Supermicro Megaraid 3108 drive marked as UB, windows bad config on boot? raid 6

markm75

Gawd
I had a failing drive (in port 3) on the AOC-S3108L-H8iR card, so I put a brand new drive in its place. This is a raid 6 array of 8 drives, the OS was carved out of that.

I put the new drive in slot 3, it initially didn’t show as rebuilding, it was offline, so in the windows interface for this machine I did the option to bring online (it warned about bringing the drive online, i thought just a standard warning, i expected it to rebuild the array and be fine, but windows immediately bsod). Wondering if this broke the full array in some way, as now I get "bad system config info" bsod on booting windows server 2019.

So I booted up to the megaraid bios area. The "new" drive was marked UB, i tried to mark unconfg. good and now its foreign.

If i use a boot stick and boot to a command prompt i can actually see all the drive letters still there, so im not sure why windows is giving the bsod if the data is there. I just cant seem to figure out what to do to get the new drive detected correctly or mark it as hotspare (maybe i need to diskpart/clean it first)?

Im unsure if the OS/data in the raid 6 array are entirely corrupted nor can i seem to change the new drive to be a hotspare (and the old flaky drive now shows UB).

Anyone ran into this before?

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited:
on reboot at the bios prompt it asked to import the foreign disk, doing this it now says rebuilding.

I don’t suppose I should have done this to the flaky dying drive instead (which was also marked ub)? At this point I guess too late since it says 2% rebuilding?
(when I use the boot stick to get into 2019 windows, the c:\windows\system32\config folder is blank (not a good sign)

After a chkdsk /f , the data on the c drive reappeared (config folder), it then restarted normally and is doing a windows update finalization, unreal, never seen this happen before.

The easiest thing to do is from the Drive Management screen, choose the new drive and make it a Hot Spare ( I believe that card calls it a Global HS) and since you only have a single array it should automatically start to rebuild the degraded array.

Back