Super Nova Hot:WD 2TB Black SATA 64mb Drive WD2001FASS $128 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
newegg had 3TB drives for $129.99 shipped this week...

unless this 2TB WD Black cleans my room or makes me breakfast, I can't see it being anywhere near super nova reactor meltdown hide yo kids hide yo wife hot.

Seems lukewarm at best to be honest. That drive is massively overpriced to start with.

WDC black drives are generally more expensive but they come with better warranty terms 5 years i believe

newegg had 3TB drives for $129.99 shipped this week...

unless this 2TB WD Black cleans my room or makes me breakfast, I can't see it being anywhere near super nova reactor meltdown hide yo kids hide yo wife hot.

I didn't see the 3TB drive, but was it 5400 rpm? If so, then this drive should run faster. Plus, the warranty is for five years, and the normal hard drive warranty length is three years.

I didn't see the 3TB drive, but was it 5400 rpm? If so, then this drive should run faster. Plus, the warranty is for five years, and the normal hard drive warranty length is three years.

...and the person buying a "performance" 2TB hard drive will obsolete it within 18 months.

The $60 Samsung 2TB was super nova hot. This deal is for people who thought buying a Velociraptor was a good idea

The thing I worry about buying drives on ebay is if some dude were to ship it in a small flat rate box. I'd be pissed.

So contact first to find out.

I guess the plus side to this thread is that we established more levels of hot.

Yea apparently none of you saw the Target clearance deal for $70 that ended up having this 2TB black drive inside. That is likely who is still selling those on ebay.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=424785&t=2422493

Now that was HOTTT ^^^

Also the same drive from Staples was $50-$55 after coupon but they were all green drives.

The target deal was hot, but that black drive only had a one year warranty and no warranty once you take it out of the enclosure. The great thing about the WD black drives is the 5 year warranty.

Says who?

Yeah, 2TB's (at least the Samsungs, not this WD) are serious performance AND capacity for the dollar. Plenty fast for any of the rigs in my home except the one I use for HD editing and gaming.

Yeah, 2TB's (at least the Samsungs, not this WD) are serious performance AND capacity for the dollar. Plenty fast for any of the rigs in my home except the one I use for HD editing and gaming.

yeah and any of those rigs will also do just fine with a 5400 rpm drive as well, for half the price.

This Hot Deal is for the FASS drive. NOT ANY OTHER DRIVE. We are not talking about any other drive, or your opinions. We are talking about a FASS
The FASS goes for $159 - $179. you are saving $30-$50

that qualifies this a s a super nova hot deal

BTW, pretentious much?

I think the trend now for most people is to run an SSD drive as their main boot drive, for the faster speeds and 1, 2 or 3TB drives as their storage.

I am willing to bet most here will not go out of their way to spend more money on a 7200 rpm drive with 64meg cache drive.

3TB 5400rpm drive @ $99 - $129 would be my first choice.

When posting to hot deals, you have to use common sense and logic before placing a warm / hot / etc in front of the deal. Common sense places the deal in "warm" territory

I think this deal is not so bad. I'm strongly considering one of these drives to go with the 300GB SSD I'll be getting.

This Hot Deal is for the FASS drive. NOT ANY OTHER DRIVE. We are not talking about any other drive, or your opinions. We are talking about a FASS
The FASS goes for $159 - $179. you are saving $30-$50

that qualifies this a s a super nova hot deal

No, just no. It is luke warm at best. The drives are overpriced for retail. Just like the Gigabyte UD-9. That is like saying when a UD-9 goes on sale for $550 instead of $700 that it is a supernova hot deal.

This is not hot at all. Samsung F4 is just as good for much, much, much less. Why does anyone truly need a 7200 rpm 2TB drive? They are storage drives and nothing else. You fail!

No, just no. It is luke warm at best. The drives are overpriced for retail. Just like the Gigabyte UD-9. That is like saying when a UD-9 goes on sale for $550 instead of $700 that it is a supernova hot deal.

This is not hot at all. Samsung F4 is just as good for much, much, much less. Why does anyone truly need a 7200 rpm 2TB drive? They are storage drives and nothing else. You fail!

Just because the drives needs exceed yours does not make it something that others have no use for.

Why should we have low quality and high quality SSD drives. ONE DRIVE FOR ALL COMRADE.

Because some people just happen to have a differing opinion, view, status quo, arrogance, or desire than you. None of which impacts your life, so care less about it, and you'll be happier.

Because some people just happen to have a differing opinion, view, status quo, arrogance, or desire than you. None of which impacts your life, so care less about it, and you'll be happier.

Wouldn't you be happier if you just cared less about him and didn't respond? Oh wait...

This is actually a smokin deal you guys. Considering 1TB 7200s cost exactly half this much. You have to remember the throughput increase given the extra platters. At the 1TB mark on this drive it's still pumping out around 115MBps while a 1TB drive will be at it's lowest around 75MBps.

5400rpms is great for backup/storage/media servers etc. But these speedy WD drives are the perfect match to go with any SSD. SSD for all OS/APPS and this speedy WD for all your videos/music/photos/data etc.

This is actually very tempting, if I didn't already have a handful of 1TB Blue's I would love to grab a few of these to be my Raid 0 Audio/Video editing drive. Here's an HD Tune I found, it's not mine so I can't attest to the super low access times, I would have guessed more in the 11's, though that looks about right.

hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd200.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is actually a smokin deal you guys. Considering 1TB 7200s cost exactly half this much. You have to remember the throughput increase given the extra platters. At the 1TB mark on this drive it's still pumping out around 115MBps while a 1TB drive will be at it's lowest around 75MBps.

5400rpms is great for backup/storage/media servers etc. But these speedy WD drives are the perfect match to go with any SSD. SSD for all OS/APPS and this speedy WD for all your videos/music/photos/data etc.

This is actually very tempting, if I didn't already have a handful of 1TB Blue's I would love to grab a few of these to be my Raid 0 Audio/Video editing drive. Here's an HD Tune I found, it's not mine so I can't attest to the super low access times, I would have guessed more in the 11's, though that looks about right.

hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd200.png

Alright so your saying this performance drive is the perfect match for all the things that don't need performance?

Gotcha. Thanks.

Alright so your saying this performance drive is the perfect match for all the things that don't need performance?

Gotcha. Thanks.

I'm not biting dickhead. Because it says right there in my post 5400s are great for those that don't need performance. So piss off if you don't have something positive to contribute, nobody gives a rats about your assclown remarks.

I'm not biting dickhead. Because it says right there in my post 5400s are great for those that don't need performance. So piss off if you don't have something positive to contribute, nobody gives a rats about your assclown remarks.

Facts and logic no longer support your argument? No worries! Just spew random profanities! It's the internet! He who posts last wins!

$120 is pretty much normal price for a "performance" 2TB drive. That makes this anything but a "smokin deal." Good deal? Probably if only because of the 5 year warranty.

None of the tasks that you suggest for this drive require "performance" and would all be very well suited for the "media server" roles you tout as being perfect for a 5400rpm drive.

(I'll let you have the last one after this so you too can be a winner!)

Wait, I thought you said weren't biting. :D

None of the tasks that you suggest for this drive require "performance" and would all be very well suited for the "media server" roles you tout as being perfect for a 5400rpm drive.

I disagree with the highlighted portion of your statement. Working with large files and catalog sets in Lightroom and/or editing high definition video or audio files would most certainly benefit from the sustained (largely) sequential read speeds that these drives provide (140MB/s as opposed to 70~90 MB/s that you would get with a 5,400rpm drive) for operations that are bottlenecked by read speeds. I work with very large sets of data (many hundreds of channels of digital measurement data that are processed in Matlab) and there are significant gains to be had using fast, mechanical hard drives when you cannot afford to spend a lot of money on large SSD drives. If you need to process 100GB or more of data files in sequential reads then these drives are perfect for the money. Also, as the op correctly pointed out, if you are simply streaming media to your TV then a 5,400rpm drive will do just fine.

I disagree with the highlighted portion of your statement. Working with large files and catalog sets in Lightroom and/or editing high definition video or audio files would most certainly benefit from the sustained (largely) sequential read speeds that these drives provide (140MB/s as opposed to 70~90 MB/s that you would get with a 5,400rpm drive) for operations that are bottlenecked by read speeds. I work with very large sets of data (many hundreds of channels of digital measurement data that are processed in Matlab) and there are significant gains to be had using fast, mechanical hard drives when you cannot afford to spend a lot of money on large SSD drives. If you need to process 100GB or more of data files in sequential reads then these drives are perfect for the money. Also, as the op correctly pointed out, if you are simply streaming media to your TV then a 5,400rpm drive will do just fine.

They are great for that - in raid or other redundancy. Which by the time you properly secure the data 3-5x samsung F4's or 3-5x WD Blacks makes little difference.

A deal for the drive itself - yes. A deal for storage? no. Personally I'm waiting on the Hitachi 5k3000 3TBs to go back on sale for $109. Need 10 so worth waiting.

See the following for the HD204UI review - +- ~10% across the board and can be found for ~70-80.
http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_f4eg_review_hd204ui

True. The new generation of 2TB "Green" drives are also very very fast in similar situations.

I'll agree with all of this though I think your transfer rate numbers are skewed and not as relevant as you think in real world setups (see the redudancy post below.) The quote was alluding to the tasks stated though, not any theoretical usage under very atypical conditions.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1547827

Statement still stands. This is no "smokin deal." A sale on a massiverly overpriced item does not suddenly make that item OMGWOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back