Supermicro 933 Fan replacement - Too noisy!

longblock454

2[H]4U
I'm looking to replace the fans in my Supermicro 933. According to the fans specs is has the following:

(4) 92x38, 5000rpm, 110cfm, 0.60 static IN H2O, 50db.
(2) 80x32, 5000rpm, 60cfm, 0.49 static IN H2), 47db.

I'm thinking the (4) 92s are causing the majority of the noise and am considering the following panaflow.

It is rated at 3450rpm, 68cfm and 43db. Assuming the specs are correct will 7db make the difference I'm looking for? There is one slower/quieter panaflow but I don't think it would cool properly, 2450rpm, 48cfm and 30db.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Your main problem is going to be the fans in the power supplies. They aren't replaceable and are rather loud (not to mention run even when the unit is turned off).

I was just about to say what the above poster said. You really gotta consider those power supply fans. They are are non standard and can't be replaced easily. It's probably bad for the power supplies to do lower the airflow anyway. I had the 24 port version of this and finally decided to sell it and get the norco because I couldn't do anything about the noise.

Your main problem is going to be the fans in the power supplies. They aren't replaceable and are rather loud (not to mention run even when the unit is turned off).

Mmmm, mine has never been turned off!

Thanks for bringing this up, I'm gonna pull all 4 of the 92s for a quick test and find out just how loud those are.

I'm gonna pull all 4 of the 92s for a quick test and find out just how loud those are.

Ok, pulling the 4 big 92mm made a HUGE difference! The PS fans are the quietest of the fans used.

Now I just need to decide on which replacements to get....

Ended up with (4) Panaflow FBA09A12H replacing the 92s and a couple of 80s I had laying around for the rear. WOW, what a difference, much quieter!

The FBA09A12Hs are 58CFM@2850rpm. According to my UPS it also saved about 50 watts. HD temps went up about 3F, still running in the upper 80s F.

Back