Surf Control Email FIlter

Method

Limp Gawd
Okay I took over control of the Surf Control spam filter at my new job a while back and pretty much walked into a mess. The previous person has everything locked down way to tight, and by that I mean his rule sets are very strict causing about 150-200 non spam emails a day to get caught. The temporary fix is that I have to go through the filter about once an hour and read and release a bunch of emails. My question is..Is this normal for Surf Control? I have administrated Pure Messenger and a bit of Blue Coat in the past but very minimally and not with the control over it I have now. Is this a normal thing for seasoned admins or is this because the previous admin who admitted he locked it down so he could catch stuff go way overboard? The previous admin is no longer here so that piece of the problem is gone. Thanks

From my experience as a previous Surf Control email filter admin... yes. The automated methods built into SC were decent, but I found I could improve its accuracy to nearly 100% by quarantining questionable emails. The rules system is very, very flexible, and given the architecture (with its real-time monitoring and quarantining built-in) it appeared to me that this was the way the system was designed to be used.

Take a look at what the system is catching, and you can decide to disable those rules or not.

Back