Temps WAY too high

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got my BFG 6800GT and installed it. It's running at 75C on the desktop, and 47C ambient. That is way too high. I'm using 71.84 drivers, what can I do to lower my temperatures?

I also have a low 3D Mark 2003 at 7008.
And a low video stress test in CS:S at:
99.6fps at 1280 x 1024 w/ 4xFSAA and 8xAF.
113.4fps at 1024 x 768 w/ no FSAA or AF.

What the hell is wrong with my card? I should be up around 10000 3D Mark 2003, and at least 125/140 for the stress test.

There are some problems with 71.84 and a few other forcewares, try overclock 2D core to 400.

47c ambient temp are pretty hot, you'll need a better ventilated case, put some more fan or something.

ech3lon9 said:
There are some problems with 71.84 and a few other forcewares, try overclock 2D core to 400.

You'll need a better ventilated case, put some more fan or something.
I tried that, no significant change. I have a 350w Enermax PSU with a 26A 12V rail. As well as 2 120mm fans ventilating my case.

Update: I just installed the 75.90 beta drivers. And the temps went down only slightly, and I got 118fps in CS stress test at 1024 x 768 with no eye candy. Anyone know why it's running so hot?

What reasolution was your 3DMark 03 run at ? Because it will only go over 10000 at
1024 x 768. That would be good if you ran it at 1280 x 1024 or at 1024 x 768 with AA or AF on.
As far as the CS stress test that it what it should be at and better with your setup. Check out this link.
CS Stress Test Results Comparison
And the temp should be lower than 75c at the idle. My 6800 GTO when I got it it ran at 72c at
idle until I instaled a pci blower fan and moved it to a more ventilated place. Now I runs 59c idle and 75c UNDER EXTREME LOAD ONLY which is great. Any way 6800 GT' s or GTO's or
Ultra's all run a little hot with stock cooling.

P.S. How does it game ?

Your AMBIENT temp is the root of the problem.
47C is about 15C too high.
Your GPU temp will always be about 20C higher than the ambient temp (unless you water cool) so lowering the ambient should lower your GPU temp.

mentok1982 said:
Your AMBIENT temp is the root of the problem.
47C is about 15C too high.
Your GPU temp will always be about 20C higher than the ambient temp (unless you water cool) so lowering the ambient should lower your GPU temp.
Ambient means temperature around the card, correct? So would installing a fan that blows directly on the card in my plastic case windows help?

just checking.. but how do you have the fans set up? front one sucking in air and the back one blowing it out? what are the fans rated at .. I had to do some serious hunting to find some beefy 120mm fans cause what I had were pretty poor.. got better fans never had another problem.

do you have the BFG with the 2 smaller fans? If so that cooling system is one of the worst out there, my BFG came with that cooler and my load temps were up around the mid 70's.

Not sure if you want to do this or not, but you can install the NV5 arctic cooler. My load temps dropped down to 60-62C (load) and 50-52 idle (38 ambient)

LordVampyre said:
just checking.. but how do you have the fans set up? front one sucking in air and the back one blowing it out? what are the fans rated at .. I had to do some serious hunting to find some beefy 120mm fans cause what I had were pretty poor.. got better fans never had another problem.
I have an Antec Super Lanboy case, which came with one Blue LED 120mm fan in the front (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15001) which is rated at 1200rpm, 38.94CFM, and 24.85dBA. The front fan blows air into the case. The rear fan is a regular Antec 120mm which blows air out of the case. Both fans are called "low speed" on Antec's site, so I assume that they both move the same amount of air at 38.94CFM.

I was thinking of putting a fan on the window to cool the card, which position would work better: http://www.blizzforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12894

Update: I reverted back to the 66.93 drivers, with some moderate success.

Temps fell about 10 degrees while idling to about 63-64 degrees celsius. And my benchmarks rose to over 11000 in 3D Mark 2003. That is probably also due to the fact that I switched the IQ to high performance instead of quality. What IQ did you guys have on when you got high scores in 3D Mark 2003?

I'm also kind of disappointed with the CS:S performance of the 66.93. It's pretty good but it does dip down into the 30s-40s in some areas for no apparent reason. What drivers should I use? It becomes clear to me that the 71.84 temp readings are faulty, and not worthwhile. I'm convinced that my card has pretty good temps now, and they'll likely be even better when I install that new fan. But what drivers are best for CS:S?

Back