Temps

DREW10

Weaksauce
I have a thermalright SLK-900A.....running a 2400+...not OCed
It is running at 50 idle, 54 load, 40 case, 80F ambient.....
I have a gigabyte MOBO and i think the temps are messed up, but even if they were -10C, that would still be 40 idle :confused: ....and im using arctic silver 5....
it that to high????????????

DREW

Either its wrong or you room is very hot, whats the temperature in your room? Also have you tried reseating/reapply your HSF & AS5?

the room is 80F....not C....I have reseated and reaplyed the HSF & AS5 about 3 times........
I only have 2 80mm fans and the 92mm HSF fan....i think i might duct the 92mm fan so its drawing air from outside....you think that'll help.....

DREW

thought I would pop in on this thread: I have an xp 2700 and I just replaced the stock hsf (that came with the thermal tape) with an slk-900a and an 80mm panaflo (one of the quiet ones but still, that pushes what, 23-28cfm?) and my temps went up like a rocket. Keep in mind that I didn't use as5, I used the thermal grease that came with the slk (ok, I forget as5 and was too impatient to wait for it to ship after already receiving the hs), but I still think that should be better then the default thermal tape junk. My load temps were already high with the stock setup but with the slk and the panaflo they went up to 65 from 60 and after 10+ minutes at idle the cpu temp was still 57c (as opposed to the stock hsf where the temps would drop down to my idle 45c pretty quickly). Bear in mind that I was really happy when I first turned on the pc as my idle temp had dropped down to about 38c and my case idle temp had dropped down to 31c from about 38c but that lasted up until the second I loaded up prime95.

What the hell is going on here? I can't imagine that a much better hs with an 80mm fan and thermal grease vs. the "thermal interface material" and stock hsf would be that much worse....?!?!? (and no suggestions of as5 please, b/c I really doubt that as5 would bring my temps down 10c).

DREW10 said:
I have a thermalright SLK-900A.....running a 2400+...not OCed
It is running at 50 idle, 54 load, 40 case, 80F ambient.....
I have a gigabyte MOBO and i think the temps are messed up, but even if they were -10C, that would still be 40 idle :confused: ....and im using arctic silver 5....
it that to high????????????

DREW

Check G-bytes website fopr a bios update, they have been known to have temp issues...also go over this checklist:
Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidelines.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the heatsink.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher than specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several board have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months.

MD

Back