Tell me about frontrow.

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
I'm curious, how does this compare to the windows MCE offerings?

I'm thinking about a MacMini Core Duo with FrontRow as a media PC. What do you guys think?

I've played around with it on an iMac, I really don't think its that great IMO. I haven't played around with windows MCE so I can't really compare though. You can watch trailers, movies you have on dvd or on your HD, no tv functions (I don't think), you can access your itunes library, and look at your photos, and that's about it.

Best bet: If there's an apple store near you, go to it and check it out.

alphaone said:
I've played around with it on an iMac, I really don't think its that great IMO. I haven't played around with windows MCE so I can't really compare though. You can watch trailers, movies you have on dvd or on your HD, no tv functions (I don't think), you can access your itunes library, and look at your photos, and that's about it.

Best bet: If there's an apple store near you, go to it and check it out.

It still needs some work. Also if I remember right the remote that comes with the macs doesn't really have a good range(I haven't played with the new ones so guys chime in if I'm wrong). It seems to be a pretty good setup to play movies and audio but it is not anyway near media center yet.

The movieplayer for frontrow needs some additional codec support. Fresh out of the box you cant play divx, ogg, and a whole lot of others.

synergyo1 said:
The movieplayer for frontrow needs some additional codec support. Fresh out of the box you cant play divx, ogg, and a whole lot of others.
You install those codecs.. and it will play everything. Its not like Apple is goin to bundle Divx, xvid, etc..

I think Front Row needs some more capability. Some ability to customize the interface and even iPhoto feels limited through Front Row.

All I want to be able to do is play movies from my windows based file server. If it can view pictures and play music that would be a bonus... but I really just wanted a pc based video player so you can double the functionality.

synergyo1 said:

you cant play any of those out of the box w/ mce either

Back