Thank You ATi!!!

trudude

[H]ard|Gawd
I just want to take this moment to thank ATi for saving me from nVidia this cycle. By the end of this month I will be the proud owner of Crossfire HD4870's. I haven't owned an ATi card since the 9800Pro's and I have never really looked back to be honest. I welcome this move by ATi to release cards that make sense to real gamers. With SLi motherboards failing to deliver the stability I want it is a breath of fresh air to finally have a stable system.

When the 8800 series cards came out I immediately rushed out and got my 680i motherboard from eVGA and my brand new eVGA 8800GTX's. I got me some Corsair Dominator memory and all the other high end gear I would need to have the most kickass system I could afford. Well let me tell you...it was AWESOME...for about 2 weeks. After my second week with the system I was having stability problems left and right. Needless to say after spending all the money on gear I was absolutely pissed. After many countless hours of tweaking and reading forums and trial and error sessions I gave up. I found out later that eVGA boards were killing memory and that was my problem. I went through the whole RMA crap with eVGA for the motherboard and Corsair for the memory and got all new gear. Once I had it all put back together I decided not to do any overclocking in fear that I would have a repeat of that first incident. It happened again. Long story short I went through 4 different brands of 680i motherboards and 7 different kits of memory. The 680i pretty much ruined my computing experience this cycle. I sold my extra 8800GTX to a friend and bought a P35 motherboard and viola...STABILITY! Not only that I was actually able to overclock now.

I am not going to put myself through this crap again. This time around I am going to play it smart and go with an Intel/ATi system and be happy knowing that I can count on my computer to actually turn on. So again I want to say THANK YOU to ATi for saving me from nVidia. I am very excited to see the performance you guys have to offer for the HD4870's and I am eager to see all the pleased customers on all the forums around the net on launch day. Damn this is awesome!;):D;):D;):D

pretty much the same reason im using X38. I'd heard of stability issues with nvidia hardware, and i had a bad taste in my mouth because of horrid nforce drivers for my MSI Nforce2 platinum motherboard.

pretty much the same reason im using X38. I'd heard of stability issues with nvidia hardware, and i had a bad taste in my mouth because of horrid nforce drivers for my MSI Nforce2 platinum motherboard.

Nforce2? My nforce2 NF7-S 2.0 is rock solid and I've never had an issue with drivers. Sounds like your MSI was crap.

Nforce2? My nforce2 NF7-S 2.0 is rock solid and I've never had an issue with drivers. Sounds like your MSI was crap.

Same here, my Nforce 2 is still an awesome board. It was the best chipset nVidia has ever made.

4870 will have a good price point, but I still don't think the video card is that revoluntionary. If it is only about 25% or more faster than a 8800 GTX, you think ATI could have made something far better than a 2 year old video card.

4870 will have a good price point, but I still don't think the video card is that revoluntionary. If it is only about 25% or more faster than a 8800 GTX, you think ATI could have made something far better than a 2 year old video card.
What? I think you need to go read some HD4850 reviews. These things are going to be the real king this cycle. Only way nVidia will be able to compete is to drop their prices. Even then it will very hard for me to go back to nVidia cause of my past issues with them.

GTX 260 overclocks amazingly well. In the [H] review they went from 32fps to 39fps with stock cooling in Age of Conan = +20% increase in performance.
Although I would love to get a 4870, the GTX 260 seems too good a deal to pass, especially with aftermarket cooling which will make the card run cooler even when OCed.
Oh well, I'll wait for OCed 4870 vs OCed 260 review before I make my decision.

With the HD4870 simply being an OC'd HD4850 for the most part, I think pricing will be good for the GTX260 (even before a price drop). I'm seeing the HD4870 sitting maybe 15% over the HD4850 in overall performance. Nvidia will probably end up cutting the GTX260 down to $349 and the GTX280 down to $499-449 not too long from now IMO. Unless the HD4870 comes extremely close or matches the GTX260, I'll go with the GTX260 for the extra $50-75.

Intel CPU + Intel Chipset + ATI video cards FTW!
Nevertheless, a GTX 280 @ $450 would be a very interesting option.

My only question is will my P35 be enough for Crossfire HD4870's or will I need to upgrade it? I don't want to spend too much cause I am planning on going for a Nehalem based system later this year. I have been looking around and X38's are coming in at a good price. Any ideas?

My only question is will my P35 be enough for Crossfire HD4870's or will I need to upgrade it? I don't want to spend too much cause I am planning on going for a Nehalem based system later this year. I have been looking around and X38's are coming in at a good price. Any ideas?

You will need to upgrade to X38 to take full advantage of bandwidth.

Your current mobo will cripple one card with a 4x slot.

Yet another person that hates SLI boards... nothing new here.
Do you blame me? It literally ruined my gaming experience for me for over a year. It almost made me shrug off PC gaming completely. ATi/Intel are the only reasons I may continue to game on my PC.

I'm in the same situation. Given that the second PCIe slot on the P35 is only 4x and a crossfire setup will be severely bottlenecked I'm going with one 4870 for now, maybe a second one depending on what the reviews show.

But judging by this review anything less than true 16x/16x crossfire setup will be bottlenecked.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/intel_p45_vs_x48_crossfire_performance/index.html

You will need to upgrade to X38 to take full advantage of bandwidth.

Your current mobo will cripple one card with a 4x slot.
Yeah I have been reading up about that. Thing that sucks though is that for the price of a X38 + 2 4870's I may be better off just keeping the P35 and getting the GTX280. That is depressing.

Yeah I have been reading up about that. Thing that sucks though is that for the price of a X38 + 2 4870's I may be better off just keeping the P35 and getting the GTX280. That is depressing.

True.

Now, make a new thread, labeled "Thank You Nvidia".

Can't you wait until the 4870x2 comes out?
It should be out in Aug.

thats 25% WITH 4x AA and 800 shaders, compared to 128 shaders and no AAfor the GTX. its not JUST 25% faster.

With the HD4870 simply being an OC'd HD4850 for the most part, I think pricing will be good for the GTX260 (even before a price drop). I'm seeing the HD4870 sitting maybe 15% over the HD4850 in overall performance. Nvidia will probably end up cutting the GTX260 down to $349 and the GTX280 down to $499-449 not too long from now IMO. Unless the HD4870 comes extremely close or matches the GTX260, I'll go with the GTX260 for the extra $50-75.

it has nothing to do with OC'ing. the difference is the RAM, DDR5 compared to DDR3. much higher bandwidth.

Now, make a new thread, labeled "Thank You Nvidia".
Yeah, "thank you" :mad: Nvidia for acting like a monopoly with their outrageous new gear prices while ATI was trying to get its shit together during the merging process.
Finally ATI is back with the truly competitive and price effective product.

THANK YOU ATI !!!!!

Yeah, "thank you" :mad: Nvidia for acting like a monopoly with their outrageous new gear prices while ATI was trying to get its shit together during the merging process.
Finally ATI is back with the truly competitive and price effective product.

THANK YOU ATI !!!!!

Yeah, I was being sarcastic there.

I, for one, will purchase ATI this generation.

Nvidia has been an outrageous turd, and thus I will not support them.

Nvidia is went beyond tolerable with their retail-price maintenance. This is simply unacceptable.

I don't care if Nvidia has the fastest card. ATI is very competitive this generation, and I want to support a company that respects the customer.

Yes thank you ATI!

IMG_0090.jpg

Everybody knows that 680i boards were not stable. It was comon knowledge, especially being a poster here.

Nvidia still makes a better product and will continue to make a better product. However, running Crossfire on an Intel chipset must be nice.

Nice setup! I have question. Where do you get the CrossFire bridge? I have a CrossFire capable motherboard, a FoxConnn P35A, but it did not come with the bridge. I'll wait to see what the 4870 brings to the table and if it looks good I my put two 4870x2 in it with a Q6600 that I'll try to get to 3GHz.

Same here, my Nforce 2 is still an awesome board. It was the best chipset nVidia has ever made.

Agreed. I still have mine. I do have to say that when I get my next system here in the next month or so after the ATi vs Nvidia battle clears up and prices drop, I'll do my very best to stick with an Intel system. Other than the 750i FTW, I wouldn't look at another N board except the 790i Ultra, and I don't want to spend that much.

Everybody knows that 680i boards were not stable. It was comon knowledge, especially being a poster here.

Nvidia still makes a better product and will continue to make a better product. However, running Crossfire on an Intel chipset must be nice.
I was an early adopter. I was not warned. Infact it was quite the opposite.

Those who say 4870 will just be an overclocked 4850, it may have been the case with 3870 vs 3850, but this time around, the 4870 will have gddr5 which is expected to be 80% faster than 4850's gddr3 memory, so it's not just a mere overclock.

I'd heard of stability issues with nvidia hardware, and i had a bad taste in my mouth because of horrid nforce drivers for my MSI Nforce2 platinum motherboard.

I'm still using my Epox Nforce board today, no problems in about 5 years of use. You either got some bad hardware or did something wrong

Nice setup! I have question. Where do you get the CrossFire bridge? I have a CrossFire capable motherboard, a FoxConnn P35A, but it did not come with the bridge. I'll wait to see what the 4870 brings to the table and if it looks good I my put two 4870x2 in it with a Q6600 that I'll try to get to 3GHz.

You get a crossfire bridge with each card you order

Back