System stability...

NeonFlak

Limp Gawd
To make a long story short I've been using the same two 512mb sticks of pc3200 since pc3200 hit the stores. It has always been able to at least run 200fsb+. Now with my Aopen ak86-L and athlon 64 with both sticks in the system no matter what timings or voltages I use they won't run stable anything over about 148fsb. But one at a time they are both good for over 200fsb except one will only do it at 2.5latency and one will do it at 2.0 latency both at default voltage. My main question is would it be "better" to stick with a gig of ram even though I can't get it to run higher than 148fsb or would it be better to stick with the faster of the two sticks and have 512mb of ram at over 200fsb.

Thanks,
NeonFlak

Is the board new???

If so, it would be better to RMA the board for a new one. If these things were working at 200 in a given board and stopped doing so in that board, then I would return the memory. Most memory has lifetime warranty unless it was a no-name manufacturer.

Depends on what you do. Chances are you'll be better off with 512MB going faster. Many people here recommend 1GB of RAM, but it's not necessarily. In fact, in VERY few cases will it even help.

Back