Testing CPU/mb real quick without cooling?

eclypse

2[H]4U
Back in the day I've read about people doing this and I always thought it was crazy but now I'm in a spot where I want to test the new mb/CPU without active cooling.. just to see if I get a post.

I atleast have a water block (EK velocity) mounted. Just no water lines yet as I'll need a quick guide on YouTube first and time to get that done.

The CPU is a new delid and direct die mounted 9900k and a asus z390 extreme xi.

So possible $1125 bucks worth of stuff to go up in smoke if this isn't smart haha.

Just nervous that the CPU bad or the mount is not good.. long story.

Hate to get water lines on it and have to remove it all and replace or adjust the mount of it dont beep.

It'll likely shut itself down before it actually 'goes up in smoke'.

Do you have a basic heatsink/block cooler just to slap on? Even without mounting pressures?

The point is to test the water block contact with the direct die mount that's on there.

Block is mounted and liquid metal applied to the die ;).

Whoops, missed that second line.

In that case I'd say yes it'd be fine to test for a minute or so just to get a post

Its working!!! Hahaha and at 33c! And a slow climb.

Haha F yeah!!!

Freaked the crap out of me at first cause it turned on and then 3 secs later it shuts off! And then it turns on again and then shuts off!

So tripple pump post! Guess first post deal.

So freaking sweet!

Thanks Reaper for the super fast reply!!

Ah... what a day and time for a few beers as everything I did today fought me and I wont repeat it as I dont want to relive it again.

This build has kicked my ass and it will make me think hard about upgrading again next year.... for nothing as usual as the speed bump is never really worth it.

Haha nice. Goodluck with the rest!

Yeah first time boots usually reset 1-however many times, board/component dependant. It always scares me because I always forget this happens when I do a new build for a friend and I watch them as their face is like 'uhhh is that normal'. haha.

I did this once, but I put ice in a cardboard box. Then I put a fan to blow all that cold air at the CPU water block. It made the block very cold within seconds. Turned on the system and let the fan keep blowing cold air.

I did this once, but I put ice in a cardboard box. Then I put a fan to blow all that cold air at the CPU water block. It made the block very cold within seconds. Turned on the system and let the fan keep blowing cold air.

That's really not necessary. Just have the block on there and a fan blowing on it should easily give you enough time for a post. I've had a CPU with no cooling whatsoever on it and tested it to power on/post with a hand on the PSU switch.

Back