SXGA+ or WXGA?

Skud

Gawd
Which one would you have.

I'm looking at getting one of the new Asus M6000 series notebooks with a centrino 1.4 and a 64MB 9600.

The SXGA is 15.1" and the WXGA is 15.4".

There is ~$20 difference between them.

I'm leaning towards the SXGA+ for the higher res. Is there anything else I should know about that would effect my descision?

Riley

The greater the screen resolution, the more pixels there are on the screen and the greater the amount of video RAM that is required for optimum performance. In my opinion, 64MB of video RAM is marginal for a WSXGA+ screen but is fine for a WXGA screen.

Also, notebook screens look best when driven at their native full-screen resolution. However, the performance of a particular GPU (such as an ATI 9600) decreases as the screen resolution increases. You would be able to run games in native resolution at higher frame rates on a WXGA screen than on a WSXGA+ screen. Remember that though the ATI 9600 is tops in notebook performance, it is only a mid-range GPU in desktop computer terms.

I have a WXGA screen and I find it just right for me. Text is small but not too small to be easily read.

Back