system won't turn on? Help diagnose?

-Sn1PeR-

2[H]4U
My system is in my sig, it is probably 3 weeks old. I went out of town for 3 days and had the system turned off, now I come home boot it up, start up SWG(Star Wars Galaxies) and the the computer shuts down about 2seconds into the game. Now for the real problem, the power button does nothing. I unplug wait for a few mins and try again, the lights in the fans turn on for maybe 1/2 a second and then everything turns off and again the power button does nothing, same thing looping over and over again. Where do I start? I am so @#$#@ pissed off now. If this is the mobo's fault I'm going to kill chaintech, they already lied about what kind of ram this mobo can support, fyi it will NOT take 2x 512 DDR400 Corsair XMS -- but will work w/ 2x PC3500(which was not officially supported at time of purchase, and only at DDR400 speeds). I'm getting sick of all this, please help me out.

well not getting into to much stuff right off the bat do you have it pluged into a surge protector have you tried changing wall outlets simple stuff to check have you tested it with a new power supply ?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS jumper on the MB ? Just to make sure a setting hasn't changed in the bios. If you reset it and still see the problem you may have simply had something go bad on you. Or the bios is activating some kind of protection circuitry because it thinks the CPU temps are too high, fan not spinning , etc.

I know several people run the Chaintech boards, but personally I would not. That's simply a personal preference.

Your power button might be screwed up. Just a guess though, it happened to me and I didn't know what the heck was posessing it. Try disconnecting the power button and then just jump starting it. Be careful though.

I've changed wall jacks/surge protectors etc, have not changed power supplies bc I don't have one that will work with this mobo(it has that crazy 2x2 connector to the mainboard in addition to the standard atx. Going to reset the cmos jumpers and check the rest of the stuff as suggested and post back.

going to RMA it and mail it off tomorrow.. back to newegg it goes :( I'm never buying another chaintech mobo again.

when I RMA something w/ newegg do I need to send back all the cables etc that come in the mobo bundle or just the mobo? I assume I will just be getting a mobo back. It's a "repair rma" bc it's after 30days! Bah!

new developement: it only does this when the 2x2 power cable is plugged into the mobo, w/o it it still wont turn on but at least the fans and such turn on.

Sounds like a board issue to me personally but who knows. So many things could go into your machine not turning on. :(

All Athlon 64 boards need the additional +12v (4 pin) connecter plugged in to operate. I'm surprised yours even turns on without it.

How old is your PSU? Sounds like either a defective PSU or the motherboard has taken a crap!

I was running a 450Watt PSU for about a year and a half and it took a crap last week. It did the exact same thing you are describing. Try plugging another power supply in just to test. Like I said... it sounds exactly the same as what was happening to me. I went and got another 450watt PSU and plugged it in and wala... no more problems. I got my money out of it I suppose.

wtf, the SAME thing happened to me! I was running a Shuttle Nforce3 150 board, and one day it just WOULD NOT turn on, i'm still to get my RMA from newegg tho :(

well I am waiting for my rma to come back from newegg... then we will see if it's the psu or the mobo :( I'm ready to put an end to all this!

Back