Terraria - Redirecting save files?

refraxion

[H]F Junkie
Hi guys, I need some help. I'm trying to make Terraria save it's files onto my storage drive instead of my OS drive (Default My Documents\My Games\Terraria), is there any easy way to do this?

Need help, thanks!

mklink /j <storage drive folder> <target>
ex :
mklink /j D:\Terraria C:\Users\(User)\Documents\My Games\Terraria

edit: was backwards

Last edited:
So the files that terraria saves will not save on the My Games\Terraria folder but instead the linked folder D:\Terraria?

Thanks!

Sorry I have that backwards, you need to move your Terraria files out of your documents folder and into your new save location then run the command the other way...

mklink /j D:Terraria C:\Users\(User)\Documents\My Games\Terraria

It keeps saying that the syntax is incorrect.

I am typing this for my drives.

C: (OS drive), and F: (Drive I want it to save to instead).

mklink /J C:\Users\(my username)\My Documents\My Games\Terraria F:\Documents\My Games\Terraria

says "The syntax of the command is incorrect"

Hmm.. I've looked at the site and still can't seem to get it working. What do you mean by moving the file into my F: drive? Just the terraria folder or?

Download a program called Link Shell Extension. It's a GUI(made part of Explorer so it's there when you right-click on a file) to do what is being recommended, which is create a hard-link. Comes with good documentation to get you on your way, and is a useful program to have around so you don't have to worry about typing something wrong.
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Last edited:
Hm.. so I downloaded that app. I got the junction to work, but it's now saving at both places? Is there any way for me to save it only on the F: drive instead of my C: drive?

It's not actually saving on the C:, it just looks like it. It's being saved to the place where you created the link. It has to look like the file is in the original spot because that's where the program expects to see it.

Oh, so just to be clear (Sorry, lol new to symlinks!)

I right clicked on my Terraria folder (C:\Users\(username)\My Documents\My Games\Terraria and chose pick link source.

Then I went to my F: drive (F:\Documents\My Games\Terraria) and right clicked and dropped as junction.

Is that correct? Thanks!! :) Symlinks is pretty awesome!

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!

One more thing, if I were to put my save files into the directory, would I put it on the F: drive or the C: drive? Or does it matter?

It still seems like space is being occupied by my C: drive when using the symlink -- is that supposed to happen?

Windows will still think the file is on the C:. including taking it into account when determining free space.

I would drop it to the C: and then link to F:. To get around this, instead of linking single files, link the whole directory that the games uses for it saves.

Edit: Before deleting links(if you ever need to), make a backup of the file. It shouldn't be an issue, but it's still a precaution I recommend.

Last edited:
Back