The Apple Vision Pro goes on sale in the US on February 2 for $3,499

No, they didn't.
What have they done with it lately?

Last I heard anything about hololens was several years ago when they decided to cancel hololens 3.

I demoed the original in 2016 and it seemed cool, but it had an extremely small fov. I never got to try hololens 2.

Last I heard anything about hololens was several years ago when they decided to cancel hololens 3.

I demoed the original in 2016 and it seemed cool, but it had an extremely small fov. I never got to try hololens 2.
They're heavily used in the military, among other things. They have very large contracts with the US military. It hasn't died, it's just being used for very specific purposes.

Well it’s definitely being used for military applications such as drone swarm flights as of late last year.

Apple doesn't exactly scream "Defense Contract with the Military" in their company bio anyhow.....the funny thing about Apple is this isn't some elegant solution where it's easy to take on/off like a pair of glasses, it's literally just another face mask, which is almost always the #1 universal complaint about these things. Make it like a stereo office headset thats easy to whip on, whip off....maybe.
MAYBE....but honestly, this is APPLE....I don't need another Oculus, I need that BrainStorm machine.......where's THAT, Tim!? Steve would have had that by now and already dismissed it as "not elegant enough! And why doesn't it come with The Beatles catalog in ROM?".....

Those who require vision correction will need to snap up Zeiss optical inserts and attach them to the headset magnetically (Vision Pro doesn't work with glasses)...Readers will cost $99, while prescription lenses will set you back $149...the inserts will only be available for purchase online, so don't expect to be able to wander into an Apple Store to pick them up...

no one's talking about this part...seems like a major hassle for those who wear glasses

Apple doesn't exactly scream "Defense Contract with the Military" in their company bio anyhow.....the funny thing about Apple is this isn't some elegant solution where it's easy to take on/off like a pair of glasses, it's literally just another face mask, which is almost always the #1 universal complaint about these things. Make it like a stereo office headset thats easy to whip on, whip off....maybe.
MAYBE....but honestly, this is APPLE....I don't need another Oculus, I need that BrainStorm machine.......where's THAT, Tim!? Steve would have had that by now and already dismissed it as "not elegant enough! And why doesn't it come with The Beatles catalog in ROM?".....
What you're asking for will likely take 20 years of tech refinements to get to.

Apple has already had to come up with some pretty advanced lens tech and eye tracking tech to get these displays to throw as "short" as they do. AR capabilities that are <12ms and look like reality. Then essentially strap an entire computer to it and also have battery life that is meaningful.

Meanwhile, unlike every other competitor, it's designed to work without needing some peripheral for your hands. In other words much more elegant solution than any other competitor. Or at least attempting to be, I haven't heard great things about the "floating" keyboard.

Apple also clearly considers this very early days for VR. Something that the masses will want (that is to say, soccer moms and grandpa level) won't come for generations. Whether you're talking about Apple or any other AR/VR solution.

I'm fairly confident that Apple's solution will be good, but I also expect it to be what it is: super niche.

Apple has already had to come up with some pretty advanced lens tech and eye tracking tech to get these displays to throw as "short" as they do. AR capabilities that are <12ms and look like reality. Then essentially strap an entire computer to it and also have battery life that is meaningful.
It's not like Samsung hasn't made transparent screens that could be useful for VR headsets. Yep, Apple has some pretty advanced lens tech.

View: https://youtu.be/Adjx1gjUFrU?si=-6TZN6gUa_vu0U_X
Meanwhile, unlike every other competitor, it's designed to work without needing some peripheral for your hands. In other words much more elegant solution than any other competitor. Or at least attempting to be, I haven't heard great things about the "floating" keyboard.
I somehow have Kinect vibes, and you can see how well that worked out.

View: https://youtu.be/GHi8aU8HSIM?si=BRtPA02OEHo94LxQ
Apple also clearly considers this very early days for VR. Something that the masses will want (that is to say, soccer moms and grandpa level) won't come for generations. Whether you're talking about Apple or any other AR/VR solution.
Sure.

View: https://youtu.be/iwgbyHRvVrE?si=eJYVzwY-gxqY_P_O

The new Xcode contains the SDK for VisionPro. I wonder whether it is sufficient to form a picture of the capabilities.

I was glad to see them selling a unit.......until I saw the price. I laughed. Come on.......

I somehow have Kinect vibes, and you can see how well that worked out.

View: https://youtu.be/GHi8aU8HSIM?si=BRtPA02OEHo94LxQ

It worked out really well because Microsoft didn't stop making it until the end of last year. Even though Microsoft isn't making it themselves anymore, they opened up the technology to their partners so they can produce their own products.

I had an open CT scan last year that used an Azure Kinect to help correctly position and manipulate the machine.

It worked out really well because Microsoft didn't stop making it until the end of last year. Even though Microsoft isn't making it themselves anymore, they opened up the technology to their partners so they can produce their own products.

I had an open CT scan last year that used an Azure Kinect to help correctly position and manipulate the machine.
It’s also become pretty common in the logging industry, remote control AR assist heavy machinery for the more dangerous hard to reach locations.

I hope they didn't use the Kinect to navigate the menus.
5_fN12.gif

I was glad to see them selling a unit.......until I saw the price. I laughed. Come on.......
The hardware seems to merit the price; the problem is, of course, that price. This is really corporate-level money for something that's pitched as much for watching movies as it is getting work done. Varjo's recent XR-4 headset isn't far off in pricing. It makes sense if you already have some use cases in mind, or are simply a well-heeled enthusiast; it's a tough sell for anyone else right now.

My guess is that Apple sees Vision Pro as a long-term investment rather than something that needs to be successful relatively quickly. It helps the company figure out what works and build a developer base. You probably won't see high-volume sales for a couple of years or more, but Apple will maybe, hopefully have all the ingredients in place by then: a much more affordable model, solutions for some of the issues (weight, the complexity of fit/prescriptions, battery life), and a more established app ecosystem. A $1,999 'plain' Vision would still be expensive for folks used to $499 Quest 3s, but it'd be a lot more palpable if it really could replace a conventional PC.

Well, Apple knows how many people buy $4000+ Macbooks (me included). From there they can estimate how loose their customer's money is.

Well, Apple knows how many people buy $4000+ Macbooks (me included). From there they can estimate how loose their customer's money is.
Doesn’t mean they want a VR headset. I’m still confident and pretty firm in my stance that VR will always be a small market until the technology supports the hardware not being awful goggles. Jobs understood this IMO, and if he were still alive I’m confident Apple wouldn’t be pushing VR until they could make a generational leap and do VR without goggles.

Doesn’t mean they want a VR headset. I’m still confident and pretty firm in my stance that VR will always be a small market until the technology supports the hardware not being awful goggles. Jobs understood this IMO, and if he were still alive I’m confident Apple wouldn’t be pushing VR until they could make a generational leap and do VR without goggles.
Nah I’m thinking he would have at least first had more software out there that could adequately make use of it. They would have had better Blender, UE5, AutoCad, Fusion360, etc. so it could be used flawlessly and buttery smooth and tied it to a workstation launch announcement.

AR, in the 3D design fields is a growing thing, its use on TV and Movie sets is also a thing so producers can get a rough look at how things will look once the special effects and such are added in so they can make alterations then and there reducing reshoots.

It’s definitely a growing product in the professional space, but Apple let that space slip from them when they didn’t get RayTracing acceleration into their hardware when it was needed.

Good news for Apple if accurate. The challenge, of course, is keeping the demand going. I suspect it’ll slow down substantially until there’s a mainstream model or revised Pro.
The funny part is they underestimated demand. They weren’t trying to sell more.

They basically made as many as Meta sells Meta Quest Pros in a year and weren’t expecting more than that for a first run.

I think more enthusiasts picked them up than potentially devs is what it sounds like.

Last edited:
Naaa, just a bunch of rich kids getting one to hang on the wall to impress their girlfriends. Maybe never used. 😊

Apple Vision Pro review: magic, until it’s not

The Apple Vision Pro is the best consumer headset anyone’s ever made — and that’s the problem...

https://www.theverge.com/24054862/apple-vision-pro-review-vr-ar-headset-features-price

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwaWxY11jQ

Seems like the biggest complaint is having to wear the device in the first place, which is always going to be the hurdle for AR to break into the mainstream. It doesn't help that it weighs over 600g and the straps don't balance the weight according to the review, which means all that weight is on your nose.

Really thorough and fair review. Good job, Verge.

Chopping vegetables with the headset on? The Verge review said there is about 12ms of input lag. I prefer no lag when I'm handling sharp objects.
Those are some expensive scuba goggles.

View attachment 631467
They're not even goggles. It's an enclosed headset like a VR headset. The glass on the front projects an image of the wearer's eyes to let people around them know where they're looking, and it's a lot lower resolution than the promo image. When you wear them you're looking a 3D video of what the external cameras are capturing.

No thank you. There's nothing that this does that makes me want to purchase it, even if it was in the couple hundred dollar range. Also, I've pretty much avoided Apple products since their start. (yes I'm that old!).

Augmented reality is a tech I believe needs to be further developed because I think it can be useful. But I also see a lot of this product is a solution looking for a problem. Hopefully enough people buy stuff like this to continue development so when real challenges come along that AR can fix, it will be ready.

No thank you. There's nothing that this does that makes me want to purchase it, even if it was in the couple hundred dollar range. Also, I've pretty much avoided Apple products since their start. (yes I'm that old!).
I would love to have one, but it definitely has first-gen iPhone vibes. That is, it's a good peek at the future that clearly has some room for improvement. Reduce the weight, extend battery life, either cut the external screen or make it more practical... you get the idea. Ultimately, I'd like the Vision series to be more like AR glasses than a headset. That won't come for a while.

Chopping vegetables with the headset on? The Verge review said there is about 12ms of input lag. I prefer no lag when I'm handling sharp objects.

Human reaction time is more than an order of magnitude greater than that. 12ms is well within your brain's ability to seamlessly compensate for.

No thank you. There's nothing that this does that makes me want to purchase it, even if it was in the couple hundred dollar range.

There's plenty that makes me want to purchase it. Not $3500 of want, but there's some pretty cool tech in there.

Also, I've pretty much avoided Apple products since their start. (yes I'm that old!).

Ah. Yes, I'm sure you're one of the many, many people who had a deep, principled objection to the Apple II...

Again, anyone thinking VR will have mass consumer appeal is living in fantasy land. It will never be big until they can do it with something far less cumbersome than goggles.

I fundamentally see nothing in this product that makes it any more of a leap forward than anything else on the market, to include VR tech from the 90s. This is not an iPhone moment. At best, this is just Apple trying to keep certain prosumer/professionals within the Apple ecosystem for their VR needs.

At the very least, Apple will have a OS built and ready for whatever eventually replaces the stupid goggles, like 3D projection, etc.

Last edited:
Human reaction time is more than an order of magnitude greater than that. 12ms is well within your brain's ability to seamlessly compensate for.

There's plenty that makes me want to purchase it. Not $3500 of want, but there's some pretty cool tech in there.

Ah. Yes, I'm sure you're one of the many, many people who had a deep, principled objection to the Apple II...
Nope, I just wanted to build my own computer. After looking at the 6502 used in the Apple II, the 8080 in the Imsai,
and the Zilog z80, I decided on building an s100 bus system with the z80. I ended up wire wrapping most of the cards.
Was quite fun.

Again, anyone thinking VR will have mass consumer appeal is living in fantasy land. It will never be big until they can do it with something far less cumbersome than goggles.

I fundamentally see nothing in this product that makes it any more of a leap forward than anything else on the market, to include VR tech from the 90s. This is not an iPhone moment. At best, this is just Apple trying to keep certain prosumer/professionals within the Apple ecosystem for their VR needs.

At the very least, Apple will have a OS built and ready for whatever eventually replaces the stupid goggles, like 3D projection, etc.
The future is AR. But it will likely take 10 years minimum of tech advancement before that’s viable. More likely 20. However the only way to have AR built for the future is to start working on it now.

Apple themselves object to these even being called VR goggles. And also that’s why so much of the tech is outward facing. The eyes. The time spent on having the best cameras and pass through. Etc.

You’re looking at this way too short term. It’s all early days.

I'm just waiting for the holodeck. That's what I want.

The future is AR. But it will likely take 10 years minimum of tech advancement before that’s viable. More likely 20. However the only way to have AR built for the future is to start working on it now.

Apple themselves object to these even being called VR goggles. And also that’s why so much of the tech is outward facing. The eyes. The time spent on having the best cameras and pass through. Etc.

You’re looking at this way too short term. It’s all early days.
I have a hard time believing that we need 10-20 years. A 4090 for each eye should be plenty of processing power - I think the mistake at the moment is trying to haul the whole PC around with you.

Back