System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition

never played a system shock game. I wonder if I would enjoy it without the nostalgia

I refunded it kinda stale waiting on Judas.
1697823529619.png

i'm getting it regardless since i preordered SS Remake but this does appear to be one of the laziest ports they're made. the version that's currently available on Steam already has the "New Dark" fan made patch so it runs well on modern PCs with surround sound + EAX emulation so... i'm not seeing much that's actually enhanced here. like couldn't they have added in some real time shadows or something to really spice up the visuals?

but hey, at least it's something. if nothing else it'll be cool to have those HORRIBLY crunchy FMV segments remastered/remade to not rape my eyeballs.

i'm getting it regardless since i preordered SS Remake but this does appear to be one of the laziest ports they're made. the version that's currently available on Steam already has the "New Dark" fan made patch so it runs well on modern PCs with surround sound + EAX emulation so... i'm not seeing much that's actually enhanced here. like couldn't they have added in some real time shadows or something to really spice up the visuals?

but hey, at least it's something. if nothing else it'll be cool to have those HORRIBLY crunchy FMV segments remastered/remade to not rape my eyeballs.
The trailer looks a lot better than the original running on the NewDark patch, in my opinion.

The trailer looks a lot better than the original running on the NewDark patch, in my opinion.
I'm giving Nightdive the benefit of the doubt here for two reasons.

1 - The very obvious fact that this game is extremely beloved by so many PC gamers. Nightdive has a resume of solid remasters, and I'm hopeful they wouldn't just suddenly get lazy here of all places (especially hot off the heels of SSR when the hype train for this IP is rolling again).
2 - Nightdive was already responsible for securing the rights to SS2 and officially re-releasing it years ago with the currently available version of System Shock 2 that's on Steam and GOG, right? I'm not sure why they would expend considerable resources only to port the game and re-release essentially the same title running on the KEX engine. Regardless, any additional work being done on SS2 by competent folks is certainly welcome. My hope is that Nightdive's SS2: EE becomes the official "definitive" edition of the O.G. SS2 and it's just a morsel they're dropping on the path towards a full SS2R. Hey, a man's gotta have dreams!

Back