Swifttech mcp655-b strong enough

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
Hello long time poster on some other forums i let my acount here get deleted i guess sence i needed to create a new one. On to my questions i just moved my stuff to a CoreX71 and changed a rad and added a rad im running a xspc rx240, koolance coolstream xt 420 and a Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Radiator 360 with a koolance 380i cpu block and 2 gpu blocks on my 7970s also added 6 90 angle fittings to the loop noted 2 are on my drain line. Using CoolerMaster Masterfan Pro 120 Air Pressure in push on my 360 and push pull on the 240 and on my 420 im using Noctua A14 FLX fans in push. My 2600k@4800mhz with 1.49vcore never passes 60c on normal gaming and around 77c running linx. My gpus hit 43c and 46c gaming or benchmarking. The thing worries me is it seems to take much longer to cool down now then it did befor once everything is warmed up. My previous setup was a rx360 and rx240 with yate loons in push pull in a modded rocketfish case cpu hit 85c in linx and around 70-75c gaming tho they system had no 90s and less tubing then it does now i wonder if my pump is having problems now sence i added the 420 and the 90s with a few foot or so of more tubing.

how my system is currently setup

Welcome! I saw our setup on Overclock and think it's pretty sweet. First, the fact that you changed case, layout, and fans means that there isn't a real parallel between old and new loops anymore. The difference in airflow or restriction could be it in itself, and the extra amount of water in the expanded loop should slow temperature change both directions... I'm leaning toward the fans going from push / pull to single sided (even with the extra rad) might be it, but what is your pump, and is the water murky in the res (up in the bay to the upper right)?

waters been clean iv done mutiple drains clean everytime pump is a Swifttech mcp655-b in a xspc bay res, i just installed a exhaust fan in the rear sence the rads are all pulling air in. Would adding 4 90s in the loop and 2 on drain line cause my pump to slow down and let water warm up faster ?

Fans could be a issue im not a fan of these cm fans i got have them turned down to 40% cause they are just way to loud my old yate loons even with half of them broke seemed to put out more air at less noise. But i did try running them at 100% and temps really didnt change much at all if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything in the drain line (not flowing actively) can't be an issue at all. An extra exhaust fan assisting the overall flow through the intake rads (they are all intake, right? I think they are...) can't hurt and might well help a couple of degrees, and the four 90 degree fittings shouldn't put too much load on your pump, unless it's really weedy. What kind of pump do you have?

Oh *facepalm* I just realized what those symbols in the thread header are (I herp the derp today). I'd think that's plenty of pump for that loop. Your CPU block isn't very restrictive, and going on the flat out assumption that the video blocks aren't either, I'd go out on a limb and say that more / better airflow will speed up the cooldown after load, or put the fans on an auto setting if available...

Is the pump running full speed?

Ah- I understand the fan thing, my rad have EK (whatever before Varder), and a few Riings. The EK are quiet, but only turn about 1.2k, and the Riings are (luckily) quiet ate 50%...

yea i just added 2 more fans to top rad couldnt fit 3 cause of bay res will see if it helps i thought just having the 420 would drop temps or very least keep temps closer to befor with less fans. Wierd thing my gpu2 is always 3-6c warmer it seems like befor they were within 1c of each other idle and load. Money i dumped into switching cases id been better off keeping my old ugly case lol.

After adding the 2 fans ran linx for 15mins cpu tops out at 75c with fans on 40% not to bad with amount of vcore im using. My gpus didnt sky rocket up either so im making progress i dont like how it looks now lol but gota use what works i guess.

Also seems to be idling at a much lower temp now then it was befor.

Cool, and if one GPU is different than the other / before- I'd consider a flush sometime. I cant think of anything other than a blocked channel.

And, when upgrade fever strikes, there are often no other options... And it's a sweet looking rig!

thankyou for the help yea it dont look as good with added fans in push lol but least its cooling better gpu are staying closer now but i still worry i might have a blockage cause they rise more then they did at idle now. Tho the new cpu block could be dumping alot more heat into the loop then my old rasa did but my loop should handle it no problem. I plan on getting a 1080 or 1070 with my taxes so might not matter much down the road.

Well, that much rad should really handle any block... Heck, I'm only running a 240 and a 140, and it keeps my CPU and a single GPU happy enough while F@H... But I would also agree that going to a single 1070 will drop the load significantly. I went from a 7970 to a 1080 and the loop dropped a few degrees, and the 7970 wasn't even overclocked (and the 1080 is).

yea im running a 420 360 and a 240 that much rad space should nearly run pasv lol yea my 7970s are running 1100/1650 on stock volts have been for years. Gonna load of folding and see what my cpu loads at what kinda temps do you get folding ?

6c differnce from card 1 to 2 seems rather high now used to be near identical.

Hmm... I am going to say my Sandy Hexcore 3.2 @ 4.4 hangs at high 50's to low 60's C in a 25 C room... I'll check when I get home, but it's worth mentioning that I am running the cheaper old version of the EK supremacy.

I drained the loop and taking GPUs apart my temps were with both GPUs and CPU folding I'd say 700watts of heat.

Wow- I had not really done the mental math but you are right, 700 watts is probably at least what you are dissipating....

took both blockxs apart they were both pretty clean no blockage i switched the cards around 1 likes to run 5c higher tho the other is running about 2-3c cooler then it did in the old case pulled 3 90s out to make sure they werent a problem and dont see any changes. Guess i need to leave it alone till i get my 1070/1080 droping down to 200 watts of heat vs 600+ from gpus should let me run with less fans and stay really cool.

Yea, could be... maybe in the other case the hot card happened to have an airstream on the backplate or something strange. It cracks me up sometimes how much art there is in fine tuning- I have probably switched my loop and overall case airflow around at least five times, and the best pattern (by 3 deg) is with the blowholes closed and a single exhaust fan by the cpu.

Oh- I was off, forgot I dropped to 4.2 on the hexcore, and it's stable at 52 degrees.

Funny thing my hot gpu runs same temps as the first or 2nd card and other card tops out at 40c i wonder if the tim needs to be replaced on it or like you was saying just had some air over it cooling it down some. One more factor these cards are starting to whine louder under load wonder if that could affect temps somehow.

It might- and I'll say that my 7970 started running a bit hotter toward the end- og, not ghz edition, under water for about half of it's life.

yea they just started to whine about a month ago never heard it befor then, While i was folding i noticed their was not alot of hot air coming out of my rads most of it was luke warm or cool so i might really be at limits of the gpu blocks and or tim needs to be replaced on the cards.

If you fold, the jump in PPD to a 1070 / 1080 will floor you. I'm doing almost 10x the PPD. :)

i dont really fold anymore really i used to got my 20mil points and kinda stoped to cut back on electric usage at one time i had 3-4 machines dedicated to folding and was top 50 on ocns team. Lol iv yet to get good temps on cpu block iv made them worse then befor lol and had to redo clamps cause damn thing started to leak i swear i think im gonna buy about 20 compression fittings and go that route clamps seem to suck now with newer tubing my old tubing had no problems.

I'm running Monsoon free center compressions (3/8-5/8) and have never had a leak. Plus they look cool.

nothing wrong with those- remember that the bigger hose will be more resistant to bending, but I've never used that size so I don't know how much...

Anyone else want to pipe up? (pun intended)

Yea i already using the 3/4 OD it is kinda tough to bend i had to be smart how i ran my loop, yea lol just been us 2 talking for 3+ days seems people with real custom loops is going down with the easy aio you can buy now.

Ah- I thought it looked bigger OD than 5/8... And the WC club will be back...

yea i kinda regret going to 3/4 i had 7/16 a couple years ago and it was so easy no need to use clamps on barbs easy to move around kinking could be a problem tho.

yea im tired of fighting with leaks lol seems like very barb has wanted to have a small drip leak even with clamps, so im thinking of getting some XSPC G1/4" to 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - Chrome Finish v2
http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-g1-4-to-1-2-id-3-4-od-compression-fitting-chrome-finish.html

XSPC compressions are the the best for the money and imo best gripping barb of the bunch and it doesn't tear your skin off like BP compression collars. That said, you are running way too much load for a single D5. First thing I would try is to go parallel on your gpus to alleviate some of that head pressure.

dont think i can go parallel with my cards with 2 differnt blocks i am going to 1 gpu come tax time tho going to pick up a msi 1070 sea hawk ek x or a evga 1080 hydro. I have removed some more 90s and cut out some tubing system and ofcourse added some more fans if i order the compressions im going to get some 45s so its not so hard on the pump.

WHITEWOLF.jpg

no they are 90s angled toward the front my psu sits in the bottom left of the rear.

Back