The age old question: Radiator Thickness?

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
Tl/Dr: After coming to own a 'new' waterblock, I'm looking to build a CPU/GPU loop into my Thermaltake Urban S31 chasis. The case has mounts for one 280mm radiator and a couple other 120mm mounting spots. What are the benefits/drawbacks to the various radiator thickness? Which thickness should I choose for my needs for 'damn good' overclocking and 'pretty quiet' operation?

Hey guys, as you may know, I demonstrated that one should never mix gin and Ebay and am now the proud owner of a waterblock I have no immediate need for. I do plan on putting together a custom loop eventually, and have built custom loops in the past for customers, so assembly, filling and whatnot is not new to me. This 'accidental' purchase has kicked me into gear and now I look at building the custom loop before the end of the year. I may be grabbing a new GPU set-up soon as well: most likely going SLI/CFX which, should funding permit, also be watercooled. So I'm looking at 2/3 potential sources of heat.

So my case is the Thermaltake Urban S31. I love this case for its looks and its lean towards silent operation. It also has much more watercooling flexibility than its competition: the CoolerMaster Silencio 650. In my case, I can fit a 240mm or 280mm radiator up-top, and I have quite a few options for fitting various 120mm fans/rads should I need to. What's great about my chasis is that the top shell is removable should I choose to mount a thicker radiator externally. In my head, the 'external mounting' would look badass, but if the thicker radiator didn't suit my needs, I could use a much thinner one and keep the look of my case intact.

When I have built custom loops, I've always used basic 30-45mm thick radiators. As my customers are more concerned about looks and reliability, I've never really given thought to the thicker radiators out there. Now that it's time to build my own loop, I'm looking to make it 'different' to the various loops I've seen out there. I've had a look at the Alphacool NexXxos Monsta radiator series, and all of the reviews I've seen say the rad is great for higher RPM operation, whereas the much thinner Alphacool NexXxos ST30 is designed for slower RPM. I have yet to see a decent, modern review of these two radiators side-by-side. My main question is this: Would the 80mm 'Monsta' style radiator still perform just as well at the 'quiet' RPMs as the 30mm rads? or does the extra thickness actually hinder performance at lower RPMs? My assumption is that the thicker radiators perform identically to the thinner ones at lower RPMs thus they are a 'waste of money' compared to the thinner radiators if you plan to nly use slower speed fans, which is a different story than 'they simply don't perform as well at lower RPMs'.

With this assumption, my plan is to set a PWM curve that keeps the fans a lower RPM for your normal operation, but ramps up the fans under a heavy load to take advantage of the radiator's thickness. This is assuming that the 80mm rad will perform identically to the 30mm rad under lower RPM fan operation. If the 30mm will offer better performance at the lower RPM settings, I'll go with that, as that will keep my PC quieter overall. I love to overclock the balls off of stuff, but I prefer to have a 'damn powerful' but 'pretty quiet' workstation compared to a 'ridiculously powerful' but 'noisy as hell' workstation. If the 30mm will offer a quieter overall experience at the sacrifice of total TDP potential, I'm okay with that. If the 80mm will offer the same quiet profile, but have the ABILITY to perform like a badass when needed, I'll spend the extra money.

Any suggestions? Advice?

Last edited:
Thicker is always better. Sure, it will be detrimental to performance, but only at ultra-low RPM speeds (600 RPM and below). At higher speeds, the thicker radiators will quickly surpass the lower ones, and I believe the Monsta will outdo the UT60 at somewhere around 1200 RPM. If you're running push/pull, the RPM thresholds go even lower. If you're using high static pressure fans (like the Gentle Typhoons), the RPM thresholds go lower. FPI makes a much bigger difference in what speed fans you should run.

In my experience, at around 1000 RPM fans are practically silent, especially if they use good bearings.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/14/360-radiator-shootout-summary/
The Monsta isn't included, but you can see the trends using the UT60 and ST30.

As for your other thread, here's how your CPU block performed:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?253470-Review-22-CPU-Waterblocks-tested-Roundup

Use the XSPC Rasa as a base to compare with modern blocks:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?282245-Stren-s-2012-CPU-Water-Block-Roundup

So the GTZ is mindbogglingly below average... that's alright, I got it for a steal compared to even the cheapest blocks around here. I was hoping to grab a Koolance 370, but those things are rare and expensive down under. The big issue I can see with the design of the GTZ is the uneccesary thickness of the cold-plate. I might lap it or modify it somehow: its got to be better than my current cooling setup... Roll with life's punches, I say. not like $48 is really much to get upset over.

Anywho, The RAD situation: So you vote on going with the 80mm. I thought this would be the case, as if the 80mm offered the same performance at lower RPM as the 30mm, than really it just allowed for performance to scale more dramatically with higher RPMs, whereas the 30mm kind of plateaus after a certain RPM... so money aside, literally NO drawback to going thick... good to know!

Pretty much. There's only a drawback if you go down below 600 RPM, but even then differences are fairly minor.

Would you be so kind as to suggest some (non Noctua) fans that would maximize a thick-as-hell radiator? I'm guessing static-pressure is king...

I really am impressed by those Gentle Typhoons, too bad they don't seem to be made in 140mm. I may go with the Bitfenix Spectre Pro PWM, as it has gotten good reviews, unless you would have an objection.

Also, my fans have to be black or dark grey. This is why Noctua is right out.

Back