Terminal question

tacosareveryyummy

Supreme [H]ardness
I typically run alot of programs using the terminal rather than through the gui interface. When I run say firefox, everything works great, but the terminal becomes unavailable to anymore commands until I close the program. I would like to run a program and then be able to continue using the same terminal rather than have to open a new one for each program. Is there a way to do this?

ctrl-z, then run "bg" to background the job

Edit: But it would be wiser, probably, to bind a hotkey in your window manager to launch firefox.

'<app> &' same thing.

Also, theres application launchers for thiese things. KDE/Gnome etc all come with one, icewm/lxde have one built within the panel 'mod+space' and for the once that dont there is bashrun that you can install separately or my favorite, dmenu.

application & will work, but you might still get messages from the application in the terminal and lose what you're trying to work on amongst them.

job management is different depending on what shell you're using, best thing to do is look up some manuals or guides to whatever shell you may be using.

If you are using bash, then just put an ' &' after the command, as mentioned. Also, for running multiple programs from one console, look at 'screen'. Screen is essential in my book.

Check out gmrun. Assign it to a hotkey, type the command you want to run and let it do it's thing. No sense starting it from the terminal itself.

I dont know if you are using gnome, but you can open additional terminals in tabs with the gnome terminal.

Back