Surround Headphones: Do they actually work?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
Because all our computers are in the same room (4 total), and I have not much more than a little corner to myself, 5.1 surround speakers isn't really an option. Instead, I have been considering a set of 5.1 headphones. My question is, do these things actually work? Do they actually simulate true 5.1 surround? If so, how is the sound quality? How is the bass? Does the bass sound thin like on a laptop, or do the headphones actually have a subwoofer in them? I'm pretty picky about my sound quality, so are these things for me?

I dunno, maybe between $50 and $100? I would be getting them with my next rig, so I won't take that big a hit if the headphones get thrown in there with the other $2,000 worth of parts.

just make sure the headphones have a sub woofer, and you should be fine :D

sac_tagg said:
I was considering a set of ZALMAN ZM-RS6F. Can anyone give me some feedback on these?
I have a pair, and they are absolutely HORRIBLE. They do have a decent soundstage, slightly better than my HD600s, but they sound worse than those cheapass earbuds at the doller stores. Low bass is non-existant (even when amped with a PPA with bassboost), everything sounds far away, muffled and plasticky (sp?), and when wearing them it sounds like you put two seashells on your ears.. If you care anything at all about sound quality, stay far far away. ;)
The Sennheiser HD497 is a good choice, they have a soundstage nearly as good as the Zalmans, and sound 10000000000000X better ;)

This surround sound headphones post always comes back up.

I stand by my statement that surround sound headphones are just a placebo.

Back