SuperMicro server cooling

Jeffman

Gawd
Hey guys,

Looking for an easy option to keep my server cool, while taking the volume down a bit. It is really quite loud.

One thing I'd like to do, is if I could find something that I could plug all 5 fans into, and control the speeds to help quiet them down. I'd like to see if there is something like a PCI slot fan controller that can control all 5 fans (I think they are 4 pin), so that I can turn the speed up and down with a knob, like a 3.5" or 5.25" fan controller. Does that exist?

Otherwise, I guess I could replace the fans, however it'd be a lot more cost to it.

Thoughts?

Not for a PCIe slot....youc an pickup something like an aquero (Alphacool makes one as well) that is an internal fan controller that is software controlled over USB.

This will lower your cooling power though when your running below spec

^ understood. It's very cool right now with the fans on "full" or whatever they run at. I'm willing to up the temps a little in exchange for it being a bit quieter.

I'd be willing to do some leg work and replace the fans, but I'd want something that can keep the temps manageable and the noise manageable as well. If I could cut the 80mm stuff out and do like 120mm fans, that would be okay with me, but I'm not good with custom mod work so I'd need some help/a write up on how to do it.

I'll check out that Alpahcool thing. Thanks!

EDIT: After looking at the Aquero LT, the cost is right around what I'd expect to replace the 80mm fans with something that has similar cooling and quieter. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll just replace the fans for that cost. Was hoping I could do this for about $30-$40.

Hi,

i'm using a SuperMicro SC748 case... quad Opteron motherboard, etc. In stock form way too noisy for workstation type use. About 50% of the noise was coming from the older style 1000w PSU modules. The rest from the stock non PWM fans (3 on rear and 3 in middle of the chassis).

To quiet things down almost completely... i replaced the stocker redundant power supplies with a PWS-1K41F-1R unit... plug in replacement. This newer PSU unit is about 10% more efficient, and varies the PSU fan speeds depending on load (its virtually silent almost all the time). The stocker 1000w PSUs... ran the tiny fans 100% all the time... not good.

As for the 6 chassis fans... what i did was get a Gelid fan controller (each fan channel rated for 30W)... and i just run the stock non PWM fans at the lowest speed with that - fans spin at around 1900 rpm. The final result is a case that is totally suitable for workstation home PC use.

The only noise really that is left are the Dynatron heat sinks on the 6180SE processors... i'll be taking care of that with 92mm style Noctua heat sinks (i'll replace the fans with PWM style units). The Dynatrons aren't too bad though... i can really only hear them now when the processors are under load.

pic:
2014-08-05193021_zps461ca214.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back