The age old dilemma: 30" dedicated display, or 37" LCD TV for PC use?

MrE

2[H]4U
With my current setup, I'm using a Dell 2405FPW 24" and a Viewsonic VG2230wm monitor for my display duties, but I'd like to move into the 30" or greater category due to my aging eyes as I am near sited. The question becomes thus:

Would you buy a dedicated 30" from Dell, HP or Samsung? I was looking at Dell's 3007 or Samsungs 305T but didn't rule out HP's 30".

Or, would you buy say a 32"-37" LCD TV such as the Sony Bravia KDL32XBR6 or Samsung LN37A550? What are the pro's /cons of using a TV vs dedicated 30" monitor other than resolutions larger than 1920x1050? Ghosting?

I play mostly MMO based games with a few FPS titles, no graphic work, and some movie watching via Netflix's watch instant feature. Thanks in advance for all your advice.

like you i was in the same dilemma. i initially tried the samsun ln37a550. As soon as i placed it on my table I knew it was going to be to big so i didn't even bother to unwrap it. I just took it back and exchanged it for the 32" verzion. Still slightly to big and I could never get the dvi->hdmi cable to display text correctly so i returned that too. now I'm debating between dedicated monitors in the 26-30" range. I was able to get text to display fairly sharp using the PC input though so I used it that way on the 32" for a few hrs. after about 3-4 hrs my head started to hurt. I'm not sure if the headache was coming from teh size of the screen or the brightness though. For referrance purposes, i sit about 3-3.5ft away from teh screen.

An LCD TV vs. Dedicated Computer Display thread would be worth a sticky. This topic keeps getting recreated over and over...

Understood. I'm trying to justify spending $1400 on a 30" monitor when the same can be applied to a higher end LCD TV that has multiple inputs and larger screen. I know about the max resolution ending up smaller then had I gone with a native 30" panel, but I'd really like to understand the inherent problems with using a LCD TV.
See-Fu's example about being "too big" and sitting far from it are at the top of my list as this will sit on a computer desk.

I'm running a Samsung 275T. This is a 27" monitor with 1920x1200 native res. It's awesome.

One advantage to this display is the dot pitch. Text appears larger on this display than a comparable 24" display but still looks fantastic. It does have composite, s-video, component video inputs, 4 port USB HUB and PIP. It's a fantastic monitor, probably would do the trick for you as well. It's certainly worth looking at. I got mine for $899.99 and I love it.

I used a 30" 2560x1600 and was not happy with my performance (dipped into teens too many times). I then got a 37" sharp aqups vyper LCD with 1080p res and I could not be happier with the screensize, the performance and the better looking image (to me the extra ammount of resolution in 3d did not beat out the 37" extra AA and smoothness). Also I do not miss 2560*1600 stretched and often totally screwed up UIs.

I debated this question, too. After going to a BB and convincing them to connect a PC to a 37" Sony 1080p, it was clear to me that the 30" LCD was the way to go. I want the 30"er's uber 2560x1600 resolution so I can keep lots of windows/apps open at once.

I debated this question, too. After going to a BB and convincing them to connect a PC to a 37" Sony 1080p, it was clear to me that the 30" LCD was the way to go. I want the 30"er's uber 2560x1600 resolution so I can keep lots of windows/apps open at once.
2560*1600 is great for business and designers... gaming not so much.

What do most people run their 30" monitors at? From what I've read, in order to run the native 2560x1600, I need to run dual link. How does this affect running multiple monitors?

What do most people run their 30" monitors at? From what I've read, in order to run the native 2560x1600, I need to run dual link. How does this affect running multiple monitors?
It doesn't. Dual link is a type of slot. Most newer gpus have it (i'd say nvidia 7x line and above and atis x1xxx line and above).

I have a 30 inch dell and a 32 inch xbr6 sitting in front of me right now (on separate work and gaming pcs)

I use the 30 inch dell for work and the xbr6 for play... gaming is amazing at 1080p.. not that the dell doesn't game well, but I like the idea of not having to upgrade video cards EVERY round just to get constant framerates, and the colors and contrast is far superior in my opinion

however, for work.. I would NEVER use this sony.. there just isn't enough resolution to work with

I have a 30 inch dell and a 32 inch xbr6 sitting in front of me right now (on separate work and gaming pcs)

I use the 30 inch dell for work and the xbr6 for play... gaming is amazing at 1080p.. not that the dell doesn't game well, but I like the idea of not having to upgrade video cards EVERY round just to get constant framerates, and the colors and contrast is far superior in my opinion

however, for work.. I would NEVER use this sony.. there just isn't enough resolution to work with
Exactly.

So by the sounds of it.....1600p is better for work, ie, text and work related graphics, but the 1080p HDTV shits on the 30in for everything else.

32in 1080p+++++++++

1......50 000 times better black levels
2.....Bigger 16:9 images due to native 16:9 shape, so the 32 isn't "just" 2 inches bigger when watching HDTV.
3....a thousand times more PQ options.
4....cheaper than a comparable 30in.

30in+++++++++++++

good for IT pro's

Back