out. You see that with the various projects to bring Morrowind and Oblivion in to Skyrim. They took so long without getting anywhere that a new, 64-bit Skyrim came out and now there is the question of if they keep working on what they were doing or jump to the new engine or what. It is just the kind of thing that tames more time and resources than they are willing to commit.

But I can hope, because I -LOVE- New Vegas and seeing it on a modern engine would be great.
For sure. If it was super easy to just redo old game in new engine, Bethesda themselves would do it to milk more cash. Most remake teams of any stripe bite off more than they can chew and either never release anything, or release it so long after they start that it really doesn't matter much anymore.

For sure. If it was super easy to just redo old game in new engine, Bethesda themselves would do it to milk more cash. Most remake teams of any stripe bite off more than they can chew and either never release anything, or release it so long after they start that it really doesn't matter much anymore.
LOL...
I don't think I have ever seen someone respond to themselves 5 years later....
Were you aware that was you? ;)

I've had it for ages, but picked it up since it's the ultimate edition. Still a fun game to play after all these years, especially with mods.

Back