Super-easy, reversible test PSU mod

server_error

Weaksauce
Sorry if this is old news, as it seems so simple that someone else must have figured it out by now, but I don't see it posted. I was in the process of modding an old powersupply into a test power supply to use for leak testing my watercooling setup, when I screwed up somehow and it wouldn't work. When I went to go find another psu to destroy, a thought dawned on me..... All you're doing in making a test psu is joining 2 wires inside together. So I cut off a piece of wire from the first power supply I destroyed, and used it to bridge the green wire of the mobo connector to the black wire next to it. Instant and easily reversible test power supply. Doesn't even void the warranty! I did a cursory search of the net, didn't notice anyone else had this, but I'm sure someone has thought of this. I'm still beating myself up for being dumb enough to rip up the other power supply and not seeing something as simple as this.

So here it is in simple steps:
1. Find a piece of wire, cut it down to about an inch and a half, size doesn't really matter
2. Strip both ends just a little, maybe about 1/4"
3. Grab the big cable that you would plug into your mobo for power
4. Stick one end of the wire in the socket on that connector of the green wire, then put the other in the socket for the black wire directly to it's left
5. Test to make sure you did it right, then put on some electrical tape to hold it in place
6. Done!

I'm sure someone else has figured this out, it's so simple.... but I didn't see it before, so I posted.

A couple of things to add:

Switched-mode power supplies are not designed to be operated without a load. Good PSUs will have specs indicating what minimum loads they need to ensure proper regulation. A couple of 10w power resistor, one each for the +5 and the +12 would suffice.
That being said, i've run PSUs as testers without more load than a fan, and been fine, so YMMV. But if you're having problems with the PSU shutting off, add some load and see if that helps. Also, I've found solid-core copper wire or a paper clip works the best.

server_error said:
I'm sure someone else has figured this out, it's so simple.... but I didn't see it before, so I posted.
It's nothing new, I'm afraid, but it is a very useful technique :)

I remember the first time I tried to show that to a freind of mine
only to not have it work :p

with no load, it wouldnt turn on
which I found disconcerting, since it had worked on every single PSU Id tried it on before :p

Back