switching AMD

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
i have a 2100 amd in my pc right now with an ecs k7s5a pro. my friend has a barton 2600+ and i was wondering if i could run it in the ecs. he has an asus

i thought that board only went to 133fsb and the barton 2600+ is 166fsb, correct me if im wrong. that would also require pc2700 memory and that board only supports pc2100

Originally posted by chuckm1020
i thought that board only went to 133fsb and the barton 2600+ is 166fsb, correct me if im wrong. that would also require pc2700 memory and that board only supports pc2100

correct, that board only supports up to a Tbred 2600 (the 266 FSB model 2.133ghz). Not the Barton cores.

not necesarily, with an updated BIOS ur mobo could handle the barton just like any other mobo...just dont be expecting a good overclock

wow some1 who knows wut there talking about, thanks fo that (not saying that u others r stupid just dont know as much as this guy does)

Originally posted by ST|FFY
not necesarily, with an updated BIOS ur mobo could handle the barton just like any other mobo...just dont be expecting a good overclock

What, do you think every Socket A motherboard can handle a Barton? I'm gonna have to try one on my old KT133 motherboard thats around here somewhere. :rolleyes:

Come on guys, read what he has for hardware, an ECS K7S5A Pro which means no 333MHz bus support. So stop it will all of the Barton talk. The highest the motherboard will run is a 2600+ T-Bred Athlon XP. If you got the money to spair then go ahead and get the 2600+ but it's not really going to be that much faster than your 2100+.

You would be better to replace your motherboard with a newer one that supports a 333 and 400 MHz CPU bus. This would be more of a given instead of a CPU upgrade since you already have DDR RAM with that K7S5A. What type/speed of DDR RAM do you have. PC2100, PC2700? I would easily suggest the Albatron KX18D PRO or the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra nViida NForce 2 Ultra 400 motherboards. Both are inexpensive and offer excellent perofrmance and some overclocking options. Then see how fast your Athlon XP 2100 and your DDR RAM can go. :)

Be careful as to which 2600+/266 processor that you may be buying!

Actually, all 2600+'s manufactured today are of the Barton core. Which means that all of the current 2600+'s use a 333FSB. So you won't be able to run that CPU on your ECS motherboard - it either won't boot up at all, or it will function poorly.

Let me re-iterate on the three different AMD Athlon XP 2600+ CPUs that were ever produced:

• 2.13GHz (16 x 133MHz), Thoroughbred core, 266FSB
  • 2.08GHz (12.5 x 166MHz), Thoroughbred core, 333FSB
  • 1.91GHz (11.5 x 166MHz), Barton core, 333FSB

Of the processors listed in the above list, your ECS can support only the first one on that list.

Also, don't expect to use any of the current 2000+'s and 2400+'s, either, even if they still use a 266FSB - both of those are now of the Thorton core, which is (essentially) a Barton core with half of its L2 cache disabled.

Thus, in your case, you're either stuck with that 2100+, or you'll have to hunt the used (or NOS*) market for a T-Bred 2600+/266 CPU.

*NOS = New Old Stock

the ECS k7s5a DOES have a 1/5 divider. but if you were to OC a tbred/palomino to 166fsb, it USUALLY has to be done thru a windows program ie. speedfan, CPUFSB.

but as for barton support, it may not boot.

www.ocworkbench.com forums is the BEST place to get info on ECS boards since hardcore modders constanly mod cheap ECS boards for fun.

ill make it easier by saying im just going to buy a new mobo that will suport it so thanks for all of the help i really did need it to know if i was going to blow up my ecs (i really dont care if it does its a piece of crap newaz)

Originally posted by E4g1e

Also, don't expect to use any of the current 2000+'s and 2400+'s, either, even if they still use a 266FSB - both of those are now of the Thorton core, which is (essentially) a Barton core with half of its L2 cache disabled.

Thus, in your case, you're either stuck with that 2100+, or you'll have to hunt the used (or NOS*) market for a T-Bred 2600+/266 CPU.
[/size]

its the clock speed it can suport not realy the core.basicly he can run a 2400 thorton since it runs @ 266 fsb and as long as the multi is under 16 it will work. may detect the cpu as unkown

The underlying fact is though, that you will not get a great boost in performance, so the fact that the chip will or will not work is a moot point. Spend the money instead on a nice new board such as the DFI Infinity or ABIT NF7-S.

Back