The ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 Uses Intel Coolers

Pretty clever but makes me wonder why AMD didn't just use the same spacing as intel or if Asrock will be getting a nice lawsuit with intel for using part of their design on AMD. I would think both CPUs have different mounting pressure so I would be careful cranking down the mounting points on that intel bracket. You may warp the entire board and CPU PCB.

I mean, they have space limitations due to them having to put all that RGB, plating bullshit on it. So changing the mounting system had to happen. lol

Obviously they aren't using 115x mounting components unchanged, they must have changed it to fit this cpu. It's not a 115x mount, it is a 115x cooler compatible mount.

It's a nice touch for those that threw away their AM3/4 mounts, had a cooler they needed to jump thru hoops to get an AM4 mount, or balked at the upcharge if their existing cooler didn't offer a free AM4 upgrade.

I'm using a Thermaltake asetek am4 mount bc it was the cheapest available for my h115i.

It's a nice touch for those that threw away their AM3/4 mounts, had a cooler they needed to jump thru hoops to get an AM4 mount, or balked at the upcharge if their existing cooler didn't offer a free AM4 upgrade.

I'm using a Thermaltake asetek am4 mount bc it was the cheapest available for my h115i.
Also neat in SFF, since a lot of AMD coolers need to be oriented one axis, whereas the Intel mount (and keep-out area) is square. Noticed this firsthand with my Noctua L9i and L9a.

Pretty clever but makes me wonder why AMD didn't just use the same spacing as intel or if Asrock will be getting a nice lawsuit with intel for using part of their design on AMD. I would think both CPUs have different mounting pressure so I would be careful cranking down the mounting points on that intel bracket. You may warp the entire board and CPU PCB.

I mean, they have space limitations due to them having to put all that RGB, plating bullshit on it. So changing the mounting system had to happen. lol

I doubt they will be sued. LGA coolers with AM# sockets has existed in OEM systems since AM2, at least. ASUS made them for HP, and used them in the HP Slimline series (s3000).

Obviously they aren't using 115x mounting components unchanged, they must have changed it to fit this cpu. It's not a 115x mount, it is a 115x cooler compatible mount.

This, mine came in last week and underneath it is different than the intel versions - but with a cpu installed the top of the IHS will be the same height as a regular 115x in its socket. So yeah, more than just having the same 4 hole pattern.

It also has the same orientation of 3 bolts to hold the socket assembly itself, all the good coolers with backplates have cutouts or offsets for these.

It don't matter just smart to get one with AM4 mounting too...The Scythe don't even have the weight of the d14 and can still cool all those high OC's and on delids etc...but you're just redneck and want water for no reason and colored dies who knows..just need a plug and if could find mounting and still got bigger fittings 3"8 fits tighttt on it.

what's with the torx screws?

is there a backplate bolted to the rear of the board?

what's with the torx screws?

is there a backplate bolted to the rear of the board?

I'd almost call it a socketplate, you don't mess with it. Basically it makes it so with a CPU installed in the AM4 socket, it will have the same above board and below board height as an intel 115x setup. So any 115x compatible heatsink that can clear the VRM skyline (sigh) will work fine, and you can rotate 90 degrees unlike some AM4 mounts.

They really did this to make room on the board more than anything, asus on the other hand went DTX.

Its a weird board, wish they had gone a little farther with some of their ideas though. A couple tweaks could make it the best ITX option by a mile.

[...]
Its a weird board, wish they had gone a little farther with some of their ideas though. A couple tweaks could make it the best ITX option by a mile.
I agree. It's lacking at least one more M.2 port (only having one port on a flagship board is an odd choice, IMO) and something like 2.5GbE would have sealed the deal. As it stands, it's short of greatness.

TB3 is 10GbE already, either direct p2p over the bus or with an external adapter.

It really just needs a dual port TB3 controller (JHL7540 instead of 7340, keep it on the x4 CPU lanes), twice the usb ports exposed (they are in the cpu and chipset already) and another m.2 or U.2 somehow.

Also wrap the heatpipe around to a full U to cover the top VRMs, cut that skyscraper heatsink down, and flip the chipset pyramid the other way to give more clearance for tower coolers. The U12A and a few others almost fit already, if they cleared it out proper it would probably fit nearly every tower and even some double towers.

Anyone tried removing the rear I/O cover on this board? Looking into a 3900X upgrade and trying to find something that will fit my C14. I know this board won't with the cover in place, but I'm curious if it would with the cover removed, possibly with a 120mm fan on the bottom.

Update: It's interesting that ASRock says this board is compatible with the C14S, while Noctua says that it isn't.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp#CPUCoolerList
https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/ASRock_X570_Phantom_Gaming-ITX_TB3

Last edited:
Anyone tried removing the rear I/O cover on this board? Looking into a 3900X upgrade and trying to find something that will fit my C14. I know this board won't with the cover in place, but I'm curious if it would with the cover removed, possibly with a 120mm fan on the bottom.

Update: It's interesting that ASRock says this board is compatible with the C14S, while Noctua says that it isn't.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp#CPUCoolerList
https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/ASRock_X570_Phantom_Gaming-ITX_TB3

The rear I/O "cover" is actually a rather significant chunk of metal and is part of the main VRM heatsink. I would advise against it.

Bottom fan is going to get awful close to the chipset heatsink and secondary VRM tower, but it might still fit depending on orientation.

This board is not large top-down cooler friendly in general. Nor large tower either.

Someone could design a hell of an awesome monoblock for it though.

The rear I/O "cover" is actually a rather significant chunk of metal and is part of the main VRM heatsink. I would advise against it.

This board is not large top-down cooler friendly in general. Nor large tower either.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Gigabyte board is the pick for air cooling for the time being.

I heard back from Noctua about the discrepancy between their website and ASRock's regarding C14S compatibility. Noctua found that the C14S does indeed fit and have updated their website.

I'm still unsure about the C14.

Back