Surround Sound Reciever Advice

- NintendoFan -

Weaksauce
I'm new to the forums, so Hi everyone,

But I need some Advice on a Surround Sound reciver purphase. I was thinking about getting a Pioneer one, maybe the VSK-D812K or the VSK-D912K. For there good proformance and low price.

Although money really isn't too tight I don't want to spend a lot no more then $500. So, if you guys have any other suggestions for better recievers, that would be greatly appreciated.

For $500 I'd recommend picking up something like a harman/kardon 325-Z, which features 7.1 output support rather than 6.1, albeit with a per channel rating of 50W. H/K is one of the few amplifier manufacturers whose products consistantly put out more power then they rate them for, rather than less.

They also offer excellent prices on factory refurbs. If I was in the market for a 7.1 reciever now I'd be tempted to go for the 520-Z refurb with its HDCD decoding.

I doubt the Pioneers are the same quality as the h/k's in this price range, though I do prefer Pioneer as a budget brand over the likes of Sony and JVC (due to personal experience).

You might want to look around on line to see what Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, NAD and Marantz have in this price range (new and refurbed) also.
edit: retailers -> manufacturers

Originally posted by - NintendoFan -
I'm new to the forums, so Hi everyone,

But I need some Advice on a Surround Sound reciver purphase. I was thinking about getting a Pioneer one, maybe the VSK-D812K or the VSK-D912K. For there good proformance and low price.

Although money really isn't too tight I don't want to spend a lot no more then $500. So, if you guys have any other suggestions for better recievers, that would be greatly appreciated.

Although Pioneer is good as far as being a quality build, they are IMO in the lower end of receivers for audio quality, along with Sony, JVC, etc.

I strongly suggest you audition Yamaha or Denon receivers, as their audio quality is quite a few steps above the lower-end stuff. And for what you can spend, you can easily get a Yamaha or Denon receiver.

An example:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...93237&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031

Thanks for the replys,

Well it looks like I am going to go with Yamaha as they do seem to have a lot of features and quality. But if anyone has anymore suggestions that would be just great.

www.ecost.com is a authorized reseller of Harmon Kardon refurbs.

They have free shipping on orders >$25

Of particular note is...

Open Box AVR225 Home Theater Receiver $171.90

# Key Features:65 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD — or 55 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 00.7% THD (surround mode)
# EzSet remote
# Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II
# Logic 7 Cinema & Music modes
# VMAx virtual surround
# 192kHz/24-bit DACs
# digital inputs: 3 optical, 3 coaxial (1 of each on front panel)
# digital outputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
# 2 audio and 5 A/V (including 5 S-video, 1 front-panel, and one 5.1-channel) inputs
# preamp-level subwoofer output
# high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amp design
# binding posts for all speakers
# 1 set of main speaker outs
# 30 AM/FM presets
# 17-5/16"W x 6-9/16"H x 15-3/4"D

Wow I might just splurge and get that reciever GodsMadClown pointed out. It is only 5.1 but is there real any noticeable difference between a 5.1 system and a 6.1 system? If I do get that reciever what would be some good budgetty speakers to go with it?

Wow I might just splurge and get that reciever GodsMadClown pointed out.

The $172 H/K refurb? I thought your target price point was $500, so spending a little more than a third of that doesnt seem like splurging. ;)

It is a good deal, and while it is "only" 5.1, 6.1 is of limited use in most every application you can think of. If you want to go >5.1 I'd say stick with 7.1 so that you do not suffer future obsolescence. 5.1 should be sufficient for most anyone, however.

Ecost also has a refurb of the AVR 325 I originally recommended and you apparently werent excited about. It's $130 less in refurb, and it's 7.1.

I'm not the originator of this post, I was just commenting on the pretty good price for the reciever.

I can't recommend Harman strongly enough.

(1) Sound quality. Logic 7 is simply incredible. I have the AVR 7000, and I'm always surprised by how well L7 extracts surround information from stereo sources.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR7000-Z&status=

(2) Design. Further, the older models were fan-less, so no noise, and dust is kept to a minimum.

It is also true that Harmans have, in the past, exceeded power ratings in bench testing.

(3) Warranty. Harman also has a longer warranty than most, two years. I think that only Sony has a longer one (5 years). I think, but I'm not sure.

(4) Customer service. Plus, Harman's customer service is quite accessible. I have read accounts of people e-mailing complaining about remotes: Harman simply sent them a new one, no questions. Also, I've read where one customer had an offer for an upgrade at cost, due to problems with his purchase.

I myself have e-mailed and received a response within a business day.

(5) Reasonable cost to performance ratio.

I've seen the AVR 7200-Z (refurb) for $749 (free shipping).

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/search/s...t1=Go!&CurDSN=simple&calledfrom=1&incimage=on

But I know that this is out of your price range.

The 525 can be had in your price range.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=349081

$469.95 plus free shipping.

(6) Listening is believing! I was not originally an HK fan. Originally, I though the faceplate seemed a little cheap. But the overall build was exceptional, and the sound is truly great. The torroidal transformer and the sheer size of the capacitors in my 7000 indicate conscientious engineering.

(7) It’s straightforward and no nonsense. It is not gimmicky like other surround receivers with 5,000 sound modes, none of which you will never use. Outside of Dolby and DTS, the only other mode I use is Logic 7.

(8) But note that there have been some issues with quality. I’m not sure if these have been addressed. My 7000 has worked well for over two years though, and I’m pretty sure that it will continue to perform until I “need” to upgrade.

Hope this helps you out.

Denon is nice too, i just bought my girlfriend an denon avr 1600 on ebay for 150 shipped. I am currently using the 3802 from denon and am very happy. HDCD is a total waste of money...just make sure you receiver have atleast 6ch ext inputs (for dvd-a and sacd).

Back