The Callisto Protocol (survival/horror)

sounds like a game worth playing for the right price...the graphics seem like the real highlight...the gameplay and story seem a bit meh as they made a mistake focusing on melee combat versus the Dead Space style weapon dismemberment
Not really. The melee combat IMO is much more satisfying than in Dead Space. Obviously Dead Space excels at dismemberment from a distance. If Callisto would have focused on dismemberment then everyone would have ripped on it for being too derivative of Dead Space.

If Callisto would have focused on dismemberment then everyone would have ripped on it for being too derivative of Dead Space.

I think it's already known as being a Dead Space copycat...Glen Schofield was the lead developer for the original Dead Space

I think it's already known as being a Dead Space copycat...Glen Schofield was the lead developer for the original Dead Space
We know that about Schofield. It differentiated itself enough but you all never gave it a chance. We agreed on 7/10 and then several people rated the Dead Space remake the same thing due to its faults lol.

I’m starting to see why people call PC gamers out for being whiny entitled bitches. I’m PCMR but you people complain about some dumb stuff while giving other things a pass lol

We know that about Schofield. It differentiated itself enough but you all never gave it a chance. We agreed on 7/10 and then several people rated the Dead Space remake the same thing due to its faults lol.

I’m starting to see why people call PC gamers out for being whiny entitled bitches. I’m PCMR but you people complain about some dumb stuff while giving other things a pass lol

everyone agrees that's it's at best a 7/10...so what's the issue?...it didn't live up to the hype...as far as the Dead Space remake, it got much higher scores and is considered the better overall game...

https://opencritic.com/game/13372/the-callisto-protocol

https://opencritic.com/game/13897/dead-space-remake-

Complaints or criticisms? This is a forum - you’re supposed to be critical.

Also… did I read your post wrong? Are you suggesting that the forum itself agreed on a score of 7 out of 10? That’s crazy talk.

Edit: Oh, I see… you’re talking about the Metacritic score. Personally, I’ve lost faith in ‘gaming critics’. So that score means nothing to me.

That said, there actually are a few critics whose opinions I value. That ACG guy, Karak, is one of them.

They are different games with different play styles. This is what you all seem to be missing. It’s not just space game vs space game.

Dead Space focuses on dismemberment while Callisto hones in on melee combat. I love Dead Space, but gimme a break. I can play the new one and stil enjoy Callisto.

They are different games with different play styles. This is what you all seem to be missing. It’s not just space game vs space game.

Dead Space focuses on dismemberment while Callisto hones in on melee combat. I love Dead Space, but gimme a break. I can play the new one and stil enjoy Callisto.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree. They’re really the same ‘type’ of game.

The actual combat is almost secondary to what these games are about - namely, advancing through highly atmospheric, corridor-based levels in a sci-fi setting.

I don’t look at these two games together and say, oh, that one’s about dismemberment, while the other one’s about melee. What I see are two third person sci-fi survival games that take place in Alien-like settings - with one game nailing the combat, and the other completely flubbing it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Respectfully, I strongly disagree. They’re really the same ‘type’ of game.
First off, I appreciate the respect with which you bring your perspective. That seems to be a dying thing these days. We're all gamers to the core (hence our presence here), but we don't always appreciate games to the same degree. And that's OK. There are PLENTY of titles that other people have spent hundreds of hours in that I find mindless, addicting and borderline annoying.

No, I don't do Metacritic...if you read the replies here, most who actually played it settled on about a 7/10 or so which I agree with even if I would personally rank it slightly higher. Then they also ranked the Dead Space remake around a 7/10 in that thread but Atomic Heart seems to be getting roughly that same score from people here and I find that game really enjoyable so take that for what it's worth.

I agree that they're the same 'type' of game (space horror) but I found that I can play both and really appreciate their differences. I won't go into those again because I've already done so in this thread and won't change any more minds at this point.

The actual combat is almost secondary to what these games are about - namely, advancing through highly atmospheric, corridor-based levels in a sci-fi setting.
I agree, and I LOVE the atmospheric setting in these games. I have a soft spot for horror titles and space horror just ups the ante for me. I grew up loving Alien, Event Horizon, etc.

Thus I would argue that the setting is similar but the gameplay is really what sets the two games apart. In Dead Space, I'm walking the corridors of a ship and trying to blast the arms/legs/head off of a fucked up thing before it can get close to me. In Callisto I am getting in close and bashing the monstrosity's brains in. That is highly satisfying!

We are obviously looking at the games from two different perspectives, and that's OK. The main problem I see is Dead Space and the obvious comparisons that people wanted to make. This game will always be compared to Dead Space, especially since they came out within months of each other. It's its curse. But I definitely appreciate the things that it tried to do differently. The Dead Space remake is great but not perfect, and it feels like people are so full of nostalgia for that title that they are just outright dismissive of this one instead of welcoming more space sci-fi goodness. I feel that it stands apart and wish it wasn't continually compared with another game that did a different take on space/sci-fi horror (IMO).

Last edited:
Hate to retread ground, but I rarely got into a melee fight after the halfway point of the game. Once you upgrade your firearms it becomes much more effective to shoot off legs and arms from a distance than it is to get into an endless cycle of melee. The latter is likely to get you killed on the hardest difficulty.

Got this on discount for 28 bones including DLC. I am in Habitat level and honestly, I should've just stayed away. The story is so boring I am skipping cutscenes lol. Just brainless killing for a bit. I can't believe this is a game. Having recently played Dead Space remake this game really feels like a joke. I was in a place where you have to wait for some crap to charge up. I kept lifting and throwing zombies in shredders without a single second of tension. It was like hey dumbass, just come closer so I can pick you up and throw you while your idiot friends wait for me to finish animation. Half the time I got killed (maybe 2-4 times) was because I forgot that I had pressed left or right in QTE and repressed it (playing SF6 so mashing buttons has been a thing for a few weeks lol).

I give this game a solid 4 turds / 10.

currently on sale for $29.99 during the Steam Summer sale...tempting...I mainly want to pick this up for the graphics

currently on sale for $29.99 during the Steam Summer sale...tempting...I mainly want to pick this up for the graphics
Graphics are honestly not that impressive, but the design and presentation make it work really well. I don't think I've ever seen a game that has made baked lighting and ambient occlusion work so well. A lot of care was also taken in the character models and digitizing of the human actors, and Josh Duhamel kills it in the role of Jacob.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you don't compare it directly to Dead Space I think you'll enjoy it more. At release I called it a 6 out of 10. After the patches, content updates, and finishing the game I'd call it a 7.5-8.0. If you've been waiting it out to see if the game improved, I'd say now is a good time to get it, especially since the last DLC just released.

It does run good, stutters are basically gone now from what I can see, few hitches here and there but nothing of note. 100+fps with everything on and ray tracing, FSR Quality at 5160x2160 lol.

I doubt they improved the way ray tracing looks, but I'll check it out later. It's hilarious how completely blind so many people are and could not even see all the obvious issues and how it was even worse looking in many areas than running without ray tracing. And it's still insanely CPU limited with ray tracing on from what I saw in a video that somebody uploaded after the patch yesterday. It was dropping into the 70 FPS range with GPU usage dropping down to only 60% or so even with a 13900k and 8200 MHz memory.

It does run good, stutters are basically gone now from what I can see, few hitches here and there but nothing of note. 100+fps with everything on and ray tracing, FSR Quality at 5160x2160 lol.
Same here. No FSR needed. FSR makes the game run worse on my machine, though.
I doubt they improved the way ray tracing looks, but I'll check it out later. It's hilarious how completely blind so many people are and could not even see all the obvious issues and how it was even worse looking in many areas than running without ray tracing. And it's still insanely CPU limited with ray tracing on from what I saw in a video that somebody uploaded after the patch yesterday. It was dropping into the 70 FPS range with GPU usage dropping down to only 60% or so even with a 13900k and 8200 MHz memory.
I watched that video. It seems like the load balancing on the 13900KF is messed up. Only 4 of the 8 P cores are being utilized. The load is distributed evenly across all 8 cores on my 7800X3D.

Yeah I have given up on the last boss of the Final Transmissions DLC, the boss is way too tedious and even if you set it to easy, you still get killed because the character mechanics are WAY too slow versus the speed of the enemies that suddenly launch at you, so you have to pretend you're actually faster and anticipate every move which leaves no time to heal or stomp something to grab a health stem or something like that.

Weapon cycling is too slow still as well.

The below section took me a whole week of dying to finally overcome:

Very sad. Guess there is no future for a part 2.
With the last DLC I think it's safe to say this game was always going to be a "one and done." It's not unusual, though, for a studio to go through a shuffling of the staff after a project has been completed. The studio had more than 150 employees, so laying off 32 of them isn't a big deal.

Dead Space co-creator Glen Schofield is leaving the company he founded, Striking Distance Studios, months after the flop of its first game, The Callisto Protocol...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1704593278299979941

"The shakeup at the San Ramon, California-based game developer is reflective of the turbulent nature of the video-game industry. Big-budget games take years to make and can cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which means a single miss can severely damage a game company’s prospects"

that's rough...developers are having a tough time after a game flops...Immortals of Aveum, Saints Row reboot and now Callisto Protocol

that's rough...developers are having a tough time after a game flops...Immortals of Aveum, Saints Row reboot and now Callisto Protocol

I dunno - seems like culling the weak from the herd to me - that's not a bad thing

I dunno - seems like culling the weak from the herd to me - that's not a bad thing

Immortals of Aveum and Callisto Protocol were the first games released by new studios...doesn't seem like they were given a chance...both games don't seem terrible either

"The shakeup at the San Ramon, California-based game developer is reflective of the turbulent nature of the video-game industry. Big-budget games take years to make and can cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which means a single miss can severely damage a game company’s prospects"

I mean, the prevailing pattern there is that they all aren't particularly great games - it wasn't a swing and a miss for no reason

Calisto was... alright. I'm inclined to think it would have gone a little better if they took a step back to remember what makes a good game instead of sucking themselves off constantly about how they have perfected horror

Well, there goes any hopes for a sequel. I enjoyed it, haven't played the DLC yet, been busy with Dead by Daylight.

Well, there goes any hopes for a sequel. I enjoyed it, haven't played the DLC yet, been busy with Dead by Daylight.
I did too. It had a bit of a rough start, but once fixed it had a lot going for it IMHO. The "recent reviews" category on Steam has changed from mixed to mostly positive as well.

This game is looking a lot like another The Saboteur...Pandemic Studios (RIP) released that game to mixed reviews before shuttering but a lot of folks really enjoyed it.

Callisto released at pretty much the worst possible time by coming out just before a technically solid remake of a game that is well loved, already established, and extremely similar in terms of themes. The Dead Space Remake was one of those rare games that fans yearn for and crap themselves over when a studio gives a fan favorite new attention in the form of a modern remake (just like with System Shock). I can't help but think Callisto would have done a heck of a lot better in a world where DSR 1) wasn't a thing or at least 2) didn't release within weeks of it.

Immortals of Aveum and Callisto Protocol were the first games released by new studios...doesn't seem like they were given a chance...both games don't seem terrible either
What I find amusing is that Bret Robbins who founded Ascendant Studios, the dev behind Immortals of Aveum, also happened to be the Creative Director at Sledgehammer Games that worked on the OG Dead Space, along with a few other devs that came from EA that worked in Telltale Games.

Top that off with Glen Schofield who was the Creator and Executive Producer of the OG Dead Space, also co-founded Sledgehammer Games and was the Vice president and General Manager at Visceral Games, which went on to be the founder and CEO of Striking Distance Studios, who were responsible for The Callisto Protocol.

So they might of been "new studios", but they were far from being ran by noobs.

What I find amusing is that Bret Robbins who founded Ascendant Studios, the dev behind Immortals of Aveum, also happened to be the Creative Director at Sledgehammer Games that worked on the OG Dead Space, along with a few other devs that came from EA that worked in Telltale Games.

Top that off with Glen Schofield who was the Creator and Executive Producer of the OG Dead Space, also co-founded Sledgehammer Games and was the Vice president and General Manager at Visceral Games, which went on to be the founder and CEO of Striking Distance Studios, who were responsible for The Callisto Protocol.

So they might of been "new studios", but they were far from being ran by noobs.

most of these new studios are run by former executives who were at other companies first before branching out...the Rocksteady guys left to start another studio, Schofield, ex-Bioware devs etc...but the new studios are starting from the bottom without the resources and manpower they previously had success with

most of these new studios are run by former executives who were at other companies first before branching out...the Rocksteady guys left to start another studio, Schofield, ex-Bioware devs etc...but the new studios are starting from the bottom without the resources and manpower they previously had success with
Yeah their just riding on the coat tails of the success from previous games, but reality slapped the shit out of them and gave them a wake up call.

The Callisto Protocol received plenty of support and marketing from their publisher. Immortals of Aveum did not. Not saying the latter is a better game, but it's an interesting case study.

Callisto could have been a good game, but it's pretty obvious it needed at least 1-2 years of development time still. Additionally, there was a weird gap in the middle of the game, almost like there was supposed to be a whole other section that they just ran out of time to create.

And TBH, it really hurt them with EA releasing the Dead Space remake basically 30 days later.

I think the lack of good gunplay hurt this title a lot. It was obviously meant to be melee focused, but I don’t think most people were expecting that.

Also, I love the way PC Gamer acknowledges how ‘shoddy’ the game was, while simultaneously acknowledging they scored the game 79. LOL

https://www.pcgamer.com/dead-space-...es-after-its-sky-high-ambitions-fall-through/
It isn't melee-focused, but I can understand why people would think that. I think that Schofield wanted to innovate in the way close encounters were handled in the genre instead of having the player constantly backpedal. One of the more annoying things in the Dead Space series is being locked into a QTE when a necromorph grabs you where you're guaranteed to take damage. It may not have been fleshed out the best, but it works.

I think the lack of good gunplay hurt this title a lot. It was obviously meant to be melee focused, but I don’t think most people were expecting that.

Also, I love the way PC Gamer acknowledges how ‘shoddy’ the game was, while simultaneously acknowledging they scored the game 79. LOL

https://www.pcgamer.com/dead-space-...es-after-its-sky-high-ambitions-fall-through/
See, I actually loved the focus on melee. It was thick and heavy and murdery and sooo much more satisfying than the "melee" from DS1. There were obvious influences from Dead Space, but the game tried to bring some new ideas as well. That timing, though...just can't get around it. Remakes of older, well-loved games do not happen often...so when they do, you'd be well advised to not release a similar new IP that's trying to take chances.

The early technical issues combined with blatant and obvious comparison to DSR (which happened to be well executed vs. a shoddy cash grab) probably contribute to the negative chatter despite the game scoring well objectively.

Back