Temperature Guage

dtac7

n00b
My case has a front lcd that displays the temperature. Do I put the temp. strip in between the spokes on the bottom of my AMD 64 chip?

By spokes you mean pins right? lol

And no, you put it in between the processor and the heat sink.

Ya pins.

Do you get it to stick by using thermal grease? Or do you just try to hold it in place while fastening the cooler?

dont do that... it was poccible on the athlon-xp line but a64s are much too dense... the probe goes ontop of the cpu not under it... think about socket 939..

hmm i wasnt thinking straight.. i was thinking the probe was designed to be put between the heat sink and cpu but looking at it closer now that i am more coherent.. yea.. the only place you can really put that probe is literaly in the heat sink..

dtac7 said:
My case has a front lcd that displays the temperature. Do I put the temp. strip in between the spokes on the bottom of my AMD 64 chip?

Haha, my friend has a Barton 2800+, and he put TWO temperature sensors in this way. The wires weave inbetween the pins and the sensors are in the middle empty square. I think he's crazy.

I am sort of curious to hear some more responses on this too. I always put my gauge on the back of my video card opposite the gpu or on a hdd (neither being very accurate at all, but hey...), since I can monitor cpu, sys, etc from the BIOS or bundled motherboard software.

As stated before, don't put the sensor directly between the heatsink and the processor; they are designed to be positioned on the heatsink or the side of the chip, depending on your heatsink solution.

Would you put a heatsink on a processor without using thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5? Of course not. Likewise, you wouldn't want to obstruct the thermal conductivity between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of your processor by putting a temp. diode in the middle.

Depending on your heatsink, you may have enough room to put the thermal sensor underneath the heatsink but not on top of the processor (either on the side of the CPU or the bottom of the heatsink). You want to avoid any wiring that would prevent a flush contact between the heatsink and the processor, so you may not be able to put the temp sensor below the heatsink depending on the particular way your heatsink is mounted and whether or not the wires would prevent the intended seating.

Are you using a stock AMD 64 heatsink/fan?

If you can't put the wires underneath the heatsink, place the temp. sensor towards the base of the heatsink after it is mounted on the processor. You won't be getting as precise a temperature, but you also won't be risking the health of your CPU.

sadvocate said:
As stated before, don't put the sensor directly between the heatsink and the processor; they are designed to be positioned on the heatsink or the side of the chip, depending on your heatsink solution.

Would you put a heatsink on a processor without using thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5? Of course not. Likewise, you wouldn't want to obstruct the thermal conductivity between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of your processor by putting a temp. diode in the middle.

Depending on your heatsink, you may have enough room to put the thermal sensor underneath the heatsink but not on top of the processor (either on the side of the CPU or the bottom of the heatsink). You want to avoid any wiring that would prevent a flush contact between the heatsink and the processor, so you may not be able to put the temp sensor below the heatsink depending on the particular way your heatsink is mounted and whether or not the wires would prevent the intended seating.

Are you using a stock AMD 64 heatsink/fan?

If you can't put the wires underneath the heatsink, place the temp. sensor towards the base of the heatsink after it is mounted on the processor. You won't be getting as precise a temperature, but you also won't be risking the health of your CPU.

AMD Athlon 2500+ with stock heatsink/fan.

How do you attach the sensor to the base of the heatsink. It seems to keep falling off. Do you try to glue it with thermal grease?:)

dtac7 said:
AMD Athlon 2500+ with stock heatsink/fan.

How do you attach the sensor to the base of the heatsink. It seems to keep falling off. Do you try to glue it with thermal grease?:)

I'd recommend thermal tape. You might've received a patch of it with the sensor. Otherwise, you can find it online easy enough.

Back