Tears of the Kingdom's Launch Is Even Being Celebrated by PlayStation and Xbox

erek

[H]F Junkie
Impressive launch

"If you want to hear more about Tears of the Kingdom, check out the latest episode of Nintendo Voice Chat, where the NVC crew has over an hour-long (and spoiler-free) review discussion. Or check out our story about how the Ascend Ability was originally a cheat code for developers.

We also have you covered with a full walkthrough of Tears of the Kingdom, the best things to do first, a guide on what the game doesn't (but maybe should) tell you, and handy explainers on how to import your Breath of the Wild horses, how to unlock the full map, and so much more."

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/tears-...even-being-celebrated-by-playstation-and-xbox

Please point out the "Gaming News" forum.

Screenshot_20230512-174112490 (1).jpg

Sounds like the game's so good, it might actually need its own subforum in the gaming section.

If not for all the yard work I need to get finished, I'd probably have grabbed a copy too.

Sounds like the game's so good, it might actually need its own subforum in the gaming section.

If not for all the yard work I need to get finished, I'd probably have grabbed a copy too.
🙂

So much work is getting in the way of my gaming. I keep buying games without even touching them due to my schedule, even on my breaks it's just catching up with projects around the house.
I'll eventually figure a schedule, and I'll be playing many of my games, including TOTK.

So much work is getting in the way of my gaming. I keep buying games without even touching them due to my schedule, even on my breaks it's just catching up with projects around the house.
I'll eventually figure a schedule, and I'll be playing many of my games, including TOTK.

That is not a fix when you have to jail break your switch and overclock which might end up frying it sooner or later..
The Switch has an underclocked chip, so I don't think it'll do any damage. Assuming you have good enough cooling, it's no problem.

The Switch has an underclocked chip, so I don't think it'll do any damage. Assuming you have good enough cooling, it's no problem.
Even so. You still have to jail break it. That is only possible on old switches. I haven't kept up with it but can the newer ones even be hacked yet?

Even so. You still have to jail break it. That is only possible on old switches. I haven't kept up with it but can the newer ones even be hacked yet?
The pre 2018 ones are easily hackable, and every year after that you significantly increase your likelihood of bricking it instead. But yes you can firmware flash them all the way out to the 2022 refresh, just not for the faint of heart.

How hard is it to buy a copy and turn it into a ROM? I won't buy a switch but I wouldn't mind emulating it. I'm not even sure what the format is for physical switch games.

How hard is it to buy a copy and turn it into a ROM? I won't buy a switch but I wouldn't mind emulating it. I'm not even sure what the format is for physical switch games.
Not hard from what I've read, but you need a switch. Physical games come on an SD like card, on cartridges.

As far as I know they aren't hackable. I have an older Swtich so I get away with it.
Can the Switch's cooling handle the chip at full speed?
I modded my Switches cooling, and by modded I removed the crap Nintendo put and used thermal paste with some aluminum tape to make sure air generated doesn't leak out. Hardly gets warm.

Last edited:
Reactions: kac77
like this
As far as I know they aren't hackable. I have an older Wwtich so I get away with it.

I modded my Switches cooling, and by modded I removed the crap Nintendo put and used thermal paste with some aluminum tape to make sure air generated doesn't leak out. Hardly gets warm.
Yea a typical switch owner is not doing all that.

As far as I know they aren't hackable. I have an older Wwtich so I get away with it.

I've thought about ripping mine open but I figure it's not worth the trouble since I barely use it. I take it Nintendo used the cheapest paste or pads they could?

Can the Switch's cooling handle the chip at full speed?
Dock mode speed? Of course. You can force it to run in dock mode speed even though you’re using it in handheld mode if you crack it. You just have poor batter life. The dock doesn’t help cool the switch any.

All mariko switches (V2, OLED, Lite) can be hacked with some soldering, a RP2040 zero and a couple resistors and mosfets. It's true that unpatched v1's are immensely easier, but it's not impossible on the newer revision, just more work.

Yea a typical switch owner is not doing all that.
Typical Switch owner won't be modding it and overclocking either.
I've thought about ripping mine open but I figure it's not worth the trouble since I barely use it. I take it Nintendo used the cheapest paste or pads they could?
They used something I've seen in older setups, where there's a thin layer of copper with some thermal paste on both sides. Most guides won't remove the thin copper layer but I did that immediately and it cools far better.

Dock mode speed? Of course. You can force it to run in dock mode speed even though you’re using it in handheld mode if you crack it. You just have poor batter life. The dock doesn’t help cool the switch any.
Full speed for the X1, Nintendo underclocked the chip significantly as far as I know.

Typical Switch owner won't be modding it and overclocking either.

They used something I've seen in older setups, where there's a thin layer of copper with some thermal paste on both sides. Most guides won't remove the thin copper layer but I did that immediately and it cools far better.
I see. What are you able to get the clocks up to?

Full speed for the X1, Nintendo underclocked the chip significantly as far as I know.

I see. What are you able to get the clocks up to?
I would think just running the chip with dock mode clocks while using it portable with the 720p resolution would be enough to improve the performance substantially.

I would be very hesitant to exceed dock mode clocks. The OLED model in particular they slimmed down the cooling solution from the original Switch, which has fairly beefy cooling as the first version models had the original SOC which ran hotter.

Back