Tesla Will Release a Pickup After the Model Y

..and here I am wanting to make it mandatory for everyone to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I'm adamant that it makes people pay more attention to their surroundings - or sorts out the problem in another way...

I'm all for this, as long as we get some mandatory exhaust noise level regulation. Their motors are no larger than those in a Civic. I want them to sound no more than a Civic :p

Can they make it not look hideous? I mean I get it, they want a futuristic look..but that..That is just a crime against the eyes.

I'm all for this, as long as we get some mandatory exhaust noise level regulation. Their motors are no larger than those in a Civic. I want them to sound no more than a Civic :p

Yes, for crying out loud,..put some noise regulations on these things. If I wanted to hear amplified chain saws running around, I would move to a logging camp.

Yes, for crying out loud,..put some noise regulations on these things. If I wanted to hear amplified chain saws running around, I would move to a logging camp.

I used to live near a road where people with motorcycles used to love revving as they raced by.

At 4 am some nights when I had to be at work the next day I used to fantasize about running outside and tying ropes across the road.

I never did, because didn't ACTUALLY want to kill anyone (or go to prison), but damn was I pissed, and damn would that have felt good.

Hehe, I know what you mean. Mine was waffle syrup. It is as slippery as snot, biodegradeable, and washes away quickly. :)

You know what car fetish the rest of the world has that we find retarded?

Under powered and unsafe tiny cars. I'm talking the smallest of the small (e.g. Smart FourTwo, Fiat 500, etc), cars so small we normally don't allow them off the golf courses or go-kart tracks.:D The few that make it to the USA become speed bumps since they are too small to see and because they don't have enough horsepower to safely pass the multitudes of 40 ton semi trucks on our highways. :p

Ya, I exaggerated just a little. But it is frightening when your average 4 door Honda has 3 times the HP of one of these sub-compact shit boxes that can barely accelerate fast enough to merge safely onto the highway with 40 ton monsters.

Right. Just for the sake of clarification. A Mini Coooper S has 1HP/12.3pounds and a standard size Ford F150 w/302V8 has 1HP/13.6pounds. Those are based on empty weight. Fill them all the fluids they need and the difference gets bigger.

I prefer a car which can avoid bad things, rather than relying on being able to hit stuff and take a chance on who will win. Different strokes, I suppose.

Right. Just for the sake of clarification. A Mini Coooper S has 1HP/12.3pounds and a standard size Ford F150 w/302V8 has 1HP/13.6pounds. Those are based on empty weight. Fill them all the fluids they need and the difference gets bigger.

I prefer a car which can avoid bad things, rather than relying on being able to hit stuff and take a chance on who will win. Different strokes, I suppose.

Did he say "mini cooper S" anywhere in his post?

Did you even read it?

Did he say "mini cooper S" anywhere in his post?

Did you even read it?

Yes, I did. Did you read it? "(e.g. Smart FourTwo, Fiat 500, etc)" and "the HP of one of these sub-compact shit boxes"

Thus my reply was specific to the Mini Cooper S and I clearly stated, "Just for the sake of clarification". As the Mini Cooper is a sub-compact, the response was appropriate to the post I responded to. Does that clear it up for you?

Yes, I can play the passive-aggressive game as well as the next guy. Your turn.

I actually thought I was providing information he (and many others) may not be aware of.

Last edited:
Yes, I did. Did you read it? "(e.g. Smart FourTwo, Fiat 500, etc)" and "the HP of one of these sub-compact shit boxes"

Thus my reply was specific to the Mini Cooper S and I clearly stated, "Just for the sake of clarification". As the Mini Cooper is a sub-compact, the response was appropriate to the post I responded to. Does that clear it up for you?

Yes, I can play the passive-aggressive game as well as the next guy. Your turn.

I actually thought I was providing information he (and many others) may not be aware of.

You are comparing a premium turbocharged sport model... ot a 14,000 dollar fiat 500. You can buy 2 fiats for the same price, and still have money left over.

A little common sense goes a long way.

I am not comparing a Fiat to a Mini Cooper. I am comparing a Mini Cooper to a Ford F150.

This is a wierd dance.

I still don't think you read his post:

they don't have enough horsepower to safely pass the multitudes of 40 ton semi trucks on our highways. :p

Ya, I exaggerated just a little. But it is frightening when your average 4 door Honda has 3 times the HP of one of these sub-compact shit boxes that can barely accelerate fast enough to merge safely onto the highway with 40 ton monsters.

So then you compare a premium turbocharged sport model to a fiat 500????? He's talking about acceleration of these 50hp crapboxes. Maneuverability or ramming effectiveness is not mentioned anywhere.

So for some reason you are comparing HP/Weight ? I don't see the relevance. But why not use a Zonda or FXX for the comparison. (this is a trick)

And I added, "Just for the sake of clarification" as he openly made a general statement about sub-compacts being shit boxes with no power. While I agree there are sub-compact shit boxes out there, I offered another sub-compact which is not a shit box.

He did not say, "Mini Coopers are the exception here".

Just a counter point. Nothing more. Still a wierd dance.

EDIT: If I had come in and started with "You are full of shit and here is why...", then I could see what your nitpicking about, but I did not do that. I plainly stated, "Just for the sake of clarification." and proceeded to bust out the Mini Cooper from the sub-compact generalization.
I really did a piss poor job of using the English language if I am having to go into such intricate detail to explain what my post means as it pertains to my intentions.

And I added, "Just for the sake of clarification" as he openly made a general statement about sub-compacts being shit boxes with no power. While I agree there are sub-compact shit boxes out there, I offered another sub-compact which is not a shit box.
I'm talking the smallest of the small, the horrendously underpowered and tiny subcompacts. I would have thought my description (especially mentioning the smart fourtwo) would have clued you in to what I was talking about. I'm not referring to the entire sub-compact category, as their are quite a few that stand out as stellar vehicles.

The original mini (non-S or Rally versions) from the 1960's might fit this qualification. The new mini coopers barely fit into the sub-compact category, and most definitely don't fit the underpowered qualification I set.

I will list a few more so there's less confusion.
Smart FourTwo
Fiat 500 (low-end non turbo and non-Abarth versions)
Mitsubishi Mirage
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Scion iQ
Chevy Spark

You can argue semantics all day about power to weight ratios etc. I feel these cars tread into the "unsafe for American highways" category for being too small and too underpowered. This is my opinion based on living in a crossroads city (Kansas City) that sees ridiculous amounts of Truck traffic.

I'm not even going to into motorcycles. Your average motorcycle may be dangerous, but even the slowest motorcycles rated for highway use can run circles around every car I listed.

He's talking about acceleration of these 50hp crapboxes.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. I was not trying to start a war. Your post made me curious and so I looked and shared information. Obviously, I stated it poorly, as it seems to have ruffled some feathers. My bad. I thought I was clearer than I actually seemed to be.

I agree the new Mini is borderline sub-compact. The one I used to compare was he R56. The previous generation which was smaller then the new one. Although I did not state that,...oops. My bad again.

I could for three for three....but I think that is enough shoe for the time being. Still full from Christmas dinner.

Sorry about that Verge. Apparently what was in my head and how it was taken were two very different animals.

Last edited:
Musky will have to do some serious research to make the pickup truck crowd happy at all. Lots of people are looking for SMALL pickups for Home Depot/Lowes/furniture and then there's the majority. The, "I need to tow 20 tons or it ain't worth shit to me" crowd. The people that want loaded trucks are rarely the ones that off-road or use the bed/hitch. They want to ride high and look down on people. I have a Tacoma and it's a bit large for me, but Toyota didn't win any awards from me for the engine & transmission. 25MPG on the freeway under ideal conditions. A lot of the pickup truck crowd want minimal features too. No autopilot, VSC, ABS, etc. Lots of little segments to consider. He'll probably have to target the rich again...

Scion iQ

Pretty sure i can push one of these over. They simply don't belong on an interstate at 70mph. They will be kill boxes if an accident occurs, and their slow speed can potentially cause accidents for others.

What these hippies fail to realize, is the truck that had to jake break in order to let you merge, will burn off the entire CO2 savings of your dumb smart car just re-accelerating back to highway speed.

Thought I might do some more comparisons, just for giggles. Base models with base engines used, except where noted.

2018 Mustang V6: 1HP/11.4 pounds
2018 Camaro Turbo 4: 1HP/12.1 pounds
R56 Mini Coooper S: 1HP/12.3 pounds
Ford Standard Cab F150 w/302V8: 1HP/13.6 pounds
Fiat Abarth: 1HP/15.7 pounds
2010 Mustang V6: 1HP/16.2 pounds
Honda Civic Hatchback: 1HP/17.3 pounds
R56 Mini Cooper: 1HP/20.9 pounds
Scion IQ: 1HP/22.6 pounds
Smart Fourtwo: 1HP/23.0 pounds
Fiat 500: 1HP/23.4 pounds
Mitsubishi Mirage: 1HP/25.8 pounds
Mitsubishi i-MiEV: 1HP/36.4 pounds*

* Electric or hybrids are more diffcult to quantify, in this manner, as electric motor peak torque is available the moment the motor starts turning, thus performance is better than what would be reflected in this comparison.

My R56 Mini is not an S, and I usually have to slow down due to traffic in front of me. Very frustrating on the onramps. Also frustrating in curves when people slow down and I am itching to blast through those curves. Then again, if I am in the Wife's 62 Corvette, they slow down just to look at the car.

Back