Tesla's Newest Driving Mode is 'Chill'

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Tesla streamed out a new software update to its electric vehicles this week; included is a new acceleration mode called simply "Chill." Not everyone is happy with it, but you can't please all the people all of the time. Check out the video of the car reviewer who found it starting at about the 3:17 point.

Watch video here.

Last edited:
Companies come out with electric steering instead of hydraulic, people complain its too jerky etc, company firmware flashes it to make it simulate hydraulic

Companies come out with CTV transmissions, people complain of lack of torque and "spirit", company firmware flashes "gears" so customers feel a kick every 15-20mph...

Then again Chevy did have that "150hp" key in the 90's for corvettes so you could give it to your kid on prom night or give it to a vallet.

Give MY Vette to a valet??? NO WAY. Hmmm, wait.... I now own a Bentley.

*few months back watches video of guy complaining about rear tires being burnt off Tesla too easy when accelerating

*today watches video of people still complaining after Tesla adds optional mode to reduce acceleration

Acceleration can also be controlled with that pedal by your right foot, but that doesn't make for good headlines.
Remember all those times where a tesla accelerated into a wall? This is their fix.

i would like to see battery numbers comparing chill to standard also just because the power curve is in the car doesn't mean you need to use it

i would like to see battery numbers comparing chill to standard also just because the power curve is in the car doesn't mean you need to use it

I was wondering this too, sounds like they just called their Eco mode something different than everyone else.

I was wondering this too, sounds like they just called their Eco mode something different than everyone else.
Realistically it would be a lower amp curve for acceleration which should translate to slight boost in milage and battery life span...

Also my car did 0-60 in 18 seconds the tesla does that in 5.6 seconds or 7 seconds in chill mode... Or if you get ludicrous mode unlocked 2.5 seconds...

I dont mind the "chill" mode moniker, or "standard"
But for fastest mode I would want a custom "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration" mode. Complete that with Blues Brother's music.

I like how the linked article says 7.2s for 0-60 is so slow that no one wants to drive like that...

My car doesn't do 0-60 that quickly.
It's ironic that americans call a car that does 0.60 in 7 seconds unbearably slow, and at the same time they trot around at 55mph on most of their highways. Yes, there are a few 65mph roads, but left lane hogging is even more rampant there than anywhere else I've seen. So yeah your 4 second cars are very useful in every day life.

Realistically it would be a lower amp curve for acceleration which should translate to slight boost in milage and battery life span...

Also my car did 0-60 in 18 seconds the tesla does that in 5.6 seconds or 7 seconds in chill mode... Or if you get ludicrous mode unlocked 2.5 seconds...
My truck and my car are both right around 11-12 on my 0-60. 7 seconds is pretty damn quick.
It's ironic that americans call a car that does 0.60 in 7 seconds unbearably slow, and at the same time they trot around at 55mph on most of their highways. Yes, there are a few 65mph roads, but left lane hogging is even more rampant there than anywhere else I've seen. So yeah your 4 second cars are very useful in every day life.
Eh? There’s a shit load of highways that are 70-80 too. Out in the desert some straight up have no limits. 55, 60, 65 are typically in cities where the traffic is heavier. And in Michigan at least 70 means 80 most of the time, in whichever lane is clear.

That guy is somewhat off putting. If you're gonna brag about stuff, brag about your daughter.

I like how the linked article says 7.2s for 0-60 is so slow that no one wants to drive like that...

My car doesn't do 0-60 that quickly.
I suppose when someone spends north of $100K on a sports car, they expect massive acceleration. Of course, they can just keep it in "standard" mode.

I suppose when someone spends north of $100K on a sports car, they expect massive acceleration. Of course, they can just keep it in "standard" mode.
The thing is, the car has massive acceleration. He's complaining about "ECO" mode being too slow.

There's a benefit to ramping up slowly, there's a lot less wear on both the motor and electronics. I wonder how much cushion Tesla has specified for, because from experience, an electric motor running even 10-20% below maximum operating output can really increase the longevity of the electronic controls - assuming they're paired correctly.
When the transistor modules powering an electrical motor start to go, one of the possible effects is that the power spike for the motor startup easily goes 2-3x beyond normal operating spec. In CNC machinery this typically trips an alarm to prevent potential damage.

Eh? There’s a shit load of highways that are 70-80 too. Out in the desert some straight up have no limits. 55, 60, 65 are typically in cities where the traffic is heavier. And in Michigan at least 70 means 80 most of the time, in whichever lane is clear.
Define shit ton 1% or 2%? It seems to me that most roads are 65 tops, but that may only be the case around the cities, I'don'T have first hand experience, but I've never heard about limitless roads. In fact one of my friends who did an east coast -west coast road trip there told me it's impossible to drive fast there, as most of everyone is going 55. And the cops are out to get you, especially if you're in a rental car. And don't even get me started about the fact that most roads have double yellow lines for no apparent reason, meaning no overtaking. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Define shit ton 1% or 2%? It seems to me that most roads are 65 tops, but that may only be the case around the cities, I'don'T have first hand experience, but I've never heard about limitless roads. In fact one of my friends who did an east coast -west coast road trip there told me it's impossible to drive fast there, as most of everyone is going 55. And the cops are out to get you, especially if you're in a rental car. And don't even get me started about the fact that most roads have double yellow lines for no apparent reason, meaning no overtaking. But correct me if I'm wrong.
My state the interstates are 80 unless you are passing through a town. The highways are 65. Most people getaway with going 90

My state the interstates are 80 unless you are passing through a town. The highways are 65. Most people getaway with going 90

Yeah in Texas it's pretty high speed limit on interstates. Everyone does 80-90. My radar detector barely gets used any more unless I'm travelling out of state.

wish it was like that here in washington.. in city it's 60 out of city it's 70.. i don't so much mind the in city speeds since you can travel through most cities here in under 10 minutes but out of city being able to go between here and seattle at 80 legally would be a whole lot nicer. as it is currently it's almost faster taking the train then it is to drive.

montana had area's where there was no speed limits just suggested speeds during the day but i believe that has changed since the last time i drove through it about 10 years ago.

90 on the 65 highway? or 90 on the 80 interstates?

55-65 isn't particularly slow, unless you're talking about km/h. Having driven around quite a bit of the eastern half of the US in the last 20 years, it's rare to find someone NOT doing at least 5-15 over if traffic isn't too heavy to slow them down, in which case even having a 100mph limit wouldn't help.

Back