I'll say sure and mail him $10,000 worth of Monopoly Money :p

not that Id get a real address
I figure someone hacked his account considering his previous history

Ice Czar said:
Hell I hope he asks for the money
I'll say sure and mail him $10,000 worth of Monopoly Money :p

Better yet, $10,000 in MEGA COUPON SAVINGS! :D

evilchris said:
He doesn't appear to have violated any ebay policies. Buyer beware applies. Anyone too stupid to neglect to read the WHOLE AUCTION should not be on ebay.

Sort of...at the top he posted
"You Are Bidding on An ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB GDDR3"

So he is supposed to sell it for that price..if he does not...then Ebay can bust him.

kick@ss said:
You Are Bidding on An ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB GDDR3

He shouldn't have put that sentence in if he wanted to scam people. Otherwise what he would have done would have been "fine."
Technically they would have been bidding on that card, just not for themselves. Someone needs to beat some sense into this fuck, send him a horses head - should give a clear message.

FiZ said:
...send him a horses head - should give a clear message.

lol...just like the Godfather ;)

Hopefully ebay will pull the plug and ban the shithead.

Edit: oh snap! someone outbid Ice Czar... $10,100...lol!

evilchris said:
He doesn't appear to have violated any ebay policies. Buyer beware applies. Anyone too stupid to neglect to read the WHOLE AUCTION should not be on ebay.

I agree...if people are too retarded to read the whole thing then its their fault if they get stung. Although at the top of the auction it does say:

"You Are Bidding on An ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB GDDR3"

"The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or Reserve amount."

We win. Kudos, Ice Czar, you have been promoted to "UBAR 31337."

There's a difference between "buyer beware" and outright fraud and deceptive advertising. This guy is using "fine print" to purposely deceive people.

Only consolation is knowing this scumbag is probably going to pull something similar in real life and whoever he pisses off is going to beat the living hell out of him, and he deserves it.

If someone pulled some **** like that on me I would break their legs and drop them off at the hospital.

kcthebrewer said:
If someone pulled some **** like that on me I would break their legs and drop them off at the hospital.

wow, you're kind. I would just leave them where I broke their legs at. Although I'm not quite sure I'd stop at their legs...my temper seems to get the best of me sometimes :rolleyes:

thanx Techead :D
missed being out bid too bad it got pulled, would have been fun to see how high it would have gone

kcthebrewer said:

assuming of course you can find them,
I have a feeling that wasnt really chadstoyproject
I think its pretty likely hes in big trouble right now, with a compromised computer
and someone else (likely in Bulgaria) has his ebay account, password and has emptied any paypal account he has, not to mention swiped his passwords to any other network or accounts

thats what happens when your lax on security, you get a keylogger stuffed up your computer and your virtual life goes to pot, what would be really sad is if the previous dupe paid and he takes the fall

A conversation with Lance Spitzner, Sun Microsystems senior security architect
and a founder of the Honeynet Project
a Honeynet (or pot) is a system that is bait for intrusion so it can be detected, monitored, mined for data and techniques
and eventually deflected, causing no harm from it, not an easy thing to do, considering the intruder has "root"

Excerpted Transcript
Used with permission from both Lance Spitzner and Dana Greenlee Producer and co-host of the WebTalkGuys
but she is a Lady, and very nice one for letting me do this ;)
and of course Lance for taking time out to give me permission and answer a few questions.

We join the discussion of Honeynets in the middle here

WebTalkGuys: Well Lance lets talk about bait, I mean why would...
does a hacker come to one of these sites just because...
or one of these computers, just because he can or
is there something on there that he'd want,
Do you care about that?

Lance: Thats actually one of the most amazing things,
if you just put a computer out there that has no percieved value
it will probably get scanned 10 to 20 time a day
this is any system Im not talking about corporations, small businesses
If any of your listeners have a connection at home
a home connection dsl cable isdn
and they have a dedicated connection
they are most likely getting scanned ten to twenty times a day, also
just as our systems are
the bad guys are being very active,
because it very simple to hack
you just download a tool and run the tool

WebTalkGuys: Why are they doing this though? dont these people have jobs?
Dont they have lives themselves or do they just sit around?

Lance: Well its very interesting and its one of the things weve learned
beacuse of these honeynets we see what these guys do afterwords, so we can monitor the motives
there is a misconception that people think that alot of these attackers are
misguided youths out exploring the internet
the reality is that the vast majority of these individuals
are criminal intent, in other words to make money
we see alot of time peolple hacking systems and
scanning for stolen credit cards
or thier launching attacks against other organizations
and potentially getting paid for it
or they are dealing in stolen music,
videos, licensed software such things called warez
people scanning or scouring the internet for email addresses
to build databases of stolen email addresses to sell to spammers
stolen paypal accounts
stolen ebay accounts
there is just a tremendous amount of criminal activity going on

WebTalk Guys: Ok so its really a malicious type of environment

Lance: Extremely hostile

----------discontiuity-----------------

a large percentage of the bad guys really dont care what systems they break into
they simply download an automated tool that
will literally scan 16 million computers in a night
and any one of those 16 million computers is vulnerable
the program will break into them

WebTalk: What are some of the most hacked operating systems out there?
Everybody has heard about Windows, but is Windows really the most hacked operating system on the internet?

Lance: No everybody is a potential victim, Windows tends to be very popular just because if the bad guys are going to develop an exploit he gets the biggest bang for the buck, for Windows.

we also tend to see alot of focus on Linux just because Linux is a free operating system
so more economically depressed countries its easier for the bad guys to get access to this OS, understand this OS and attack the OS
For example countries like Romania, Eastern Europe very economically depressed,
so we tend to see
alot of hacking activity coming out of those countries

WebTalk Guys: OK cause certainly as far as the numbers of computers that are connected to the Internet most of them are Unix and Linux arent they as far as the overall number?

No I would actually disagree I would say the growing majority is more in the
Windows side as more and more home users are connecting via broadband

WebTalk Guys: Well thats true and thats a fairly recent phenomenon

Lance: Exactly
and the very scary thing is thats why its becoming easier for hackers because people have this misconception that bad guys only target buisnesses or companies, but they dont realize
anybody, any system with an IP stack is a target
so you have these millions of home users coming online
that have no conception of security, who dont beleive theyre a target,
this becomes a very target rich environment for the bad guys.

More >
you can download the whole conversation at the link above, or the whole show ;)

also located (with more info including the Rampant Paranoia 101 Checklist )
in the General Software Security FAQ > Help Im infected with...

That was a nice tidbit of info, Ice Czar...thanks! While most of us tend to be more internet savy than the average user, I'm sure that being a little fish in the big pond can cause some to grow lapse in their online security.

Where does one draw the line to say, yes now my computer is safe? Are the host of free programs such as Zone Alarm and AVG enough or are more extreme measures needed to protect us from similar online identity theft?

braap said:
Where does one draw the line to say, yes now my computer is safe?

thats done in three easy steps
1. Disconnect the Internet
2. Encase it in a Block of Cement
3. Place a 19 year old with an Assault Rifle over it

Its now safe :p

what would be a reasonable amount of security?
sort of depends on the risky behavior you engage in
best thing for it is education

can you get by with freeware aps?
and still engage in moderately risky behavior?
yes with some knowledge, a properly configured and patched computer and a layered defense
youll likely need to clean house on occassion
but you should be "tipped" to the infection if your paying attention
probably the most useful ap is a registry monitor, like registryprot
and something to watch the connections like Vision or Fport
I havent tried their FileWatch but that is another important tool to detect changes to security aps
in the thread below is another FileChecker
use a freeware firewall that is rule based, pretty sure Zone Alarm can still be used as a rule based, then allow programs and processes one at a time to connect, deny those you dont recognize and see what happen (dont make a rule) then research it if necessary
it teaches you about processes

there is alot of freeware in this thread > again Help Im infected with...
and is fairly representative of a layered defense
replace the paid ware when possible with freeware, and set programs to watch programs
Process Guard is a really nice ap, and even if its just the expired trial ware you can set it to monitor and protect one process,
so pick your primary detection tool (in NOD32 that would be the resident monitor Amon)

and there is alot more available if you get into Linux and the freeware available for Intrusion Detection
or setting up a Honeypot, but that is definately advanced stuff, that youd engage in to learn about network security
(any large network being impossible to secure indefinately with a simple configuration far too dynamic an environment)

as long as stuff is coded, there will be codes to bust stuff as well
ocassionally they will succeed ;)

and dont keep passwords, accounts, or credit cards numbers on your computer period
dont use helpful tools that remember passwords (from the browser on down)
and always employ SSH when ordering online or logging onto ebay

Back